Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I miss Governor Engler

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I miss Governor Engler

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:29 pm

He's 100% correct on the topic of Detroit schools.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /85319898/

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 8570

Re: I miss Governor Engler

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:He's 100% correct on the topic of Detroit schools.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /85319898/
Engler was a really weird guy and rather poor governor...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:22 am

John Engler is largely responsible for the deterioration of our public schools, and why our welfare system is too expensive for the service it provides. He encumbered both state departments with poisonous policy and self destructive statutes. I suspect that you can direct much of the the state's disfunction to his term in office.

He also owns a private online education company with Dick DeVos. He would like to dismantle public education.

http://stateofopportunity.michiganradio ... have-today

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 am

The Engler win was a surprise to almost everyone, and he was better than his successors, Granholm and Snyder.

Engler was 1000% better than his predecessor, gimme Jimmy!

He returned the rights to parents to decide on a child's education in 1993, when he was governor. His work on Charter schools and school funding reform is one of his best accomplishments despite TCT's statement. http://www.thecenterforcharters.org/mod ... pmenu_id=3

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 am

And this historic struggle is partly why Detroit Schools still stink:

https://www.mackinac.org/5811

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bixpchiphead

Post by bixpchiphead » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:17 am

I miss Governor Milliken!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have gone through Hell.

I Wish You Well...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:35 am

Rino!

Milliken supported taxpayer-funded abortions and vetoed the effort to stop it multiple times. He was a big government, big spender too.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:14 am

RINO because he supports women's reproductive rights? I think the complete significant failure of all the Pro Life Republican candidates demonstrates this is a niche issue and the Christian right isn't the political force they think they are. They also lost their activist SCOTUS member. Maybe God is sending a message about how to behave.

Milliken found ways to bridge issues. It's the best example of leadership this state has seen in 100 years.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:04 am

My statement above had nothing do with so-called "reproductive rights" - but only the taxpayer funding of elective abortions. :rolleyes

If it wasn't for Tisch and Headlee knocking some sense into into Milliken with their taxpayer revolt, he would been the worst governor ever.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

audiophile wrote:The Engler win was a surprise to almost everyone, and he was better than his successors, Granholm and Snyder.

Engler was 1000% better than his predecessor, gimme Jimmy!

He returned the rights to parents to decide on a child's education in 1993, when he was governor. His work on Charter schools and school funding reform is one of his best accomplishments despite TCT's statement. http://www.thecenterforcharters.org/mod ... pmenu_id=3
Charter schools suffer from a lack of oversight and unqualified teachers while underperforming districts still depend on a student count based funding model that is cut off at the knees because the students leave and the districts suffer. This is good how?

The whole charter schools thing was a bid to bust unions and make a buck, not some bs about an alternative to public schools...

Will you guys ever learn that the good stuff you remember is powered by everything you rail against and try to dismantle? The system was fine until they started screwing with it and trying to privatize everything. That goes to everything... It was governmental for a reason....

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 am

Why is there a waiting list a mile long on most of them? We tried to get in the one by us, way in advance, and we didn't make it.

Don't you drive a bus for public school?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:16 pm

audiophile wrote:Why is there a waiting list a mile long on most of them? We tried to get in the one by us, way in advance, and we didn't make it.

Don't you drive a bus for public school?
Yes I do... But for a private contractor... Not all bad but certainly not nearly what it was when the district had it... It's been gutted essentially... It's not run any better as a result or anything...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic