Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Do all Lives Matter?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Do all Lives Matter?

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm

So what's deal? Do only black lives matter? You certainly couldn't Tweet that white lives matter. You apparently can't even tweet that All Lives Matter.

https://www.romper.com/p/jennifer-lopez ... -out-14141

It's so nice to see how much race relations have improved since Obama took office :roll:

Lester The Nightfly

Re: Do all Lives Matter?

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 pm

bmw wrote:It's so nice to see how much race relations have improved since Obama took office :roll:
Well he did make it easier for all the bigots to come out of the closet.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
bmw wrote:It's so nice to see how much race relations have improved since Obama took office :roll:
Well he did make it easier for all the bigots to come out of the closet.
It sure has. They've even organized and formed a group that marches to display their bigotry. They call themselves Black Lives Matter.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:44 pm

bmw wrote:So what's deal? Do only black lives matter? You certainly couldn't Tweet that white lives matter. You apparently can't even tweet that All Lives Matter.
As someone pointed out "black lives matter" doesn't say "only black lives matter". Why would you assume it does?
The sign says Discount Liquor...would you assume thats all they sell? No chips, candy bars, smokes, beer, wine, pop, just discount liquor is it because thats all the sign mentions.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:26 pm

craig11152 wrote:..."black lives matter" doesn't say "only black lives matter". Why would you assume it does?
Because they get all up in arms if somebody tweets that all lives matter. Per the article I linked in the original post:
On Tuesday, in a quickly published-and-deleted move on Twitter, Jennifer Lopez posted a picture using #AllLivesMatter...The tweet was quickly removed after drawing ire from fans, who expressed everything from rage to scorn to disappointment at her use of the hashtag...

the #AllLivesMatter hashtag has come to be known as a rather negative response to the #BlackLivesMatter movement — a way of saying, "Well, not only black lives matter, all lives matter!" and generally dismissing the black community's very real concerns (concerns that other communities in the United States simply don't have to face).

...it's a shame to see an #AllLivesMatter hashtag...Hopefully Lopez will issue an explanation for her hashtag choice soon...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:21 am

craig11152 wrote:
bmw wrote:So what's deal? Do only black lives matter? You certainly couldn't Tweet that white lives matter. You apparently can't even tweet that All Lives Matter.
As someone pointed out "black lives matter" doesn't say "only black lives matter". Why would you assume it does?
The sign says Discount Liquor...would you assume thats all they sell? No chips, candy bars, smokes, beer, wine, pop, just discount liquor is it because thats all the sign mentions.
Damn fine post and you make an excellent point. With visuals too !!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:23 am

....and, then there's this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17030 ... canada-asg
SAN DIEGO -- A member of a Canadian singing quartet changed a lyric in his country's national anthem and held up a sign proclaiming "All Lives Matter'' during a pregame performance at baseball's 87th All-Star Game on Tuesday.
Looks like Twitter and facebook are in an uproar over this with many saying that a baseball game is no place to make a political statement, especially during a country's national anthem. And I COMPLETELY AGREE.

But, what if one of the Tenors had been black and he had instead said Black Lives Matter? What would be response? There would have been some people upset, but I can guarantee that the uproar would have been FAR LESS.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:28 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:Damn fine post and you make an excellent point. With visuals too !!!
But would a bunch of customers get pissed off and protest inside the store if the store owner instead listed on the sign everything that the store sold?

It is the backlash against the use of the phrase "All Lives Matter" that I have a problem with.

As to the Black Lives Matter phrase/movement itself, I find it to be very racially divisive because the use of the phrase "Black Lives Matter" makes it sound like whites are, by default, of the opinion that black lives do not matter.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 am

I find myself in an interesting and somewhat unusual position.
*I am a 64 year old white male who grew up solidly "middle class"
*I have a daughter and son-in-law who are cops, patrol officers in eastern Ypsilanti Township.
*I attend a truly multicultural church. Our head pastor is black and who grew up in Washington DC inner city.

So I can fairly easily see both sides of the "issue".

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 pm

bmw wrote:...a baseball game is no place to make a political statement, especially during a country's national anthem. And I COMPLETELY AGREE.
Neither is the funeral of five slain police officers...

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Do all lives really matter to a group that chants, "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now!" during a march? This is a group that would be better labeled anarchists. A free society cannot allow its police forces or military to be attacked and cowered, for when that happens anarchy will certainly be the result.

Black Lives Matter is nothing more than a radical hate group meant to foment unrest and widen the racial divide. It was founded on false narratives and outright lies by the race hustlers that profit from tumult between the races. From Tawana Brawley and Duke Lacrosse, to Feguson, MO and Baton Rouge, the race hustlers have sold lie after lie. They should name themselves "Black Lies Matter". Makes sense, as much of the media and all of their followers are willing to buy into their lies with few if any questions asked.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Bryce wrote:Do all lives really matter to a group that chants, "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now!" during a march? This is a group that would be better labeled anarchists. A free society cannot allow its police forces or military to be attacked and cowered, for when that happens anarchy will certainly be the result.

Black Lives Matter is nothing more than a radical hate group meant to foment unrest and widen the racial divide. It was founded on false narratives and outright lies by the race hustlers that profit from tumult between the races. From Tawana Brawley and Duke Lacrosse, to Feguson, MO and Baton Rouge, the race hustlers have sold lie after lie. They should name themselves "Black Lies Matter". Makes sense, as much of the media and all of their followers are willing to buy into their lies with few if any questions asked.
Don't you know, you can't point out the facts. That makes you a racist!

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 pm

craig11152 wrote:I find myself in an interesting and somewhat unusual position.
*I am a 64 year old white male who grew up solidly "middle class"
*I have a daughter and son-in-law who are cops, patrol officers in eastern Ypsilanti Township.
*I attend a truly multicultural church. Our head pastor is black and who grew up in Washington DC inner city.

So I can fairly easily see both sides of the "issue".
To be clear, I don't deny that there are racist white cops and that in some communities, blacks are being unfairly targeted. But the Black Lives Matter movement I think is actually HURTING the cause because of its extremist nature.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm

More anti-All Lives Matter absurdity - University of Houston Student Body President:
Rohini Sethi wrote "Forget #BlackLivesMatter; more like #AllLivesMatter," in a now-deleted Facebook post after the Dallas police shootings, leading to a temporary suspension of her post, outlets said.
Sethi's punishment includes a 50-day suspension beginning August 1, mandatory attendance of a diversity workshop, mandatory attendance of three cultural events per month, a reflection letter and a public presentation at the Student Government Association meeting on September 28, KTRK reported.

If Sethi refuses or fails to meet any of the requirements, she will be kicked out of the Student Government Association entirely.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... ?tid=sm_fb

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/08/01/s ... ebook-post

And the media bias is quite apparent in the wording of the headlines:

Washington Post: "Student body vice president writes a ‘forget Black Lives Matter’ post, and a university erupts"

Fox News: "UH Student Government Sanctions VP for 'All Lives Matter' Facebook Post"

Gotta love the selective edits of the full quote from both outlets.

That aside, this is the most absurd story to date about somebody posting AllLivesMatter. Diversity workshop? Monthly cultural events? What the hell is going on in public Universities these days?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 pm

bmw wrote:More anti-All Lives Matter absurdity - University of Houston Student Body President:
Rohini Sethi wrote "Forget #BlackLivesMatter; more like #AllLivesMatter," in a now-deleted Facebook post after the Dallas police shootings, leading to a temporary suspension of her post, outlets said.
Sethi's punishment includes a 50-day suspension beginning August 1, mandatory attendance of a diversity workshop, mandatory attendance of three cultural events per month, a reflection letter and a public presentation at the Student Government Association meeting on September 28, KTRK reported.

If Sethi refuses or fails to meet any of the requirements, she will be kicked out of the Student Government Association entirely.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... ?tid=sm_fb

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/08/01/s ... ebook-post

And the media bias is quite apparent in the wording of the headlines:

Washington Post: "Student body vice president writes a ‘forget Black Lives Matter’ post, and a university erupts"

Fox News: "UH Student Government Sanctions VP for 'All Lives Matter' Facebook Post"

Gotta love the selective edits of the full quote from both outlets.

That aside, this is the most absurd story to date about somebody posting AllLivesMatter. Diversity workshop? Monthly cultural events? What the hell is going on in public Universities these days?
She could have done without the "Forget black lives matter" part... They wound up taking that as " Hey all you anxious black folks, you don't matter". She'd have done well to explain that "All" includes them too and that she meant that all the violence should stop. You can wield "All Lives Matter" as a weapon if you know what you are doing....

Since I did my senior project a couple years ago on "The effects on public perceptions of media reports on crime" (something to that effect I don't have it right in front of me) which showed that while public perceptions say crime is rising reality says this is the safest time in America since around 1960. The media for whatever reason have decided that everything is horrible when in reality there are lots of things that are way better now than even 20 years ago.

The media are fully culpable for a lot of what we see going on and the anger and division we see in this country. Things aren't nearly as bad for any of us regardless of the measure... Too bad the bastards in the media won't report on it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic