Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sonia Sotomayor - A Racist

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Sonia Sotomayor - A Racist

Post by Bryce » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging," Sotomayor told the audience at the University of California at Berkeley that day in October 2001. "Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. . . . I wonder whether by ignoring our differences as women or men of color we do a disservice both to the law and society."
I'm no T Rump fan, but the double standard is just killing me. No one would ever think about calling Justice Sonia Sotomayor a racist. But, T-Rump is labeled as such by just about everyone for thinking the same thing.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Sonia Sotomayor - A Racist

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 am

Bryce wrote:
Our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging," Sotomayor told the audience at the University of California at Berkeley that day in October 2001. "Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. . . . I wonder whether by ignoring our differences as women or men of color we do a disservice both to the law and society."
I'm no T Rump fan, but the double standard is just killing me. No one would ever think about calling Justice Sonia Sotomayor a racist. But, T-Rump is labeled as such by just about everyone for thinking the same thing.
That's not the same... Not at all...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:37 am

Sotomayer is an activist judge, so I'm not surprised she would say things like that.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:11 am

audiophile wrote:Sotomayer is an activist judge, so I'm not surprised she would say things like that.
That she does or not is not really a relevant topic... She'll vote with the liberals every time anyways... No different than a Thomas or Scalia...

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 am

NS8401 wrote:
Bryce wrote:
While not quoted here, she did go on to say that:

"Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage."

This is exactly the same context in which Trump spoke (ie - one's heritage). Here, Sotomayor is explicitly acknowledging that her rulings will be affected by her Latina heritage (and for that matter, by her gender as well).

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:58 am

bmw wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Bryce wrote:
While not quoted here, she did go on to say that:

"Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage."

This is exactly the same context in which Trump spoke (ie - one's heritage). Here, Sotomayor is explicitly acknowledging that her rulings will be affected by her Latina heritage (and for that matter, by her gender as well).
So how can you extrapolate that her opinion is the same as Curio's? This is crazy talk guys... You are using an unrelated persons words from 15 years ago to verify facts about another person today to prove trump right or something... Join the circus... You contort very well...

Again this is irrelavent beyond saying something about Sotomayor... But she said the GOOD of her experiences so I mean that may not be all bad and realistically everyone's going to draw on experience at some level to make decisions. Especially when judging a document thats as clear as mud.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm not defending Trump's statements. Quite frankly I think it is an idiotic move to say anything about a judge who is presiding over ongoing litigation in which you are involved. It was equally idiotic to even mention the Judge's heritage. But he said what he said, and everybody is in a frenzy (including establishment republicans).

The point is, Sotomayor's statements, given her current position of power, are far more troubling than Trump's. Trump is simply suggesting that a single judge may have bias against a single Defendant (Trump). Sotomayor, however, who is now on the Supreme Court, has suggested that all judges, herself included, may be inherently biased because of their ethnicity and gender. Yet, Sotomayor largely gets a pass and Trump gets bombarded.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 pm

NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:Sotomayer is an activist judge, so I'm not surprised she would say things like that.
That she does or not is not really a relevant topic... She'll vote with the liberals every time anyways... No different than a Thomas or Scalia...
So in other words, she's a mental midget. Lovely.

I remember when her fellow mental midget Harry Reid suggested GWB should nominate her back in 2005. :rolleyes
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Matt wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
So in other words, she's a mental midget. Lovely.

I remember when her fellow mental midget Harry Reid suggested GWB should nominate her back in 2005. :rolleyes
I would say both sides have ideas worthy of mental midgets...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't know if Sotomayor is a racist or if she's accusing her colleagues of being racist, but either way, her remarks are deeply disturbing.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:06 am

Beyond disturbing. Those statements should disqualify her for a position on the Nation's highest court. Imagine another nominee, say a white male, making the same statement with several words changed:

Our gender and religious beliefs may and will make a difference in our judging," White male nominee, told the audience at the University of California at Berkeley that day in October 20. "My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my evangelist upbringing."

What do you think the chances of that nominee being confirmed?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:34 am

Bryce wrote:Beyond disturbing. Those statements should disqualify her for a position on the Nation's highest court. Imagine another nominee, say a white male, making the same statement with several words changed:

Our gender and religious beliefs may and will make a difference in our judging," White male nominee, told the audience at the University of California at Berkeley that day in October 20. "My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my evangelist upbringing."

That depends on the political climate at the time...

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 am

Bryce wrote:Beyond disturbing. Those statements should disqualify her for a position on the Nation's highest court. Imagine another nominee, say a white male, making the same statement with several words changed:

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. You could have emphasized the candidates whiteness rather than changing it to religious beliefs and it would have been a more fair comparison to what the mental midget said.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:58 pm

They released the names of those that were killed in the Orlando Night Club. There was a Sotomayor on the list. Is this a common name, if FL? Maybe he was a relative?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 pm

jry wrote:They released the names of those that were killed in the Orlando Night Club. There was a Sotomayor on the list. Is this a common name, if FL? Maybe he was a relative?
Florida is heavily Latino so probably not uncommon...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic