Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump Wins...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Shuts Up

Re: Trump Wins...

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Why did it take so long to call Michigan? It wasn't that close. It's not like they were going to make a difference. Was it for a future call for eliminating the Electoral College, something that the parties blow hot and cold on depending on the particular election?

And why was the Gary Johnson vote so far below the polls? I always thought that he was the Ross Perot of the 2016 election, and that Johnson was anticipated to take the Right leaning Libertarians away from Trump. However, the Libertarians are now overrun with one issue voters-Marijuana legalization promoters-who lean Left.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:53 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:Why did it take so long to call Michigan? It wasn't that close. It's not like they were going to make a difference. Was it for a future call for eliminating the Electoral College, something that the parties blow hot and cold on depending on the particular election?

And why was the Gary Johnson vote so far below the polls? I always thought that he was the Ross Perot of the 2016 election, and that Johnson was anticipated to take the Right leaning Libertarians away from Trump. However, the Libertarians are now overrun with one issue voters-Marijuana legalization promoters-who lean Left.
Michigan was pretty close...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:20 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:Why did it take so long to call Michigan? It wasn't that close. It's not like they were going to make a difference. Was it for a future call for eliminating the Electoral College, something that the parties blow hot and cold on depending on the particular election?

The Libertarian Party has always been saddled with the stigma of being a party for "Republicans who want to smoke dope". Fact is, there is much more to the LP platform that has never been explored by most voters. Education is one example. One of the driving factors for me in this election was my opposition to Common Core. Gary Johnson was one of the few candidates I saw actually address its pitfalls, or even discuss it at all for that matter.

As long as the mainstream media continues to ignore third-party candidates and deny them adequate exposure to get their messages across, it will be business as usual. Say what you want about PBS, but they're the only major network I've encountered that has afforded more than a blip to third parties over the years.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 am

Gary Johnson was so pro-pot it made my roll my eyes (He is/was pot company CEO), so Gary Johnson did nothing to dispel the pot notion.

His Aleppo response was uninformed and lackadaisical.

He was weak on borders and illegal immigration (some thing feds should actually take care of)

He was anti-states rights on title IX.

They should have ran his VP - he ran before and had a weak showing. He would be ok as a VP.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:15 am

audiophile wrote:Gary Johnson was so pro-pot it made my roll my eyes (He is/was pot company CEO), so Gary Johnson did nothing to dispel the pot notion.
Understandable, although I'm probably more "liberal" on the whole pot thing. I put it in quotes because I actually see marijuana legalization/decriminalization as more of a conservative position, as I believe the government should decrease their involvement in it (at least on the federal level). Regulate it like alcohol and tobacco.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 am

I would disagree on the last part - I see it as gateway drug.

I think sale and possession in public should be severely restricted to the very rare cases of medical use.

I don't think we should be raiding a person's home or enclosed yards over personal quantities of it.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:01 am

audiophile wrote:I would disagree on the last part - I see it as gateway drug.
I don't know how much of a gateway drug it is or isn't.
I know that "XX% of crackheads started with pot" is the wrong indicator.
The right indicator should be "XX% of pot smokers go on to hard drugs"
I seem to see a lot of reference to the first indicator but very little on the second.
I no longer directly engage trolls

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 am

TC Shuts Up wrote: Second, it is a reaction to the contempt shown for the Middle Class and Working Class in the private sector.

Third, (Hard Science and Applied Science) educated people who supported Trump (not the Ivy League Journalism and Soft Science types) were sick and tired of being called uneducated.
This.
The media and celebrity butt hurt is a thing of beauty. The fact that all the sneering was alienating half of their audience/fan base seemed to escape them.
Won't last, of course.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:06 am

audiophile wrote:I would disagree on the last part - I see it as gateway drug.

I think sale and possession in public should be severely restricted to the very rare cases of medical use.

I don't think we should be raiding a person's home or enclosed yards over personal quantities of it.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the first part. I think the "gateway" label could be applied to any recreational drug, including alcohol. Same with the potential for abuse. It exists no matter what, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will abuse it, or that it will lead to stronger stuff.

On the last part, I totally agree. Far too much law-enforcement resource has been wasted on chasing down people who grow small quantities for personal use on their own private property. It's costly to taxpayers, and the cops have bigger fish to fry. I also don't want to pay for someone's night in the county lockup just because they were busted smoking a joint in their living room or growing a few pot plants in their basement.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:10 pm

I see Michigan still hasn't been called. Trump appears to have a razor thin lead.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm

He won, I just think no one cares to updates things because Hillary conceded.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:16 pm

I'll not argue on whether pot is good, bad, a gateway drug, or will grow hair on your chest.
But I have always felt it's a tremendous waste of taxpayer money to fine and imprison over something that anyone can grow in a Dixie cup.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Throwing someone in jail growing it in Dixie cup and not making it for public sale, are two different issues.

I believe government can and should restrict sale,

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Just think, we can thank our friend NS for T Rump becoming president. He voted for him in the primary. He, and people like him, were instramental in T Rump getting elected. For without people like him, T Rump would have NEVER been on the ballot in the first place.

Are you celebrating too NS?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 pm

I was thinking that too, but maybe he learned his lesson by by trying throw it to the "weaker" candidate, The only problem Hillary was weaker than Trump.

Oh I how wish Cruz was president-elect now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic