Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Conservatives awarded hypocrite accolades

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Conservatives awarded hypocrite accolades

Post by Bryce » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Turkeytop wrote: Another of our dirty secrets is that we had slavery in Canada and it continued long after it had been abolished in the U.S. Whereas the U.S. emancipated all of its slaves, we ended slavery here in typically Canadian fashion. The buying and selling of slaves was outlawed and a law was passed that said no one could be born into slavery. But existing slaves remained slave for the rest of their days.
As a young man, my wife's grandfather was an indentured servant on a farm in Canada. I think he was paid room, board and 6.00 a month. Not a slave, but damn close. He too got a "free ride" to his new country.

Betcha he would have loved to have a TurkeyTop type individual to start a union for him!!!!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes. The white man here butchered OUR native countrymen, as well.

However there is no comparison - Canada vs USA - when we're reviewing the history of the legal institution of slavery - here in The United States verses your country, TurkTop.

It's simply not the same.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm

My question is how do we go forward? In most of the examples given here, people from the same ethnic background as the original perpetrators fought and died to end these injustices. Our Civil War was fought over a number of issues, slavery being one of them.....600,000 nearly exclusively white, virtually all male northern US soldiers died putting an end to the matter of slavery as part of it.

Does that count..............at all.......while we beat our breasts in historical shame? How much White Guilt is enough? The problem of slavery came into being, and within a generation or two, a lot of otherwise uninvolved white male people died bringing it to and end. Doesn't' that count?

We screwed the 'Indians' 100+ years ago......we've done most everything asked and everything we can to give them a leg up, and ended in up in many ways screwing up the Indian cultures doing so....what more can be done.....does self-flagellation and dancing around on message boards shaming ourselves (5 generations later) fix something?

Do reparations 'make it all better' somehow? If so, how long do reparations last? 3 generations? 6? Forever?

Not everything from the past can be 'fixed'. The Church (name your favorite) committed atrocities in the name of furthering their individual interpretation of worshiping God. How do we make that all better?

Should the German people, most of whom have forebears that watched it happen, somehow be held forever responsible for the extermination of six million Jews?

How about Japan? Virtually everyone there have ancestors that fought in WWII, invaded China and Korea and enslaved people.....participated in Unit 731 (read about it and lay awake tonight shivering).....and more. Since they are not white, are they somehow forgiven from the need to beat their breasts with guilt (I can deal with that), and the requirement for reparations (those I cannot)?

Do we even learn as 'world' from all this? We did in some instances, but generally No. Witness Aleppo......Iraq v. the Kurds....the papers are full of more bad news every day.

If you want to beat your breasts and blame yourselves, that last one is valid. Brave men and women, mostly white and in disproportionate numbers from the US fought and died to end the other injustices. We all seem to forget what is going on right now, though.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic