All accepted registrations through December 6 at 6:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Democrat Debate

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Democrat Debate

Post by audiophile » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:51 pm

You can say whatever want, but when you need a small loan to fill the tank on your F-150, so that you can get to work, something had to give!

That $20 weekly fill-up became $80, or increase of $240 a month. In a dual-income family, that $480 per month had to come from somewhere!

Restaurants saw a reduction in business as increasing gas prices drained their wallets of their former customers.

Tourism dried up overnight.

Businesses saw H*** increases in transportation costs.

That was the pin that popped the balloon.

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/ ... risis-2007
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm

audiophile wrote:You can say whatever want, but when you need a small loan to fill the tank on your F-150, so that you can get to work, something had to give!

That $20 weekly fill-up became $80, or increase of $240 a month. In a dual-income family, that $480 per month had to come from somewhere!

Restaurants saw a reduction in business as increasing gas prices drained their wallets of their former customers.

Tourism dried up overnight.

Businesses say H*** increases in transportation costs.

That was the pin that popped the balloon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedennin ... 1/22/5086/
Where did it mention gas? All I see is an expansion of what I wrote earlier?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Bernie Sanders made Hillary Clinton look like a Republican. The fact that he is polling as well as he is is scary.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Here is correct link:
http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/ ... risis-2007

Let's not forget that all forms of energy increased - heating oil, natural gas, and propane increased dramatically.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Any results besides Drudge?

© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm

I wonder how many of their uneducated viewers think they are all running against the current P0TU5.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 pm

TC Talks wrote:Any results besides Drudge?
Here you go TC Buddy. The unvarnished truth. Quickly moving down the Soviet slide. Never guessed it woud happen this soon.

http://mediaequalizer.com/brian-maloney ... r-comments

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 pm

TC Shuts Up wrote:
TC Talks wrote:Any results besides Drudge?
Here you go TC Buddy. The unvarnished truth. Quickly moving down the Soviet slide. Never guessed it woud happen this soon.

http://mediaequalizer.com/brian-maloney ... r-comments
Yeah because the Soviets and the USA are so similar... :roll:

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:29 am

More links between default and high energy prices:
http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2012/03/07/on ... al-crisis/

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 am

Hard hitting Commentary on the Democrat Debates.

http://townhall.com/columnists/derekhun ... sletterad=

Many of you who post here do not really remember John F. Kennedy. What you think you remember has been rewritten to a large extent. But there are two things that no one, not even the so called VRWC, can deny.

1. JOHN F. KENNEDY LOVED AMERICA.

2. JOHN F. KENNEDY CUT TAXES.

John F. Kennedy would be to the Right of all the Democrat candidates and most of the Republican candidates if he were running today.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:10 am

audiophile wrote:More links between default and high energy prices:
I'm laughing at some of the commenters on that link... If there was a problem with gas prices killing people outside of California it didn't happen till very early 08 at the earliest. I'm thinking more like March or April that year when things got north of $3 for the first time... By summer they were trying for $4 and by early fall they were there and that lasted maybe 2 months and the bubble burst. Despite all the whining about it we got relief in early and mid 09 (down as low as $1.84 around here that I personally saw which means it was even lower in many other countries places not named Michigan) before shooting up. Now global demand is down and we are awash in the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a flat $2 by Christmas. Oil is what $45 now? It was $150 right before the crash (that run up took a year or two to go from the $70's to the $150 mark). Frankly at $45 it should be lower than $2.30-$2.40.)

When I see talk of peak oil I laugh (one of the commenters went off on the subject after the article.) The problem is that we have found new sources of oil AND the US is now the worlds oil King... We produce more oil than anywhere. When I was a little kid (maybe 20 years ago) my school library was junking a bunch of books that were simply outdated and I picked up a book written oh about 1970 or so that predicted "by 1975 the world will run out of oil entirely". :lol

I don't doubt gas prices contributed something and I don't doubt they could have been a major straw that broke the camels back but the camels back already had thousands of stress fractures to start...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 am

Let's take a look at which Presidents spend the most..

http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/12/r ... ent-legacy

© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:35 am

NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:More links between default and high energy prices:
I'm laughing at some of the commenters on that link... If there was a problem with gas prices killing people outside of California it didn't happen till very early 08 at the earliest. I'm thinking more like March or April that year when things got north of $3 for the first time... By summer they were trying for $4 and by early fall they were there and that lasted maybe 2 months and the bubble burst. Despite all the whining about it we got relief in early and mid 09 (down as low as $1.84 around here that I personally saw which means it was even lower in many other countries places not named Michigan) before shooting up. Now global demand is down and we are awash in the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a flat $2 by Christmas. Oil is what $45 now? It was $150 right before the crash (that run up took a year or two to go from the $70's to the $150 mark). Frankly at $45 it should be lower than $2.30-$2.40.)

When I see talk of peak oil I laugh (one of the commenters went off on the subject after the article.) The problem is that we have found new sources of oil AND the US is now the worlds oil King... We produce more oil than anywhere. When I was a little kid (maybe 20 years ago) my school library was junking a bunch of books that were simply outdated and I picked up a book written oh about 1970 or so that predicted "by 1975 the world will run out of oil entirely". :lol

I don't doubt gas prices contributed something and I don't doubt they could have been a major straw that broke the camels back but the camels back already had thousands of stress fractures to start...
I'll do what the rest of you do and quote your post, even when it unnecessarily gums up the continuity of the thread.

The "camel" to which you refer who had its back broken was the American Automobile Industry. Despite what the Automobile haters in the think tanks of Ann Arbor think, the US Economy was and is very dependent on the Auto Industry. Certainly that is what ruined the local economy of Flint, and to a lesser degree, the rest of the State of Michigan. The false "Peak Oil" theory was a big part of the run up in oil prices. And of course, the commuters in many other parts of the country were no longer financially able to drive to work. So we had the Housing Crash. Pretty plain and simple. Some would advance Occam's Razor, as they have in other untenable explanations that really don't explain anything. Many of us learned in Fifth Grade The Law of Supply and Demand, and that Trumps Occam's Razor. But the Bernie and HRC types would love to cram us on to standing only public transportation, where we would be assaulted, robbed, groped, stabbed, and shot (by guns belonging to people without CCW/CPLs, and sold illegally or stolen). So if the Auto Industry failed, these people rejoice, even though their union supporters are harmed greatly by these policies. A lot of people just end up getting cut by Occam's Razor.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:36 am

How old were you at the time happened, and were you working daily a driving a significant distance between 2000 and 2008?

The same car I'm driving today, I remember filling up in Quakertown, PA for 77 cents per gallon. Over the lifespan of vehicle many vehicle still on the road today saw sub $1 gas prices.

My spouse drove 180-200 miles per day, so the cost was less $4 per day to drive that distance at 47 MPG. By 2008 that was $16 per day or an increase of $240 per month.

I felt blessed that the midsize car got 47 MPG! I can't imagine driving a petrol-powered pig.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 am

Government housing bubble explained:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/13/housin ... pinto.html

It really took three things for the perfect storm:

High Housing Prices, that started to fall (making resale impossible).
High Energy Prices
Stagnate Wages

Many of the these same things happened from 1979-1983.

PS Lets not forget Bill Clinton signed revoking of Glass-Steagall Act.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic