Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Electoral Vote

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

Electoral Vote

Post by zzand » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Was surprised that no one else had posted this but the voting has gone as expected, Mr. Trump will take office in January. Not shocked all the posturing and what have you failed to turn the electors. Congratulations to Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton has now lost this election three times, election day, the abortion of a recount effort and now the Electoral vote...Has it sunk it yet, she lost.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Electoral Vote

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 pm

zzand wrote:Was surprised that no one else had posted this but the voting has gone as expected, Mr. Trump will take office in January. Not shocked all the posturing and what have you failed to turn the electors. Congratulations to Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton has now lost this election three times, election day, the abortion of a recount effort and now the Electoral vote...Has it sunk it yet, she lost.
Really this is the one and only win for Mr. Trump. Todays voting is the only one that matters.

The countdown to crisis only shrinks faster from here...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:52 pm

How Republics End

Paul Krugman

Many people are reacting to the rise of Trumpism and nativist movements in Europe by reading history — specifically, the history of the 1930s. And they are right to do so. It takes willful blindness not to see the parallels between the rise of fascism and our current political nightmare.

But the ’30s isn’t the only era with lessons to teach us. Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the ancient world. Initially, I have to admit, I was doing it for entertainment and as a refuge from news that gets worse with each passing day. But I couldn’t help noticing the contemporary resonances of some Roman history — specifically, the tale of how the Roman Republic fell.

Here’s what I learned: Republican institutions don’t protect against tyranny when powerful people start defying political norms. And tyranny, when it comes, can flourish even while maintaining a republican facade.

On the first point: Roman politics involved fierce competition among ambitious men. But for centuries that competition was constrained by some seemingly unbreakable rules. Here’s what Adrian Goldsworthy’s “In the Name of Rome” says: “However important it was for an individual to win fame and add to his and his family’s reputation, this should always be subordinated to the good of the Republic … no disappointed Roman politician sought the aid of a foreign power.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/op ... s-end.html
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 pm

The progressive movement is a much bigger harbinger of tyranny and fascism than Republicanism could ever be.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:23 pm

Kinda funny that for all the chatter about Trump electors defecting that in the end there were more Hillary electors (4) who defected (than Trump's 2).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Bryce wrote:The progressive movement is a much bigger harbinger of tyranny and fascism than Republicanism could ever be.
cite your evidence. Are you suggesting the many ways that Trump has broken with responsible leadership is better than the way our country has run for the past 100 years? And when you realize he's in it for his interests and the interest of other billionaires what will you be able to do to stop it?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Donald Trump is mentally ill with NPD. And it is astounding to watch and read over and over again commentary by experienced political observers who are endlessly surprised at Trump's actions and reactions in any situation that's noteworthy.

They're always taken aback and disturbed because they assume he is mentally healthy - instead of mentally ill. If only they would memorize the symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder mixed with Attention Deficit Disorder symptoms they would not be blindsided by his actions and reactions in what he says and does.

They need to get real and start expecting his unprecedented actions, reactions, thoughts, words, deeds.
However they'll always be unable to expect and even predict his choices as long as they refuse to admit the guy is absolutly mentally ill.

Right now just about the only two people who can anticipate Trump's moves and mouth are Vlad Putin and Phil whats-his-name - who was the ghost writer for Trump's book "The Art of the Deal."

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Trump is a centrist. Why are you people are so paranoid about him? He won't be nearly as bad as you think. Bringing back some jobs? Keeping terrorists out? Bringing our military back to a level consistent with US importance in the world? How is that so radical?
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:24 pm

I liked the guy on Hannity's radio show that tried to pass off Trump as coming from a working class start in Queens so that's why he connects with working class people... :lol

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

TC Shuts Up wrote: Why are you people are so paranoid about him? He won't be nearly as bad as you think.

That should help everyone sleep a whole lot easier.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:22 am

Rampant paranoia. Love it.

You folks need to stop smoking all that pot that you want to legalize so badly.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:28 am

Waiting on Jill Stein to demand a recount of the Electoral votes. :rollin

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 am

I was not a fan of either candidate.
I have been hoping that Trump would begin to act more "presidential" after the win but that is not happening IMO.
The United States will survive the next 4 years. If I was a betting man I would very much say Trump will be a one term President. I would also say that, IMO, an impeachment would be more likely than a second term as an alternative to four years.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:53 am

craig11152 wrote:I was not a fan of either candidate.
I have been hoping that Trump would begin to act more "presidential" after the win but that is not happening IMO.
The United States will survive the next 4 years. If I was a betting man I would very much say Trump will be a one term President. I would also say that, IMO, an impeachment would be more likely than a second term as an alternative to four years.
He doesn't have nearly a thick enough skin... he snaps and lashes out at the drop of a hat...

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 am

TC Talks wrote:How Republics End

Paul Krugman

Many people are reacting to the rise of Trumpism and nativist movements in Europe by reading history — specifically, the history of the 1930s. And they are right to do so. It takes willful blindness not to see the parallels between the rise of fascism and our current political nightmare.

But the ’30s isn’t the only era with lessons to teach us. Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the ancient world. Initially, I have to admit, I was doing it for entertainment and as a refuge from news that gets worse with each passing day. But I couldn’t help noticing the contemporary resonances of some Roman history — specifically, the tale of how the Roman Republic fell.

Here’s what I learned: Republican institutions don’t protect against tyranny when powerful people start defying political norms. And tyranny, when it comes, can flourish even while maintaining a republican facade.

On the first point: Roman politics involved fierce competition among ambitious men. But for centuries that competition was constrained by some seemingly unbreakable rules. Here’s what Adrian Goldsworthy’s “In the Name of Rome” says: “However important it was for an individual to win fame and add to his and his family’s reputation, this should always be subordinated to the good of the Republic … no disappointed Roman politician sought the aid of a foreign power.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/op ... s-end.html
ALWAYS with the Hitler comparison. You really need to expand your playbook. Aren't you headed to France anyway?

Krugman is a certified piece of shit and a partisan hack.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic