Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The State of Politics

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

The State of Politics

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:11 pm

Do you think politics is becoming more of a form of entertainment...a reality show if you will? This election season is unlike anything we've ever seen. It seems like the public just eats this shit up. It's sad people don't research things instead of taking to heart what some random Facebook post says. I think the cable news networks just fan the flames. Instead of just reporting, there all these talk shows on there putting their spin on things.

audiophile

Re: The State of Politics

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:05 pm

yep - political football.

This is what made me so frustrated with the "low-information" voters.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Yes indeed. And I'm guilty. Prior to the first debate, I stopped and picked up snacks and drinks, like I was going to watch a sporting event or something. I remember thinking before the first debate "Bring on the show" like I was going to be entertained. After the debate I was no longer in a gleeful mood.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Circle Seven wrote:Yes indeed. And I'm guilty. Prior to the first debate, I stopped and picked up snacks and drinks, like I was going to watch a sporting event or something. I remember thinking before the first debate "Bring on the show" like I was going to be entertained. After the debate I was no longer in a gleeful mood.
I was enjoying the punches but I eventually had enough...

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

All the reality shows make people think that acting like a complete jerk is normal. The Real..whatever are all scripted and pander to the viewers voyeurism gene. Watch the people in the background, they don't flinch.
It's desensitized the average person to bad behavior and nothing is too outlandish. Now we pick the leader of the free world like it's picking side's on Real Adults of Washington D.C.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm 64 years old and in my presidential election memory never has "lesser of two evils" been a more apt description of what people are picking from. Doesn't matter which one your looking at it seems so many people can only say "at least he/she isn't him/her".
The biggest concern I have isn't "uninformed voters" its that political machines couldn't come up with better choices.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

craig11152 wrote:I'm 64 years old and in my presidential election memory never has "lesser of two evils" been a more apt description of what people are picking from. Doesn't matter which one your looking at it seems so many people can only say "at least he/she isn't him/her".
The biggest concern I have isn't "uninformed voters" its that political machines couldn't come up with better choices.
I'd go even further and call it a "lesser of two undeserveds". Evil sounds too hyperbolic. There have been some candidates I haven't liked in the past, but I don't recall ever thinking the individuals that had a chance to win were so abhorrent.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:31 pm

As much as I am a Bernie supporter I have to step in and point out that Clinton has been vilified by the Republicans in Congress more than she is a bad candidate.

She is the most experienced candidate we have had in 50 years.

If the email scandal and Benghazi are the worst we have to be upset about, then you should realize that these are tiny compared to the real scandals of Iran Contra, Laos, and even the start of the Iraq conflict. All of these cost us billions of dollars and killed Americans.

The email issue has cost no one anything, bad practice but no foul. Benghazi was not Clinton's fault it was a group of bad people from another country. The Republican dog and pony show produced nothing.

She's not the best candidate ever, but she the best option of any of the candidates.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 pm

"...and killed Americans". Should read, "...and killed countless Americans".

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:48 pm

screen glare wrote:"...and killed Americans". Should read, "...and killed countless Americans".
It can't be countless since we have a count...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 am

Figure of speech to indicate a large number

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 am

TC Talks wrote:As much as I am a Bernie supporter I have to step in and point out that Clinton has been vilified by the Republicans in Congress more than she is a bad candidate.

She is the most experienced candidate we have had in 50 years.

If the email scandal and Benghazi are the worst we have to be upset about, then you should realize that these are tiny compared to the real scandals of Iran Contra, Laos, and even the start of the Iraq conflict. All of these cost us billions of dollars and killed Americans.

The email issue has cost no one anything, bad practice but no foul. Benghazi was not Clinton's fault it was a group of bad people from another country. The Republican dog and pony show produced nothing.

She's not the best candidate ever, but she the best option of any of the candidates.
Her foreign policy with Iran, Iraq, Syria Libya, and Egypt was a colossal failure. I have to agree with Trump that taking out Assad is a boneheaded idea. Trump, Cruz, Kasich (and I) are on the real conservative side of this issue. Pence, Rubio, Bush, Hillary and Obama are wanting to get into another quagmire in Syria by taking out Assad.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic