Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

It's happened again... :( [Officers murdered]

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

It's happened again... :( [Officers murdered]

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:45 am

Reportedly, three police officers in the city of Baton Rouge were murdered ambush-style this morning while responding to a 911 call that appears to have been a setup.

The shooter is still at large. I've watched four media outlets over the past 30 minutes; none have provided a description of the shooter(s).

Initial reports stated that two officers were killed, but the Mayor of Baton Rouge on live TV just stated it was three officers who were murdered.

(Insignificant detail in the grand scheme of things, but CNN's coverage has been extremely poor. Very green anchor leading the coverage. They appear to have been completely unprepared to cover a story of this magnitude on a Sunday morning. Even MSNBC is running circles around them.)

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 8570

Re: It's happened again... :( [Officers murdered]

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Reportedly, three police officers in the city of Baton Rouge were murdered ambush-style this morning while responding to a 911 call that appears to have been a setup.

The shooter is still at large. I've watched four media outlets over the past 30 minutes; none have provided a description of the shooter(s).

Initial reports stated that two officers were killed, but the Mayor of Baton Rouge on live TV just stated it was three officers who were murdered.

(Insignificant detail in the grand scheme of things, but CNN's coverage has been extremely poor. Very green anchor leading the coverage. They appear to have been completely unprepared to cover a story of this magnitude on a Sunday morning. Even MSNBC is running circles around them.)
So it looks like this is the tally:
3 killed
3 injured
1 suspect dead
2 at large

Brain dead cowards do these things spurred on by all the "buzz" about what's going on that they see -- everywhere now. Terrible.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:37 pm

When is krap going to end?

There are some bad cops (and those should be punished) but not all of them are bad.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Another week, another mass shooting.

America's love affair with guns continues.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Canada is not immune either:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/world/ame ... -shooting/

France has super tough gun controls and I'm not sure what is worse - being shot or run over by a truck.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:19 pm

audiophile wrote:Canada is not immune either:

France has super tough gun controls and I'm not sure what is worse - being shot or run over by a truck.
The truck might be more instant if it counts...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:42 pm

audiophile wrote:Canada is not immune either:

This has nothing to do with gun control laws. It's about a nation where guns are woven right into the nation's social fabric and its culture. A nation where guns are viewed as a solution to problems. Where a candidate for one of the major political parties talks about a "second amendment solution" to a political problem.

The U.S. has more gun deaths per week that France has victims of terrorism in an entire year.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 pm

The entire gun lobby could dodge a bullet if they startrd lobbying for better mental health care. If it's not guns, then it's unstable operators. I can't understand why the news channels totally neglect mental health when covering these tragic incidents.

Here's an example of a problem waiting to happen:

TRAVERSE CITY — A man carried a semi-automatic rifle through the villages of Suttons Bay and Lake Leelanau because he was frustrated about his suspended driver's license, authorities said.

Leelanau County Sheriff Mike Borkovich said deputies didn't arrest the 55-year-old Leelanau County man. His behavior on Thursday prompted nearly 30 calls to 911, but wasn't illegal.

The man told Borkovich and other deputies he had a right to carry the gun.

"He never threatened to shoot anybody," Borkovich said. "He was really quite cooperative ... Was he upset about things in his personal life? Yes."

The man carried an unloaded AR-15, Borkovich said. He was first reported Thursday at 8:42 a.m. in Suttons Bay. He walked north through the village's downtown before turning left on M-204, where he walked to Lake Leelanau, Borkovich said.

911 callers said the man was in Lake Leelanau at about 11:10 a.m.

"He said he was going to work," Borkovich said.

Watch Record-Eagle.com or see Friday's paper for mo

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:26 pm

I want to know when we as a country are going to have a serious discussion about the racial component of gun violence.

According to the FBI, there were 5,723 murders in 2013, of which 47 percent were committed by blacks. Of those murders, roughly 70 percent were committed by a gun.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... r_2013.xls

According to Pew Research, 41% of whites have a gun in their home, while only 19% of blacks have a gun in their home.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... ouseholds/

My conclusions:

-Since blacks only made up about 12 percent of the population in 2013, they were nearly 4x more likely than whites to commit murders

-Since blacks are only half as likely as whites to own guns, yet they are still 4x more likely to commit murders, then that means that:
a black person with a gun is 8 times more likely than a white person with a gun to commit a murder.

But it is highly politically incorrect to point out these stats, and doing so usually deems one to be a racist.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:10 pm

bmw wrote:I want to know when we as a country are going to have a serious discussion about the racial component of gun violence.

According to the FBI, there were 5,723 murders in 2013, of which 47 percent were committed by blacks. Of those murders, roughly 70 percent were committed by a gun.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... r_2013.xls

According to Pew Research, 41% of whites have a gun in their home, while only 19% of blacks have a gun in their home.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... ouseholds/

My conclusions:

-Since blacks only made up about 12 percent of the population in 2013, they were nearly 4x more likely than whites to commit murders

-Since blacks are only half as likely as whites to own guns, yet they are still 4x more likely to commit murders, then that means that:
a black person with a gun is 8 times more likely than a white person with a gun to commit a murder.

But it is highly politically incorrect to point out these stats, and doing so usually deems one to be a racist.
There's no real surprise there... Why do you think we already hear so much about gun violence in the black community?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Yet, it lends to having different enforcement for rural and urban areas. We should be able to restrict certain things in high-risk districts defined by gun murders per capita. If the people in the sticks can manage to not kill themselves with guns they have a different set of rules to follow. There is still absolutely no reason for assault rifles in any type application. If you can argue they must be available then I can argue grenades and RPGs should be legal. Both are Ludacris in a peaceful Society.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:26 pm

TC Talks wrote: There is still absolutely no reason for assault rifles in any type application.
Please define "assault rifle".

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
This has nothing to do with gun control laws. It's about a nation where guns are woven right into the nation's social fabric and its culture. A nation where guns are viewed as a solution to problems.
Hmm.

Perhaps it's due to having to run our mutual former colonizers out of the county at great bloodshed. It took you guys until 1982 to completely sever ties....did we set a precedent for you about what would happen if talking didn't work?

Isoruku Yammamoto, the architect of Pearl Harbor, has been incorrectly attributed to be the author of "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Although no evidence exists he actually said it, that very concept with very little doubt affected the tactics of WWII as regards attacking North America with anything other than the isolated incidents in the Aleutians and Oregon/Washington. You're welcome.

The world would be a better place if guns had never existed. Our history, as noted above and throughout our generally illegal colonization of our west, was very bloody, and perhaps that is why we are so poorly woven, as you observe. I wonder why, given that, 80% of your nation chooses to live essentially adjacent to our border.

You are right, though, in your statement that it has nothing to do with gun control laws. Only an idiot believes that making ANYTHING from guns to alcohol to drugs to Tropical Smarties illegal will remove the availability. You guys (I'm actually 1/2 Canadian by blood) are just generally nicer people, as a nation, at least as regards killing one another.

20 years after Australia passed draconian gun laws, the general state of things there is not much improved, and more/less the same as neighboring New Zealand, who has no such gun control. Again, the Canadian syndrome, I guess...they both are just nicer people. Wasn't Australia the penal colony of your forebears? They are STILL nicer.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Bryce wrote:
Please define "assault rifle".
It's the ones that they show silhouette pictures of to people with no weapons training or backgrounds, and if they get scared, they are assault weapons and need to be banned. Didn't the hero of some on this board, Feinstein, try that?

Full auto weapons have been banned in private hands for more than a full generation. The media likes to distort their audiences into thinking 'assault' weapons and auto-loading handguns like the Colt 1911 are full auto weapons.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 am

Plate Cap wrote:
The world would be a better place if guns had never existed. Our history, as noted above and throughout our generally illegal colonization of our west, was very bloody, and perhaps that is why we are so poorly woven, as you observe.

Exactly. Thus, another week, another mass shooting.
I wonder why, given that, 80% of your nation chooses to live essentially adjacent to our border.
It's the climate, stupid. It's the only part of our country that's inhabitable. Why does 89% of your nation choose to live nowhere near our border?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic