All accepted registrations through November 23 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Michigan Road Funding

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Michigan Road Funding

Post by TheForce » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:19 pm

I think Indiana is doing something right and Michigan should be taking notes...

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Penc ... 96302.html



Matt
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Wrong.

Reserves are not meant to fund ongoing infrastructure costs. Reserves are really meant to be a safeguard against unexpected economic or other unforeseen events.



Deleted User 8570

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Matt wrote:Wrong.

Reserves are not meant to fund ongoing infrastructure costs. Reserves are really meant to be a safeguard against unexpected economic or other unforeseen events.
We have a large rainy day fund collecting dust... I see a rainy day coming UP. Let's use it.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by TheForce » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Well I don't see any other ideas getting passed. Everything needs to be on the table at this point. I think Michigan residents would go along with something like this simply because it doesn't involve a tax increase. Isn't that what everyone has been screaming for? Quite frankly I am disgusted with our dysfunctional legislature on this matter.



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 pm

TheForce wrote:Well I don't see any other ideas getting passed. Everything needs to be on the table at this point. I think Michigan residents would go along with something like this simply because it doesn't involve a tax increase. Isn't that what everyone has been screaming for? Quite frankly I am disgusted with our dysfunctional legislature on this matter.
Just to confirm your point about the lack of progress in addressing the issue:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /73870236/

Political bickering aside, what remains a fact is another road repair season has come and gone and the time has been squandered.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by TheForce » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 pm

Either way you look at it, we're all up shit creek. All these delays will only make the necessary repairs/rebuilding even more costly.



jry
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 am
Location: somewhere in the former boonies

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by jry » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't get this. These guys are chomping at the bit to raise taxes. They just got their internet sales tax through and by all counts, it'll bring in an extra 500 million dollars a year. Now, take this and add to it the Lucido Plan and you'll be flush with cash.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5280
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 pm

It's the BUDGETING process in Michigan that is killing us.

Not enough tax dollars are flowing to the general fund and too many tax dollars are flowing into restricted funds.
They just got their internet sales tax through and by all counts, it'll bring in an extra 500 million dollars a year.
Yeah, but business taxes have been reduced by a total of $1.8 billion, and redemption of business tax credits issued primarily (but not entirely) during the Granholm years represent an additional burden on state coffers.

The fact the GOP house wants to tie additional road funding to a marginal income tax rate reduction is moronic. Michigan's personal income tax rate is already one of the lowest in nation.

I say pass a gas tax increase, build in some sort of sunset provision (say 4 years or 5 years), and use the next few years to fundamentally restructure the budgeting/funding process in Lansing, including pursuit of amendments to the state's constitution, if appropriate.

BTW, I fully support using a portion of the obscenely large fund balance in the catastrophic insurance fund to fund road repairs. As I've stated before, ideally there needs to be a one-time, large slug of cash to bring roads "up to par" to compensate for many years' worth of deferred maintenance.


Fire Blashill!!!!

Deleted User 8570

Re: Michigan Road Funding

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:It's the BUDGETING process in Michigan that is killing us.

Not enough tax dollars are flowing to the general fund and too many tax dollars are flowing into restricted funds.
They just got their internet sales tax through and by all counts, it'll bring in an extra 500 million dollars a year.
Yeah, but business taxes have been reduced by a total of $1.8 billion, and redemption of business tax credits issued primarily (but not entirely) during the Granholm years represent an additional burden on state coffers.

The fact the GOP house wants to tie additional road funding to a marginal income tax rate reduction is moronic. Michigan's personal income tax rate is already one of the lowest in nation.

I say pass a gas tax increase, build in some sort of sunset provision (say 4 years or 5 years), and use the next few years to fundamentally restructure the budgeting/funding process in Lansing, including pursuit of amendments to the state's constitution, if appropriate.

BTW, I fully support using a portion of the obscenely large fund balance in the catastrophic insurance fund to fund road repairs. As I've stated before, ideally there needs to be a one-time, large slug of cash to bring roads "up to par" to compensate for many years' worth of deferred maintenance.
"Cut the taxes on business and citizens and just watch the economy take off!!!". Guess not and now it's hurting the state... Don't these people realize we got all the stuff that's falling apart by having what they keep taking away?!?...



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic