Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Your opinion, please

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Your opinion, please

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 am

Bryce wrote:
Calvert DeForest wrote: One thing that gives me hope about the new president is his negotiation skills. Ronald Reagan, love him or hate him, was able to reach across the aisle and compromise. At the end of the day he could have a beer with Tip O'Neil and hammer things out.
Unfortunately Calvert, these are different times. In the Reagan era, the House and the Senate weren't populated with Democrats that were left wing loons and radicals. Part of the reason Reagan could sit down with Tip O'Neil was because of Tip O'Neil. I don't see the same thing happening with the likes of Chuck Schumer, Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.

Republicans may have to fight to win and forget negotiations. Sort of like what the left did on Christmas Eve seven years ago. There wasn't any deal making or compromise. Remember? "Elections have consequences. We won".
I somewhat agree. Tip was more like Joe Biden.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 am

audiophile wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Calvert DeForest wrote: One thing that gives me hope about the new president is his negotiation skills. Ronald Reagan, love him or hate him, was able to reach across the aisle and compromise. At the end of the day he could have a beer with Tip O'Neil and hammer things out.
Unfortunately Calvert, these are different times. In the Reagan era, the House and the Senate weren't populated with Democrats that were left wing loons and radicals. Part of the reason Reagan could sit down with Tip O'Neil was because of Tip O'Neil. I don't see the same thing happening with the likes of Chuck Schumer, Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.

Republicans may have to fight to win and forget negotiations. Sort of like what the left did on Christmas Eve seven years ago. There wasn't any deal making or compromise. Remember? "Elections have consequences. We won".
I somewhat agree. Tip was more like Joe Biden.
Brings up something I thought about.... what it if it was Biden vs. Trump? My gut says Biden wins...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:33 am

NS8401 wrote: Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter, Michelle Bachmann, Marsha Blackburn, Steve King, Steve Scalise... plenty of folks who say whacked out things and have whacked out ideas and that's not even getting into the religious far right... please don't bother pretending one side is sane and one is insane... both are freakin nuts... so you understand I'm not a Democrat per se... over time I've become more of a left leaning libertarian...
I understand your point. Media pundits certainly do have an effect on the political climate even though they may not hold office. However, the majority of those elected to Congress from both left and right are fairly tempered. Sure, we get the occasional Bernie Sanders and Michelle Bachmann, but they're more the exception than the rule. Even Mr. Courser and Ms. Gamrat, during their (thankfully) short tenures in our state legislature, were offset by cooler heads.
Brings up something I thought about.... what it if it was Biden vs. Trump? My gut says Biden wins...
My gut says you're right. Even though Biden was part of "the establishment", he was old-school. I have to admire his decision to put his family and personal life above the allure of the presidency, although I think he would have made for a pragmatic chief executive.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I haven't posted much in this forum since Trump's victory because there just hasn't been much to talk about.

What bugs me is how much better the left is at protesting than the right is. They know how to play up the media and get positive 24/7 coverage. The tea party movement, however, got much more negative media coverage.

What concerns me more than anything about the political mood of this country is just how many people have COMPLETELY UTTER CONTEMPT for not only Trump, but for each and every of the 60 million people who voted for him. We were quite a divided country during Obama's tenure, but its 10x that under Trump.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 pm

bmw wrote:I haven't posted much in this forum since Trump's victory because there just hasn't been much to talk about.

What bugs me is how much better the left is at protesting than the right is. They know how to play up the media and get positive 24/7 coverage. The tea party movement, however, got much more negative media coverage.

What concerns me more than anything about the political mood of this country is just how many people have COMPLETELY UTTER CONTEMPT for not only Trump, but for each and every of the 60 million people who voted for him. We were quite a divided country during Obama's tenure, but its 10x that under Trump.
There are literally two cultures now... rural and urban...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

There are times I seriously wonder if we'd be better off if the US was split into 3 separate countries - the 3 west coast states, the Northeast, and everywhere else.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 pm

NS8401 wrote: There are literally two cultures now... rural and urban...
I'd say three...

Rural, urban and suburban.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
NS8401 wrote: There are literally two cultures now... rural and urban...
I'd say three...

Rural, urban and suburban.
4... Deep South and Midwest couldn't be together alone. Maybe even the libertarian intermountain west would be a 5th.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:07 pm

If you go back to say 1972 when Nixon wanted to put Nationalized Health Care on the table but due to some of his other problems he was advised to put it on hold.
It's more like the whole scene has slowly shifted to the right. Do you think Dick or Barry could even get an invite to the convention?

I think another way of saying, "he's not my Prez.." is "We will not pass anything this President proposes.." and "Our job is to make this a one term President."

On Netflix is a very eye opening series on US History by Oliver Stone. It points out a lot of little things that the school books won't have space for. For instance VP Wallace (FDR) was forced out because he had 'Progressive ideas'. The CIA once employed group that included Ayatollah Khomeini to overthrow the elected government because the West wanted better access to the oil.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:I don't recall million persons marches saying not my president.
No but I do remember tea party matches saying that... I remember birthers saying that... the reaction to Obama was not without its outrage from the right. I think here some anarchists got mixed in among the regular protesters.
I 100% do not remember the Conservatives saying "not my President". They hated his views and they did question his birthplace. But they never said "Not my President." They acknowledged that he was the President. that line only came from liberals during the Bush years and now Trump.

Have you been to a Tea Party rally?? I have. I never once saw that slogan used.
Do you know who tweeted "Not My President" after Obama was reelected? No hints...
No idea. If you have a link from a reputable site I will stand corrected

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:I don't recall million persons marches saying not my president.
No but I do remember tea party matches saying that... I remember birthers saying that... the reaction to Obama was not without its outrage from the right. I think here some anarchists got mixed in among the regular protesters.
I 100% do not remember the Conservatives saying "not my President". They hated his views and they did question his birthplace. But they never said "Not my President." They acknowledged that he was the President. that line only came from liberals during the Bush years and now Trump.

Have you been to a Tea Party rally?? I have. I never once saw that slogan used.
Do you know who tweeted "Not My President" after Obama was reelected? No hints...
No idea. If you have a link from a reputable site I will stand corrected
How about video of someone saying it? I couldn't find the one I saw the other day... it was a Trump tweet...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl2zN0Pm7W0

Google "Obama Not My President" and marvel at all the hats, memes and stickers that great minds who thought alike created to express this heartfelt sentiment...

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 pm

I was never a fan of President Obama and I don't know if time will change things. I disagreed with the divisive class warfare/anti-corporation stuff he pushed during the candidacy stage. His racial positions also sounded divisive and almost as if he was trying to not only divide people by label, but potential build up an environment that would cause potential race riots. His preachers sermons bothered me. His connections to Bill Aires concerned me.
But, he got elected. He was going to be the President for 4-8 years and there was nothing I could do. I debated people who were so adoring and obsessed with the man that they lost their temper and screamed at people for criticizing him, no matter how constructive. But I realized that he was going to be the President so I had to deal with it. I let him speak and critiqued his speeches and responses. I never agreed with them, but I gave him a chance to speak and act regardless. I did not like him politically or personally. But, I couldnt change the result of the vote so I accepted what we were given.
As far as Trump, I never liked him way before he entered the election. He was always arrogant and egotistical. I don't believe he was serious even on election night. To me, it was a scheme to bring attention to himself and make the election more interesting to tv viewers with his brashness and outrageous comments.I admit, I voted for him...very reluctantly. Mostly because Hillary made some comments about people having to give up religious beliefs, and bashing Catholics. Unlike Trumps Muslim comments, I actually think she meant it. I was afraid that she was going to appoint far-left activist Supreme Court justices that would try to use warped, manipulated, distorted logic that were never supposed to be interpreted from the original documents. I am big on a traditional, strict interpretation. I didnt care for Trump saying he wanted "Pro-life" judges, because that also showed activism, but I don't think that a majority of cases they will hear will be abortion-related. Third, he is a businessman. He has had to make deals with real-world people, not inside a political bubble. Its not personal. Politicians meet up with dignitaries over fancy steak dinners, try to be friends, and be an ambassador. a businessman has no problem telling another why his country sucks, why they are taking their businesses, why they DON'T like working with them, etc. Politicians whine about jobs leaving the country when their own policies may be responsible for it. Trump himself has used foreign labor and therefore has a clue why its done-and what needs to happen to stop it.
I admit, I'm worried. trump is still the egomaniac too busy selling his own brand. He is having trouble getting good cabinet members because no one wants to work with him.I am very scared that he will be replaced in 4 years by someone even farther left than Obama, who was way too left for me. But I'm still not convinced he's serious.
Trump used to be a Democrat and a member of the reform party. He is on tape supporting socialized medicine, higher taxes for the rich, and pro-choice positions. He's taken a real right turn. I have to wonder if my suspicions were true and that mike Pence is pulling the strings-and being groomed to take over before the end of the term.
I don't know how seriously to take him. But he's what we have. Like I did with Obama, I'll hear what he has to say and critique it afterwards.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:I was never a fan of President Obama and I don't know if time will change things. I disagreed with the divisive class warfare/anti-corporation stuff he pushed during the candidacy stage. His racial positions also sounded divisive and almost as if he was trying to not only divide people by label, but potential build up an environment that would cause potential race riots. His preachers sermons bothered me. His connections to Bill Aires concerned me.
But, he got elected. He was going to be the President for 4-8 years and there was nothing I could do. I debated people who were so adoring and obsessed with the man that they lost their temper and screamed at people for criticizing him, no matter how constructive. But I realized that he was going to be the President so I had to deal with it. I let him speak and critiqued his speeches and responses. I never agreed with them, but I gave him a chance to speak and act regardless. I did not like him politically or personally. But, I couldnt change the result of the vote so I accepted what we were given.
As far as Trump, I never liked him way before he entered the election. He was always arrogant and egotistical. I don't believe he was serious even on election night. To me, it was a scheme to bring attention to himself and make the election more interesting to tv viewers with his brashness and outrageous comments.I admit, I voted for him...very reluctantly. Mostly because Hillary made some comments about people having to give up religious beliefs, and bashing Catholics. Unlike Trumps Muslim comments, I actually think she meant it. I was afraid that she was going to appoint far-left activist Supreme Court justices that would try to use warped, manipulated, distorted logic that were never supposed to be interpreted from the original documents. I am big on a traditional, strict interpretation. I didnt care for Trump saying he wanted "Pro-life" judges, because that also showed activism, but I don't think that a majority of cases they will hear will be abortion-related. Third, he is a businessman. He has had to make deals with real-world people, not inside a political bubble. Its not personal. Politicians meet up with dignitaries over fancy steak dinners, try to be friends, and be an ambassador. a businessman has no problem telling another why his country sucks, why they are taking their businesses, why they DON'T like working with them, etc. Politicians whine about jobs leaving the country when their own policies may be responsible for it. Trump himself has used foreign labor and therefore has a clue why its done-and what needs to happen to stop it.
I admit, I'm worried. trump is still the egomaniac too busy selling his own brand. He is having trouble getting good cabinet members because no one wants to work with him.I am very scared that he will be replaced in 4 years by someone even farther left than Obama, who was way too left for me. But I'm still not convinced he's serious.
Trump used to be a Democrat and a member of the reform party. He is on tape supporting socialized medicine, higher taxes for the rich, and pro-choice positions. He's taken a real right turn. I have to wonder if my suspicions were true and that mike Pence is pulling the strings-and being groomed to take over before the end of the term.
I don't know how seriously to take him. But he's what we have. Like I did with Obama, I'll hear what he has to say and critique it afterwards.
I'm just here for the ride... that's why I've turned to all the fact stuff... not much I can do about it so why stress? Knowing the facts also means I'm not freezing my ass off outside protesting...

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:01 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Bryce wrote:

Unfortunately Bryce the right is filled with loons and wackos... you're not winning the argument by pretending one side is sane and the other isn't... it's not so...
Like who?
There is nobody on the right as radical, far from the center, and delusional as Bernie. Even Ted Cruz is closer to the center than Bernie.
Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter, Michelle Bachmann, Marsha Blackburn, Steve King, Steve Scalise... plenty of folks who say whacked out things and have whacked out ideas and that's not even getting into the religious far right... please don't bother pretending one side is sane and one is insane... both are freakin nuts... so you understand I'm not a Democrat per se... over time I've become more of a left leaning libertarian...
Malkin and coulter are pundits and part of their job is to exaggerate with hyperbole. I always thought that Coulter was laughing all the way to bank that people took her seriously.
On a similar note, let me ask this. why are there NO moderates left in the Democratic party? Every position they take is left of center. Not true of all Republicans. Conservatives have criticisized Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval for being a "RINO". Theyve said he straddles the left on a lot of issues. Mass. Governor Charlie Baker is a moderate, not far from the center-though that may be out of neccesity in such a blue state. Even Rick Snyder is more concerned about results than party. He did not endorse a candidate and looks at things from a results-oriented approach, not whether or not it boosts his party. Socially he has a moderate streak. Maine Sen. Susan Collins is also more moderate and sometimes helps the Democrats. Where are the Democrats who sometimes lean slightly right on an issue or two? Where are openly pro-life Democrats?
Elements of the Republican party are moving further right, sure. Bachmann is an example. But they still have moderates that sometimes cross over or straddle the center, and never have a position too far to the right. Are there any Democrats that always take moderate stances and even some borderline conservatives? thats why I say that the Democratic party is far more left than the Republicans are right. They all subscribe to every position of the party. Some republicans stray toward the center or mild left.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Bryce wrote:

Unfortunately Bryce the right is filled with loons and wackos... you're not winning the argument by pretending one side is sane and the other isn't... it's not so...
Like who?
There is nobody on the right as radical, far from the center, and delusional as Bernie. Even Ted Cruz is closer to the center than Bernie.
Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter, Michelle Bachmann, Marsha Blackburn, Steve King, Steve Scalise... plenty of folks who say whacked out things and have whacked out ideas and that's not even getting into the religious far right... please don't bother pretending one side is sane and one is insane... both are freakin nuts... so you understand I'm not a Democrat per se... over time I've become more of a left leaning libertarian...
Malkin and coulter are pundits and part of their job is to exaggerate with hyperbole. I always thought that Coulter was laughing all the way to bank that people took her seriously.
On a similar note, let me ask this. why are there NO moderates left in the Democratic party? Every position they take is left of center. Not true of all Republicans. Conservatives have criticisized Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval for being a "RINO". Theyve said he straddles the left on a lot of issues. Mass. Governor Charlie Baker is a moderate, not far from the center-though that may be out of neccesity in such a blue state. Even Rick Snyder is more concerned about results than party. He did not endorse a candidate and looks at things from a results-oriented approach, not whether or not it boosts his party. Socially he has a moderate streak. Maine Sen. Susan Collins is also more moderate and sometimes helps the Democrats. Where are the Democrats who sometimes lean slightly right on an issue or two? Where are openly pro-life Democrats?
Elements of the Republican party are moving further right, sure. Bachmann is an example. But they still have moderates that sometimes cross over or straddle the center, and never have a position too far to the right. Are there any Democrats that always take moderate stances and even some borderline conservatives? thats why I say that the Democratic party is far more left than the Republicans are right. They all subscribe to every position of the party. Some republicans stray toward the center or mild left.
Manchin, Heitkamp, Stabenow, Peters, Tester... none of them qualify as remotely Sanders level liberals... they are all moderates... The house has been mostly by Republicans 8 ways to Sunday so it isn't as good a measure of moderate or not for either party... since all the few Democratic lock districts are concentrated with Democrats you are going to elect a blue dog as easily. Such are the spoils of 2/3rds of the governors mansions and state legislators being under Republican control. The party has never had more power than it does right now. Literally the Democrats have a few legislatures, 20 governorships and the senate filibuster. Everything else is bright red... the flip side is that they had better deliver because there's nobody to scapegoat if there is a failure...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic