Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cruz Campaign is Done

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Cruz Campaign is Done

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Oh silly rabbit, GOP doesn't have superdelegates like the Dem's have...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 pm

TC Talks wrote:When you are trying to win on the convention floor, being liked matters.
Actually given the GOP liberal rules about candidates offering gifts, trips and all manner of swag to delegates, being liked runs a far second to being wealthy enough to fill a Boeing jetliner with folks able to give you the nomination for a golf outing at your own course in Scotland.

Just sayin' :wink:

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:09 pm

Among Canadian political parties, contested conventions are the norm. I've never known one to go otherwise. It usually takes several rounds of balloting to determine a winner. The candidate with the largest plurality on the first ballot doesn't always end up the winner.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 01, 2016 9:53 pm

I think Cruz suffers from Trump Derangement Syndrome. Anybody see any of his Meet the Press interview today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj7WFAg_hJQ

Start at about the 17:30 mark.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon May 02, 2016 12:10 am

MW wrote:
I also don't think the national media has been that bad describing the delegate process lately. They have to talk about two parties with different types of contests in every state. I do think they were unprepared at the start but, they've been getting better at it.
You try to describe each state's process in less the a minute and a half and make it sound like you're not favoring one candidate. Its a tight rope.
"Lately" is the operative word; they were oversimplifying the process in their reports for many, many weeks and then acted shocked when it turned out their methodology for calculating delegates was wrong.

A minute and a half??? There are cable news channels spending HOURS on this stuff every single day with a slew of people devoted to covering the races. They *still* got it wrong!!!
The minute and a half they're doing with somebody standing in front of a large monitor explaining, "how the delegate award process works" for each state contest has gotten better lately. No network is going to spend more then that in a one hour period. Its too academic and it will have the viewers' eyes glossing over.

The "HOURS" you're talking about are the untold hours of nameless pundits sitting on panels drooling on themselves with three or four other clones saying the same thing... what's obvious. They might as well be giving the current weather conditions. The only one I'd exclude from this is George Will.

The rest of those "HOURS" have been filled by some of the worst campaign reporters I've ever seen in an election. I cringe anytime I see a network go to a live shot with either a reporter following a campaign or just doing MOS. Its the most useless "reporting" I've seen outside of TMZ.

jry

Post by jry » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 am

Thankfully, Heidi solved that nasty Citizenship thing for us by admitting that Teddy is an Immigrant.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm

TC Talks wrote:Maybe it's time to at least admit that Ted is a most hated man in politics.
Joe Biden made a funny joke about this point back in March:
Joe Biden wrote:Look, I told Barack if you really, really want to remake the Supreme Court, nominate Cruz...Before you know it, you’ll have eight vacancies.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2016 10:44 pm

bmw wrote:
Joe Biden wrote:Look, I told Barack if you really, really want to remake the Supreme Court, nominate Cruz...Before you know it, you’ll have eight vacancies.
That is a pretty funny line.

One must wonder if Ted is hated because of his personality, which I'm told is quite good and he's a fun guy, or because of his unwillingness to compromise his integrity in a town in which integrity is a foreign concept.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2016 2:54 am

Maybe he's just an asshole. Occam's razor and all...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue May 03, 2016 8:26 am

Bryce wrote:
bmw wrote:
That is a pretty funny line.

One must wonder if Ted is hated because of his personality, which I'm told is quite good and he's a fun guy, or because of his unwillingness to compromise his integrity in a town in which integrity is a foreign concept.
Look at Boehner and McConnell. They both did nothing but kick the can down the road and pass it to our grandchildren. And Obama was even worse...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:Maybe he's just an asshole. Occam's razor and all...
The problem is that assholedom is somewhat subjective.

Take the following video from a debate on the Senate floor. I would imagine that both Harry Reid and Dianne Feinstein would classify Ted as an asshole. But, the parents of Kate Steinle would consider him a hero.

To me, this video gives a perfect example of why Ted is hated by many. It's worth the time to watch if you like heated debate. It also shows what a complete idiot Dianne Feinstein is.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am

Bryce wrote:
Lester The Nightfly wrote:Maybe he's just an asshole. Occam's razor and all...
The problem is that assholedom is somewhat subjective.

Take the following video from a debate on the Senate floor. I would imagine that both Harry Reid and Dianne Feinstein would classify Ted as an asshole. But, the parents of Kate Steinle would consider him a hero.

To me, this video gives a perfect example of why Ted is hated by many. It's worth the time to watch if you like heated debate. It also shows what a complete idiot Dianne Feinstein is.

The Steinle thing was an isolated incident... Conservative media blew it out of proportion to further its agenda... Yawn.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 03, 2016 11:51 am

The biggest problem I have with Cruz is that he's a hypocrite. He called for Kasich to get out of the race because he couldn't reach 1237, and now that Cruz can't get their either, he's not taking his own advice. When called out yesterday by a Trump supporter on this point, he didn't really have a response.

His poll numbers vs. Hillary are tanking, and recent polls show Trump to be stronger against Hillary than Trump. What is Cruz's end goal? Does he actually believe that there is any chance whatsoever of all of the following happening? :

-Trump not reaching 1237
-Cruz winning a contested convention
-Cruz beating Hillary in the general

He's delusional if he thinks there's even a slight chance of all that happening. Even if the first 2 of those items were to happen (which they won't), he would be slaughtered in a general election. Moderates won't vote for him and Trump supporters will stay home in LARGE numbers. The republican party would be left in absolute shambles.

Republican voters have spoken. They don't want Kasich. They don't want Cruz. Both Kasich and Cruz are in it for their own self-gratification and not the good of the party or the country.

If Trump wins today in Indiana (which I think he will) - then it is time for Cruz and Kasich to immediately drop out and announce their support for Trump.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:17 pm

bmw wrote:The biggest problem I have with Cruz is that he's a hypocrite. He called for Kasich to get out of the race because he couldn't reach 1237, and now that Cruz can't get their either, he's not taking his own advice. When called out yesterday by a Trump supporter on this point, he didn't really have a response.

His poll numbers vs. Hillary are tanking, and recent polls show Trump to be stronger against Hillary than Trump. What is Cruz's end goal? Does he actually believe that there is any chance whatsoever of all of the following happening? :

-Trump not reaching 1237
-Cruz winning a contested convention
-Cruz beating Hillary in the general

He's delusional if he thinks there's even a slight chance of all that happening. Even if the first 2 of those items were to happen (which they won't), he would be slaughtered in a general election. Moderates won't vote for him and Trump supporters will stay home in LARGE numbers. The republican party would be left in absolute shambles.

Republican voters have spoken. They don't want Kasich. They don't want Cruz. Both Kasich and Cruz are in it for their own self-gratification and not the good of the party or the country.

If Trump wins today in Indiana (which I think he will) - then it is time for Cruz and Kasich to immediately drop out and announce their support for Trump.
At which point the Republican Party would be in shambles... They have no "out" at this point. Clinton 45 is upon us...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 pm

I have to agree with NS. The GOP is done with Trump as a nominee.

Cruz still has chance, if contested, albeit second or third vote. Kasich has less delegates than Rubio, and Kasich has not met the rule #40 threshold so I don't think there is hypocrisy by continuing. Kasich no more chance than Paul Ryan or Mitt Romney.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic