Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Do all Lives Matter?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
jry

Re: Do all Lives Matter?

Post by jry » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Don't be silly. The BLM folks are the first to get pissed when you mention to them that all lives matter.
They don't care about any lives. If they did, they'd get vocal about all of the black on black killings.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:11 pm

If anyone still thinks this is a legitimate group, after all the proof to the contrary, just read one of their six recently published "list of demands"...

https://policy.m4bl.org/reparations/

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:31 am

Interesting...
Black Lives Matter Detroit has about 50 members. Organizers say non-blacks are not allowed to join as leaders or members
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /88352570/

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:56 am

Bryce wrote:Interesting...
Black Lives Matter Detroit has about 50 members. Organizers say non-blacks are not allowed to join as leaders or members
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /88352570/
In that case it's sure a fringe even by fringe standards...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:01 am

I often wonder what Dr. King would say to the BLM organization.

I believe he would identify strongly with their fear - of the 1% of racist, murdering police officers - which has now morphed over many years into feelings of righteous rage and revenge. And also morphed into a fierce determination to force an end to seemingly endless traffic stop executions.

However I also believe Dr. King would say that he CANNOT identify with BLM tactics. He would point to his own ultimate success - forcing civil rights for African Americans through peaceful marches, peaceful demonstrations, and peaceful unity of purpose.

In my opinion what the BLM movement needs is a magnificent, charismatic leader devoted to Dr. King's wisdom...fighting fire with cool heads and lion hearts. And most especially - peace - every step along the way.

It may seem counter-intuitive to turn the other cheek while standing your ground - but it's mighty in its effect - as Dr. King proved. And of course it's the opposite of the fleeting "feel good" hours - fighting fire with fire".

Maybe another MLK will emerge soon to take the helm of the BLM movement, and guide it toward peaceful protest tactics - where victory is assured.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:42 am

screen glare wrote: seemingly endless traffic stop executions.
Endless? Tell you what, how about providing a list of just twenty of them?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:14 am

screen glare wrote:I often wonder what Dr. King would say to the BLM organization.

I believe he would identify strongly with their fear - of the 1% of racist, murdering police officers - which has now morphed over many years into feelings of righteous rage and revenge. And also morphed into a fierce determination to force an end to seemingly endless traffic stop executions.

However I also believe Dr. King would say that he CANNOT identify with BLM tactics. He would point to his own ultimate success - forcing civil rights for African Americans through peaceful marches, peaceful demonstrations, and peaceful unity of purpose.

In my opinion what the BLM movement needs is a magnificent, charismatic leader devoted to Dr. King's wisdom...fighting fire with cool heads and lion hearts. And most especially - peace - every step along the way.

It may seem counter-intuitive to turn the other cheek while standing your ground - but it's mighty in its effect - as Dr. King proved. And of course it's the opposite of the fleeting "feel good" hours - fighting fire with fire".

Maybe another MLK will emerge soon to take the helm of the BLM movement, and guide it toward peaceful protest tactics - where victory is assured.
Rather than the more exciting Malcom X style tactics?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:01 am

Over how many decades, Bryce? Surely you aren't myopic enough to focus your attention on just the last year? Or the last five years? Or last ten years? Or the most recent examples the entire world has witnessed via social media?

Catch a clue, Bryce-Lice. There's a reason black fathers and mothers have "the talk" with their pre-teen's and teenagers about what to do - and not do - when they're continually stopped by law enforcement for "driving while black".

It's the critical safety talk black parents have with their sons and daughters in order to keep them from being killed or severely injured by police - when driving, and suddenly, for no logical reason, they're pulled over - time and time again.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:41 am

screen glare wrote:Over how many decades, Bryce? Surely you aren't myopic enough to focus your attention on just the last year? Or the last five years? Or last ten years? Or the most recent examples the entire world has witnessed via social media?

Catch a clue, Bryce-Lice. There's a reason black fathers and mothers have "the talk" with their pre-teen's and teenagers about what to do - and not do - when they're continually stopped by law enforcement for "driving while black".

It's the critical safety talk black parents have with their sons and daughters in order to keep them from being killed or severely injured by police - when driving, and suddenly, for no logical reason, they're pulled over - time and time again.
You understand that you don't have to be black to have that talk right?

My dad was extremely good at getting pulled over (mostly his fault but sometimes circumstances combining not in his favor). He gave me some critical tips one day:

- Both Hands on the wheel.
- Do not speak unless spoken to.
- Do NOT talk back to the officer.
- No sudden movements.
- Do not reach for anything without politely informing the officer first.
- Yes sir and no sir only.

Many of the videos we see involve the people violating one of these rules... Usually the one about talking back and the one about keeping both hands on the wheel and not reaching.

I've been pulled over many times (gee it's well over a dozen and I'm white and 26)... Mostly I was profiled for having an old Crown Vic and driving in a nice Neighberhood at 3am. Reality was I was legitimately out there because that's where I lived. I was even followed around a few times while they read my plate and ran it and then gave up when I wasn't that interesting. I've had cops go fishing for drugs twice: once for pills and once for weed (haven't done a drug in my life and never will).

I went off the road on black ice in 2013 and messed up my drivers side headlight and couldn't afford to fix it for a year and a half, so one Fourth of July weekend on US 12 between the state line and Clinton I was stopped three times for it. The first two were MSP the third was a Clinton cop. The Clinton cop was cool and just pulled up next to me when I pulled over (he didn't even flip his lights on, I just gave up and pulled over when I saw him). He laughed and said "guess you've been pulled over tonight". The second MSP cop got me near coldwater. He was cool. The first cop to pull me over engaged in some below the belt tactics. He hit his spotlight right onto my mirrors which blinded me then came up and put his flashlight in my face and said "your pupils look awfully dialated, you aren't on any pills are you?". I violated one of my above rules (really bad idea in hindsight don't try this at home) and turned to my clothes basket (didn't feel like packing a bag) and reached in and pulled my two prescriptions out and handed them over... "This is what I'm on"... Again not too bright. I was in a lot of pain so I slurred too because I had just had my wisdom teeth out and it hurt really bad and I had numbed it up so maybe that contributed to my error there. Luckily he didn't do anything.

Another time I had a Northville cop ask if I was drunk when I was pulled over for my headlight. "No just very tired". I hadn't had a drink and didn't sound a bit drunk thanks.

My car had slightly tinted windows in the front (not remotely close to blacked out) and several times during the day I've been pulled over for it. Both times resulted in extra questions. First was on M-14 when I was headed to Eastern for school and I had a shirt and tie on for work later mind you. He asked me what I was doing driving there and looked in my back seat (look mom, trash!).

The second time I was on the way to a friends to do some outdoor work (good way to make a little extra $$) and had gotten my brother in Ann Arbor. No sooner than I got up to US 23 and went around the corner onto 14 did I get pulled over for my tint. Of course I rushed my brother out of the house (so he said anyways) and he forgot his wallet. Fantastic, no ID. He was taken out of the car and questioned at the back then left there. I had just detailed my car (couple days before so a chemical smell was present still) and he had been eating a piece of celery (Mr. Health nut) so the cop comes back up and says "when was the last time Marijuana was smoked in the vehicle?". "There's never been Marijuana smoked in this vehicle, in fact there's never been any in the vehicle at all" I said. "Well I'm getting the hint of Marijuana coming from your car" he said. So I told him he was welcome to search and he promptly declined and sent us on our way. So these days when I see a cop my first thought isn't "hello officer", it's "please don't move"...

Point here is Glare that you don't have to be black to be harassed and have been instructed about the police. It's not somehow unique to blacks at all. But if you don't handle yourself well (the rules above help) then it's not gonna go well. Hell there was a white teen up in Ingham county that was shot and killed during a traffic stop after flashing his brights at a cop. Needless traffic stop, kid thought the cop had his brights on, it was pitch black so how did he know it was a cop anyways? His fatal mistake? "I don't have to show you my ID". Kid is coming back from bible study for god sakes. But he mouthed off, the officer took him out of the car, he started struggling with the officer and the struggled on the ground and he got shot and killed. Don't be stupid and it goes a VERY long ways regardless of race. So many of these folks didn't get that memo. Nobody asks what mistakes they made though. They just focus on race. It's quite hillarious really.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:49 pm

If the whole purpose of BLM was to bring attention to discriminsation or brutality of African-Americans by the police, then why members of the group loot stores and have large disturbances in which ambulances are blocked and police are taunted and pelted with objects? In other words, exact behavior that will require the police to use force?
Because thats not their purpose. BLM is using police shootings an excuse to act on a lifetime of bottled-up anti-white, anti-authority rage.
If they really wanted to do something that would result in changes to policing, they wouldnt destroy property and put lives at risk during their demonstrations, thereby forcing police to detain them for safety reasons.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Two things, NS regarding "The Talk" mentioned in my previous post.

1. The purpose is to warn, and to teach African American sons and daughters how to avoid being EXECUTED by racist police officers over a lifetime of traffic stops endured for "driving while black".

2. Non-black parents also explain to their teens how to behave correctly during a traffic stop. However the goal is to avoid a citation or arrest. Not to avoid being executed by a racist cop.

And again I state - most police officers are not racists. Racists make up a small percentage of law enforcement officers. The proverbial "a few bad apples..." .

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 pm

screen glare wrote:Two things, NS regarding "The Talk" mentioned in my previous post.

1. The purpose is to warn, and to teach African American sons and daughters how to avoid being EXECUTED by racist police officers over a lifetime of traffic stops endured for "driving while black".

2. Non-black parents also explain to their teens how to behave correctly during a traffic stop. However the goal is to avoid a citation or arrest. Not to avoid being executed by a racist cop.

And again I state - most police officers are not racists. Racists make up a small percentage of law enforcement officers. The proverbial "a few bad apples..." .
EXECUTING is a bit overzealous there Glare... Calm down before you foam at the mouth.

You basically completely ignored everything I had to say. Nice job.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:58 am

Did not ignore "everything" you had to say , NS. Just the opposite is true. Read your post very carefully. Understood the details. However afterward I still didn't agree with your foundational premise. In fact , if anything Mr. White Driver - your examples prove my point.

So I answered you by offering two points that further clarify for you where your premise and mine depart.

Additionally if you are bothered by the description of the killings as executions then you're welcome to simply call them murders. Both are correct, NS.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:32 am

Fact is that the birth of BLM was based upon a lie. "Hands up don't shoot." Never happened.

Maybe your point about "the talk" is a good one. Evidently, Michael Brown's parents never had that talk with him, or he didn't to listen to it. That entire tragedy could have been averted by Michael Brown obeying a simple order by a law enforcement officer, to get out of the street and move back to the sidewalk.

Maybe the talk is needed not because the police are bad, but because our youth have grown up in a culture that doesn't value the concept of respect or acceptable behavior in general.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:09 am

Despite youthful (or not so youthful) citizens failing to obey a police officer's directions due to ignorance, disrespect, or willful indifference - there is still an overriding element of racism that instantly escalates pre-interaction, interaction, and post-interaction by RACIST cops with African Americans. It's a well documented phenomenon over many decades. Period.

Again I state that racist police officers are not the majority of police. Most officers are selfless, professional, and often taken for granted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic