Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fixed...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Fixed...

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Re: Fixed...

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:30 pm

Honestly that would be a more typical race than this circus...

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 am

NS8401 wrote:
Honestly that would be a more typical race than this circus...
True.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 am

Trump needs to resign. His attacks on the parents of a fallen soldier are unacceptable. It's McCain v2.0...

Somewhere Cruz and Kasich are laughing their you-know-what off.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:35 am

audiophile wrote:Trump needs to resign. His attacks on the parents of a fallen soldier are unacceptable. It's McCain v2.0...

Somewhere Cruz and Kasich are laughing their you-know-what off.
Trumps supporters don't care... He will be lucky to crack 30 at this rate. The guy doesn't want to win and is shocked He got here. What a cartoon character...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 pm

audiophile wrote:His attacks on the parents of a fallen soldier are unacceptable. It's McCain v2.0
What specifically did Trump do or say that was offensive? I didn't really follow the news over the weekend, and I see the media in a tizzy over this, but either he said something that I just can't find or this is much ado about nothing.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 pm

bmw wrote:
audiophile wrote:His attacks on the parents of a fallen soldier are unacceptable. It's McCain v2.0
What specifically did Trump do or say that was offensive? I didn't really follow the news over the weekend, and I see the media in a tizzy over this, but either he said something that I just can't find or this is much ado about nothing.
He implied that her husband had forbidden her from speaking for religious reasons. He said that his creating jobs in the US represented a "sacrifice" and compared it to the deceased army captains decision to sacrifice himself to save his unit. He's a disgusting and worthless turd of a human being. We are screwed if this buffoon gets in. Then he said "mark my words: Putin won't try to take Eastern Europe back"... Are you fucking kidding me?!?! He doesn't know jack shit about how ANYTHING works in world or domestic affairs. He's desperately trying to lose and saying any outrageous thing he can to shake his supporters off but they keep hanging on.

People like you support the man no matter what garbage he spews... It defies belief.

Perhaps the AP can bring you up to date:
NEW YORK (AP) - Fellow Republicans are joining the rising chorus of criticism of Donald Trump for his disparagement of the bereaved parents of U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan, a Muslim who was awarded a Bronze Star after he was killed in 2004 in Iraq.
The roll of GOP senators publicly taking Trump to task reached at least five on Monday, including John McCain of Arizona, who said in a statement that the fact that Trump won his party's nomination doesn't give him "unfettered license to defame those who are the best among us."
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania said the Khans "deserve our gratitude and honor; anything else is inappropriate."
The other three senators, all running for re-election and distancing themselves from Trump's controversial statements, are Roy Blunt of Missouri, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin and Rob Portman of Ohio. Rep. Mac Thornberry of Texas, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said he's dismayed by criticism of the parents, and both Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan have issued statements praising Khan.
Without mentioning Trump by name, President Barack Obama praised families that have lost members who were serving in the military. "No one has given more to our freedom and our security than our Gold Star families. ... They represent the very best of our country," he said Monday in an address to the Disabled American Veterans in Atlanta.
Pushing back against the criticism, Trump complained Monday that he had been "viciously attacked" by Khan's father at the Democratic National Convention and in the days that have followed.
Trump broke a political and societal taboo over the weekend when he criticized Khizr and Ghazala Khan. Khizr Khan did strongly criticism Trump during the convention and after, and his wife has joined in since then. Trump stoked further outrage by implying Ghazala Khan did not speak while standing alongside her husband at the convention because she is a Muslim woman.
Trump tweeted Monday that "Mr. Khan, who does not know me, viciously attacked me from the stage of the DNC and is now all over T.V. doing the same." He said the focus should be on "radical Islamic terrorism," not the parents.
Khizr Khan told CNN on Monday that "We want to be out of this controversy. That is not our style," even as the couple kept up a round of TV appearances. Said his wife: "My religion or my family or my culture never stopped me from saying what I want to say. I have all the rights as a wife, as a mother, as a daughter."
At last week's convention, Khizr Khan criticized Trump for proposing to freeze the entry of foreign Muslims into the U.S. and accused him of making no sacrifices for his country.
On Monday, Blunt advised Trump to "focus on jobs and national security and stop responding to every criticism whether it's from a grieving family or Hillary Clinton." Senators running for re-election - and Senate and House leaders - are concerned that the Republican nominee will damage their own campaigns.
The continuing controversy risks setting back whatever progress Trump made during his convention at winning over the independent voters who will probably be key in the fall election.
Yet he's repeatedly made inflammatory statements at little apparent political cost - and sometimes to his benefit - going back to the beginning of the campaign when he challenged the heroism of McCain, a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and branded Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. Many of his supporters have been drawn to his tendency to say the politically unthinkable. The question is whether this, finally, is a step too far.
For the second time in a week, Trump's running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, issued a statement that appeared designed to put some space between the two men. The father of a Marine, Pence said Sunday that he and Trump believe Capt. Khan is a hero and his family "should be cherished by every American."
Last week, Pence said Russia would face "serious consequences" for meddling in U.S. elections at roughly the same time Trump appeared to encourage it, telling reporters he would welcome Russia unearthing emails that Clinton deleted from the private servers she used while secretary of state.
Pence's statement came after an afternoon of debate among his aides as to whether he should find a way to dissociate himself subtly from Trump's comments, according to a person familiar with the internal campaign conversations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss them publicly.
At the Democratic convention, the Pakistan-born Khizr Khan told his son's story, questioned whether Trump had ever read the Constitution and said "you have sacrificed nothing." During the speech, Ghazala Khan stood quietly by his side.
Trump responded in an interview with ABC's "This Week," saying: "If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say."
Ghazala Khan wrote in Sunday's Washington Post that she did not speak because talking about her son's death remains difficult. "Every day, whenever I pray, I have to pray for him, and I cry," she wrote.
More from the AP about Trump and Russia:
In an interview on ABC Sunday, Trump said Russian President Vladimir Putin is "not going into Ukraine." He added "You can mark it down. You can put it down."
Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and has backed pro-Russian separatists in the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Western governments accuse Russia of sending troops and weapons to Ukraine, but Moscow denies that.
Trump tweeted Monday that Putin is not going into Ukraine "if I am president. Already in Crimea!"
In another tweet, he said that "with all of the Obama tough talk on Russia and the Ukraine, they have already taken Crimea and continue to push. That's what I said!"

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

NS8401 wrote:He implied that her husband had forbidden her from speaking for religious reasons. He said that his creating jobs in the US represented a "sacrifice" and compared it to the deceased army captains decision to sacrifice himself to save his unit.
IMPLIED or directly stated? See this is my problem. Even the AP story you quoted doesn't directly quote what Trump actually said (nor do any other stories I'm reading on this). They all directly quote McCain's and other peoples' responses, and even later Trump tweets, but I can't find a single one that actually quotes the statements made by Trump which started this whole controversy.

Before I respond further, is this the exchange in question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1uHqPkG8c

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 pm

bmw wrote:
NS8401 wrote:He implied that her husband had forbidden her from speaking for religious reasons. He said that his creating jobs in the US represented a "sacrifice" and compared it to the deceased army captains decision to sacrifice himself to save his unit.
IMPLIED or directly stated? See this is my problem. Even the AP story you quoted doesn't directly quote what Trump actually said (nor do any other stories I'm reading on this). They all directly quote McCain's and other peoples' responses, and even later Trump tweets, but I can't find a single one that actually quotes the statements made by Trump which started this whole controversy.

Before I respond further, is this the exchange in question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1uHqPkG8c
That's precisely the one... What an idiot. The "sacrifices" he's made are laughable in comparison to a guy who saves his unit by sacrificing his life. What a friggin joke this clown is.

He wasn't even specific about how any of the examples he gave were "sacrifices". He's a friggin con.

When everybody on both sides is criticizing you... Maybe, just maybe... You've fucked up..

The clown is finished... Toast is served. Come back when you can offer a realistic candidate for president.
Last edited by Deleted User 8570 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:34 pm

He's not comparing his sacrifices to that of the Khan family's. It was Kahn's father who, on the DNC stage, directly called out Trump and said he had not made any sacrifices. George Stephanopoulos asked Trump to respond, which he did.

Stephanopoulous then asked him a direct question of, what sacrifices he has made for his country. At this point, I'm sorry, but that is a got'cha question to which there is no good answer. I mean seriously, how is Trump supposed to answer that question? There is no answer that compares to the sacrifice made by the Khan family, and anything less makes it look like Trump either hasn't made sacrifices in his life, or that, as you have suggested, that he is trying to compare his sacrifices to that of Khan.

It was a stupid question that I can GUARANTEE you no person in the mainstream media would even CONSIDER asking to Hillary.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm

bmw wrote:He's not comparing his sacrifices to that of the Khan family's. It was Kahn's father who, on the DNC stage, directly called out Trump and said he had not made any sacrifices. George Stephanopoulos asked Trump to respond, which he did.

Stephanopoulous then asked him a direct question of, what sacrifices he has made for his country. At this point, I'm sorry, but that is a got'cha question to which there is no good answer. I mean seriously, how is Trump supposed to answer that question? There is no answer that compares to the sacrifice made by the Khan family, and anything less makes it look like Trump either hasn't made sacrifices in his life, or that, as you have suggested, that he is trying to compare his sacrifices to that of Khan.

It was a stupid question that I can GUARANTEE you no person in the mainstream media would even CONSIDER asking to Hillary.
Not at all... He could have said "while I certainly have not made sacrifices to the extent that Mr. Khan did in saving his entire unit, I have made my own sacrifices to build a business and share my prosperity with the many thousands of people I've employed over the years. I could have simply invested my money in the stock market 40 years ago and gotten the wealth I have now while doing nothing. I've always felt though that by doing my part to help other people realize the American Dream I can help make our country a better place. So yes George I've sacrificed a lot of my wealth for the good of a lot of other people, and while its again not equal to Mr. Khans sacrifice I certainly feel I've done just a little bit of good here, I really do."

There, you wanted a tactful statement? You got one. Have a nice day. Your favorite clown could never show that level of or frankly any humility though. That's the problem so many have. It wasn't a gotcha question... It was responding to Trump reaching to Khans speech at the DNC. This thin skinned blowhard DOES NOT GET how this works.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Asking somebody what they have sacrificed for their country is a tough question. Period. And it is even tougher when the reason it is a question at all is because the parent of a fallen soldier (ie, the ultimate sacrifice), has called you out on a national stage. And sure, it is easy to Monday-morning quarterback and say how he SHOULD have answered the question. My point is, the media hammering on the point that Trump was somehow comparing his sacrifices to those of the Khan family is dishonest reporting.

And I'll be patiently waiting for hell to freeze over before somebody asks Hillary the same question in the same context.

OH WAIT, that context does exist. The parent of one of the people killed in the Benghazi attacks took the stage at the Republican National Convention and called Hillary a liar for Hillary telling that mother directly to her face that her son is dead because of an internet video. The fair question for somebody to ask Hillary in an interview would be "did you tell that mother, as she claims, that her son is dead because of an internet video, and if so, were you lying when you said that?" Instead, what was the response? You have people like Chris Matthews saying it was INAPPROPRIATE for that mother to speak on stage. Yet, the mainstream media is treating the Khan family as heroic for having the guts to exercise their First Amendment rights in that way.

The double standard is what disgusts me more than anything.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:11 pm

bmw wrote:Asking somebody what they have sacrificed for their country is a tough question. Period. And it is even tougher when the reason it is a question at all is because the parent of a fallen soldier (ie, the ultimate sacrifice), has called you out on a national stage. And sure, it is easy to Monday-morning quarterback and say how he SHOULD have answered the question. My point is, the media hammering on the point that Trump was somehow comparing his sacrifices to those of the Khan family is dishonest reporting.

And I'll be patiently waiting for hell to freeze over before somebody asks Hillary the same question in the same context.

OH WAIT, that context does exist. The parent of one of the people killed in the Benghazi attacks took the stage at the Republican National Convention and called Hillary a liar for Hillary telling that mother directly to her face that her son is dead because of an internet video. The fair question for somebody to ask Hillary in an interview would be "did you tell that mother, as she claims, that her son is dead because of an internet video, and if so, were you lying when you said that?" Instead, what was the response? You have people like Chris Matthews saying it was INAPPROPRIATE for that mother to speak on stage. Yet, the mainstream media is treating the Khan family as heroic for having the guts to exercise their First Amendment rights in that way.

The double standard is what disgusts me more than anything.
Benghazi is a witch hunt. This was in the broader context of "look you jagoff... You want to ban Muslims entering the US? They contribute significantly here too... Banning them makes zero sense"...

Matthews is to the left what Sean Hannity is to the right... A partisan opinion hack. Don't confuse him with a newsman...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:55 pm

You can call Benghazi whatever you want, but the parallels here are striking. In each instance you had the parent of somebody killed serving their country speaking at a major party convention, specifically calling out each party's respective candidate. And each candidate responds on national television on the same weekend. Trump suggests that a Muslim mother might not be allowed to speak because of her religion, and he gets BLASTED from all corners of the media. Hillary responds to her own controversy, falling just short of calling the mother a LIAR (Hillary basically denied having told the mother that her son was dead because of an internet video, insisting that the mother must have not recalled the conversation correctly), and she largely gets a pass, despite her history of being a compulsive liar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic