Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mom Jailed Over Homeschooling Decision?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Mom Jailed Over Homeschooling Decision?

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

http://www.wkbw.com/news/was-buffalo-mo ... g-decision

I hope there is something seriously missing from this story....otherwise this is VERY disturbing. Maybe Mrs. DeVos can have some influence here as others have suggested she should have...
Last edited by audiophile on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Re: Mom Jailed For Homeschooling?

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 pm

audiophile wrote:http://www.wkbw.com/news/was-buffalo-mo ... g-decision

I hope there is something seriously missing from this story....otherwise this is VERY disturbing. Maybe Mrs. DeVos can have some influence here as others have suggested she should have...
While you are busy jumping at the headline those of us who understand what happens when paperwork is involved know that it's a miscommunication along the line somewhere... not an arrest because she decided to homeschool... nowhere does it say it's illegal to do so...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:17 pm

The arrest was a chain reaction result of homeschooling that triggered a CPS order, a call for pickup and the Mom objecting.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Shuts Up

Re: Mom Jailed Over Homeschooling Decision?

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Just about anybody with a halfway decent computer and the right software can do home schooling. Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Why do authorities insist on using sledgehammers and expect people to "respect their authoritaaay" when a velvet tinkertoy hammer would work?

The President of the United States can be gone most of the time golfing and on vacations, and the country operates just fine 99% of the time. That just shows us that our jobs are the important ones, not the POTUS, and not just about all other politicians who make these silly laws and regulations.

Those who can do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, supervise. Those who can't teach or supervise run for public office.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 pm

audiophile wrote:The arrest was a chain reaction result of homeschooling that triggered a CPS order, a call for pickup and the Mom objecting.
At some level there was a misunderstanding, the article even says the circumstances under which home schooling is allowed, something in district or CPS records must conflict with that procedure. It's much ado about nothing and not some kind of government terrorizing the innocent scenario despite the click bait headline that was never really discussed beyond that. There's more to this story...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:59 am

I don't think homeschooling for a month should ever be a reason to yank the children from the home. Summer vacation is longer than a month.

If it was a misunderstanding it wouldn't have taken three weeks to get it resolved.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:The President of the United States can be gone most of the time golfing and on vacations, and the country operates just fine 99% of the time.
The president is never "on vacation". Where do you think the "Nuclear Football" is when the president is "on vacation"?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:09 pm

audiophile wrote:I don't think homeschooling for a month should ever be a reason to yank the children from the home. Summer vacation is longer than a month.

If it was a misunderstanding it wouldn't have taken three weeks to get it resolved.
Do you think people like to admit mistakes or that they are easy to find? First they have find time to address it, then they have to find who to address it with... it's pretty involved at that point... but if you want to just armchair this go ahead I guess...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Virtually all home-schooled folks I've encountered are well-mannered and intelligent. I know of several who performed very well in collegiate endeavors and went on to rewarding careers.

I do think there needs to be monitoring of home schooling (i.e. make sure someone is actually giving the child proper instruction), but on the whole, I am supportive of home schooling.

Does anyone out there know of a home schooled individual who turned out to be illiterate, subpar with regard to use of the English language, or incapable of achieving gainful employment? I personally do not. If there are examples to share, let's hear 'em!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic