All accepted registrations through December 6 at 6:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Gun Control In France

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Spellcheck5000

Re: Gun Control In France

Post by Spellcheck5000 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Oh jesus, another armchair tough guy with a weeping erection that wants to explain how he would have handled these terrorists......

In order to honestly represent reality, every scenario Colonel Rambo concocts must start with him filling his pants entirely full of soft-serve shit. Because that's what he (and anyone else, for that matter) would have done and he knows it.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Very amusing. I never made any stipulations of the sort. I was simply pointing out, with some glaring examples, that if you're waiting for the police, you could be waiting a long time. "One Bleeding to Death" all the while, the cops are afraid to go in, for fear they'll be outgunned by a couple of high school loser rejects. Well done. France was not much better. Two hours to get inside that club.

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:31 pm

November 07, 2015 1:01 AM
Something strange in gun-use statistics

Nothing must get in the way of Americans being able to defend themselves. we’re told, even if that means putting even more guns in even more hands. Especially if that means putting more guns in more hands.

Those who believe looser gun laws will prevent everything from gas station robberies to mass shootings are fond of quoting a statistic that seems to show a big up-side to our mania for easier access to firearms: Law-abiding citizens use their guns to protect themselves and prevent crimes 2.5 million times a year.

Pretty impressive. Only it isn’t true.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, there were 29,618,300 instances of attempted or completed violent crime during the 2007-11. Using the often-quoted 2.5 million gun defense incidents per year, that would mean there were 12.5 million instances during that five-year period.

But the bureau’s National Crime Victimization Survey showed that of those who were attacked, just 235,700 of those victims – or 0.8 percent – displayed or discharged a firearm to defend themselves.

Even if they aren’t successfully used often, don’t more guns in more hands mean we’re at least a little bit safer?

Perhaps not. Consider another statistic. The Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit group that advocates regulating guns as a consumer product, cites FBI Uniform Crime Reporting statistics on justifiable homicides – killings done to prevent a felonious assault.

“In 2012,” the center reported, “for every justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 32 criminal homicides.

“And this ratio, of course, does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives ended in gun suicides or unintentional shootings that year.”

The gun lobby says we need more guns because they’re vital for self-defense.

But in fact, with more guns per person than any other nation on earth, what’s most amazing is how seldom guns are actually used by Americans to protect themselves.
http://www.journalgazette.net/opinion/c ... cs-9564523

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:37 pm

This should put to rest the debate that immigrants are the threat...

Top 5 massacres committed in the US: White Male and Christian.

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/the-top- ... t-muslims/

© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:Very amusing. I never made any stipulations of the sort. I was simply pointing out, with some glaring examples, that if you're waiting for the police, you could be waiting a long time. "One Bleeding to Death" all the while, the cops are afraid to go in, for fear they'll be outgunned by a couple of high school loser rejects. Well done. France was not much better. Two hours to get inside that club.
A couple of High School loser rejects with guns who aren't afraid to fire at will without warning. This isn't a video game and nobody wants to get shot rushing in where they'd be waiting.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 am

TC T that link is a joke. McVeigh went to Catholic Church with his dad, but was a self proclaimed atheist, and did not believe in hell.

McVeigh wrote a letter to the Buffalo News stating he was agnostic.

Also he also stated "science is my religion.” He told the authors of American Terrorist that he “did not believe in Hell.”

Mcveigh's motivation was not religion but the rules of engagement from the military, from which he was honorably discharged. He viewed the tank attacks and resulting fire of Waco compound as terrorist attack by the government on private citizens (including innocent woman and children).

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 am

audiophile wrote:TC T that link is a joke. McVeigh went to Catholic Church with his dad, but was a self proclaimed atheist, and did not believe in hell.

McVeigh wrote a letter to the Buffalo News stating he was agnostic.

Also he also stated "science is my religion.” He told the authors of American Terrorist that he “did not believe in Hell.”

Mcveigh's motivation was not religion but the rules of engagement from the military, from which he was honorably discharged. He viewed the tank attacks and resulting fire of Waco compound as terrorist attack by the government on private citizens (including innocent woman and children).
The generally accepted reason is that he was mad at the government and was a Christian...

Try this one:
http://www.ethicsdaily.com/an-accurate- ... -cms-15532

He said he distanced himself from Catholicism... Not the entire religion...

In the end religion had little to do with his act of terrorism. Waco Texas was his motivation. He was pissed off at the Feds for it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 am

His actions and statements do not support that postulate.

He never stated he was a Christian at any point in those interviews. Statements are in complete contradiction.

Besides, a true Christian would be incapable of those intentional actions.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:35 pm

audiophile wrote:
Exactly. Just like a true Muslim would be incapable of terrorist actions.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Motown322 wrote:
audiophile wrote:
Exactly. Just like a true Muslim would be incapable of terrorist actions.
Excellent point Motown, thanks for mentioning that.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:32 pm

audiophile wrote:His actions and statements do not support that postulate.

He never stated he was a Christian at any point in those interviews. Statements are in complete contradiction.

A true Christian is absolutely capable of that... Anybody is...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:03 pm

CINO maybe. There is no place Jesus suggests or condones violence. Christian is shorthand for Christ-Follower. You can't follow Christ and be setting off bombs intending to inflict damage on someone else.

There is no beatitudes in Koran. In fact it says do not be friends with Christians as they friends of the Jews. The Koran was written by a warrior and there is about 109 violent references.

Muslims believe Mohammad was a descendant of Ishmael. The Ishmael was believed to be a wild donkey of a man that couldn't along with anyone. Muslim embrace this belief.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:02 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:Very amusing. I never made any stipulations of the sort. I was simply pointing out, with some glaring examples, that if you're waiting for the police, you could be waiting a long time. "One Bleeding to Death" all the while, the cops are afraid to go in, for fear they'll be outgunned by a couple of high school loser rejects. Well done. France was not much better. Two hours to get inside that club.
A couple of High School loser rejects with guns who aren't afraid to fire at will without warning. This isn't a video game and nobody wants to get shot rushing in where they'd be waiting.
You are only proving my point, Nancy8401. If poilce and SWAT are too afraid to go in, then why bother? Just send EMS and the Coroner around when it's all over. I guess that's why businesses in Ferguson, MO were allowed to burn to the ground....it was either to dangerous, or too politically incorrect to go in, and respond.

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:12 pm

They shouldn't be afraid to go in, otherwise sign up for a desk job.

2 hrs is crazy.

Spellcheck5000

Post by Spellcheck5000 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
You are only proving my point, Nancy8401. If poilce and SWAT are too afraid to go in, then why bother? Just send EMS and the Coroner around when it's all over. I guess that's why businesses in Ferguson, MO were allowed to burn to the ground....it was either to dangerous, or too politically incorrect to go in, and respond.
Hey internet soldier, keep telling us what you would have done in that situation. I'm sure your bloodless penis needs all the help it can get.

Let's try to figure out exactly what point you're trying to make here.
Colonel Rambo the Internet Warrior wrote:"Reports have said it took TWO HOURS for the cops to get inside the concert venue where most of the carnage occurred. And yet, this is who you girls expect will be there to save you? Good luck with that. A very similar scenario unfolded at Columbine, if anyone has forgotten. Remember the kids holding up the sign that said "ONE BLEEDING TO DEATH" ? Sorry if that's a little too real for you message board fancy boys."
If I'm reading you correctly, you seem to indicate the police can't offer immediate help in this situation. Here we are in agreement. Cops are clean-up crews, not immediate-responders.
If I am to extrapolate your musings further, you seem to suggest that since one cannot rely on the police to save them, they must rely on their own firearms to protect them. Again, no argment from me here either.
If'n I extrapolate your nonsense out even FUUURTHER, you seem to suggest this applies even in situations where one is drastically outgunned & outequipped by an enemy that actually WANTS to die in the commission of their crime. You seem to think those poor souls trapped in the theater could have been saved if they carried their own guns. Do I have you pegged thus far?

If my assertions are right, you are EXACTLY the fucking slap-ass armchair rambo I'm talking about. You think you coulda slung some lead at those ay-rabs, sent them to their 72 virgins in slo-mo as you delivered a quippy catchphrase about yippe ki yi yay or eatin' lead for breakfast or somethin', then put your arms around two bikini-clad hostages while you did the Captain Morgan pose on the ass of a terrorist corpse (go ahead and use that visual tonight if you're having trouble, um, "performing" later)

First off, carrying a gun in a crowded concert venue is fucking moronic. One of the first things you learn in any concealed carry class is not to get yourself into environments unsecure for your carry weapon. You're belly-to-back in a hot, sweaty, drunk/stoned moving crowd listening to loud rock music. There is no way for that weapon to be fully secure in such an environment. That firearm is about as un-secure as it can get. PLUS, it's illegal to carry in most every concert venue (especially if they serve booze) and for damn good reason.
Secondly, the terrorists operated in such a way to maximize confusion & loss of life. They entered and started blasting with automatic weapons almost immediately. As one of the observers put it, they mowed down people like they were a field of wheat. Your lil' 8-shot 9mm carry weapon ain't doing SHIT amidst all that confusion
Thirdly, they coordinated their attack to neutralize the effectiveness of the response. Those that didn't die became hostages/human shields and were positioned between the terrorists and the theater's ingress points.
Fourthly, all the terrorists were wearing bomb vests. Even if they ate a couple shots from some internet rambo, they're still detonating a vest full of explosives & wiping out a ton more people.

Again, this is NOT the hill to die on for gun control laws. There is nothing about this specific set of circumstances a reasonable person (i.e. not you) could conclude would have been directly improved through looser carry laws in France. Any discussion of the sort does a massive disservice to the cause.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic