All accepted registrations through December 6 at 6:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Snyder admin. willfully poisons Flint's water customers

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Snyder admin. willfully poisons Flint's water customers

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:21 am

JackAttack FM wrote:After looking at the conditions in some of the Detroit schools in news stories about the teacher sickouts... it seems almost safe to say the gov. doesn't put much attention toward ineligible voters. As in those under the age of 18.
Don't you think it a tad unfair to lay problems that were years in the making solely at the feet of Snyder?
Lansing — The debt payments of Detroit Public Schools — already the highest of any school district in Michigan — are set to balloon in February to an amount nearly equal to the school district’s payroll and benefits as the city school system teeters on the edge of insolvency.
The Detroit district’s payments on old debts — some dating back a decade or longer — amount to $3,019 of the $7,296 per student grant the district will receive from the state this school year, a Detroit News analysis of public records shows.

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Final word.... Had the residents of Flint paid their water bills, the city would have never needed to cut ties with Detroit. Had someone treated the old system with Phosphates ($100.00 per day), this wouldn't have happened. None of this is Snyders fault.
It all goes back to "Proximate Cause". But for the years of sloppy and poor government, this wouldn't have happened.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm

He's had more then four years to do something about all of it. He did right with the Detroit EM and bankruptcy and there's been time to continue the rest of the work.
DWSD had tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid bills with Flint on the system and, as far as we know so far, there hasn't been mass lead leaching from DWSD. Thus the switch back to Detroit for Flint.
Whomever was in the governor's office its their appointed EM for Flint, its their DEQ. The "buck" stops where?

I'll agree about years of, "sloppy poor government" all the way up to the top. Jenny Granholm's administration had 8 years to deal with the cities' decline. How many EM did she appoint during her term?
Bryce wrote: Don't you think it a tad unfair to lay problems that were years in the making solely at the feet of Snyder?
No.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Well, I certainly could rebut your "NO" regarding the state of DPS and Snyders culpability, but, since this thread was started laying the blame for the Flint water woes at Snyder's feet, I shall list a few bullet points regarding that.

It was Detroit that cancelled Flint’s water contract in 2013 after the city council decided to try to get out from under Detroit’s hefty water fees, forcing Flint to scramble for water since its new plan wouldn’t go into effect until 2016.

After Flint City council came up with a plan to treat water from the Flint River, Mayor Dayne Walling, a former field director for Rep. Dale Kildee (D-MI), shut off the Detroit water supply in April of 2014, stating that it is “historic” to be able to take drinking water from the city’s own “roots.” Complaints poured in from residents that the water tasted and smelled bad, but the mayor insisted, along with the city’s Emergency Manager and the MDEQ, that the water was safe.

Flint has been through four Emergency Managers in four years, as it was wildly bankrupt. But even after the problems caused by years of economic irresponsibility, the voters of Flint installed two felons, one a murderer, and two individuals who have declared personal bankruptcy in the past.

On October 1, the County of Genesee declared a public health emergency, and the next day Michigan Governor Rick Snyder offered $1 million in water filters for the city’s 99,000 residents. Five days later, city officials recommended reconnecting to the Detroit water supply, which they cannot afford, and within 15 days, Detroit water once again flowed to Flint’s water taps.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/comm ... 74uUW.dpuf

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Snyder's DEQ failed to perform its duties properly, then lied about it.

Snyder himself likely wasn't part of any conspiracy, but the people he & his designees entrusted failed the citizens of this state. The response of Snyder's office lacked the urgency appropriate for this situation.

Fire Blashill!!!!

jry

Post by jry » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:30 pm

And, i am sure that the folks in Lansing think that the state would do better without Flint.
They probably saw the reports and thought, whatever, it's Flint for petes sake. Sadly, this once robust community has turned into the armpit of Michigan. Years of crooks, doing what they do.

To quote someone, high up.... That area has the most crooked government in the State....

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:30 am

What's interesting is yesterday - finally - Schuette's office woke up and announced it would a conduct an investigation of its own.

That decision should've happened in early October. The fact he made such an announcement only after this story has received significant national attention is extremely pitiful.

There'd probably be no investigation at all if Schuette weren't running for Governor in 2018. This is nothing more than a desperate attempt by Schuette to save political face.

Fire Blashill!!!!

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:58 am

MWmetalhead wrote:What's interesting is yesterday - finally - Schuette's office woke up and announced it would a conduct an investigation of its own.

That decision should've happened in early October. The fact he made such an announcement only after this story has received significant national attention is extremely pitiful.

There'd probably be no investigation at all if Schuette weren't running for Governor in 2018. This is nothing more than a desperate attempt by Schuette to save political face.
"No state laws were broken."

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:10 am

Schuette investigating tells us that Snyders key ali's are distancing themselves from him. Schuette is eyeing the governor's office, and now that the fix could exceed a billion dollars, he has no chance unless he looks like an outsider.

This is part of the unraveling of political support for Snyder.

Nice editorial by the times...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/op ... flint.html

© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

jry

Post by jry » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Some will attack the A/Gs investigation as advancing his own political aspirations.
Some will say that he is a Republican that is protecting his fellow Repubs.
It's a no win deal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 am

Had he opened the investigation in OCTOBER, it wouldn't look as disingenuous as it does now.

Fire Blashill!!!!

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 am

As a friend pointed out to me this morning, who is legally responsible for defending the governor if he is charged with a crime?

The state attorney general.

Yet the AG is now investigating the situation.

This demands a special prosecutor.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:33 am

Nolan Finley finally speaks on this matter:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... /78908000/

I agree 100% with what Nolan wrote, with the exception of his final paragraph (this crisis will help define Snyder's legacy and is emblematic of his tendency to delegate hard work to others). I guess I'm wondering why this editorial wasn't written much sooner. Nonetheless, I think Finley's remarks - with the exception of that last paragraph - are spot on.

Here is an excerpt:
When the first jug of brown water was drawn from a tap in Flint and held in front of a television camera, why didn’t someone in the administration say, “Damn the tests, nobody should have to drink that stuff.” What exactly did Snyder himself know, and when? He should pledge full transparency, including the release of all executive branch e-mails and other correspondence in regard to Flint.

Next, the governor must assure state residents that he is quickly and thoroughly restructuring the culpable departments with the aim of ridding them of the incompetents who produced so much bad information and decisions. If those bureaucrats were not able to protect the people of Flint, they can’t be trusted to avert or detect the next environmental or health crisis.

The departments must be placed under a microscope.

A close look at state standards governing how much copper and lead in water is tolerable is essential. Are the limits tight enough to protect children? Does the state have the technology and expertise to detect dangerous levels of those metals?

Michigan’s public universities are chock full of the best scientists and research equipment in the world. That’s an asset the state should use to either supplement or replace the state employees who failed so colossally in Flint. Those professors and researchers are already on the state payroll — use them.

Fire Blashill!!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:41 am

I blame the party/people that aren't my people/party. Now if the people/party responsible were the party that I didn't like, I'd find any way possible to blame them entirely. I'd find other fingers to use to point blame. But the people involved have the same letter next to their name as the party I identify with, so I have to blame the other guys and make any and all excuses for my guy/my party. Because, Goddamnit, someone has to be at fault, and it certainly isn't gonna be a MY guy! Not MY party! It's the OTHER guy's fault! Now pardon me while I cherry pick facts and make excuses for my political party and find a way to blame the political party I don't agree with. Murrica!

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:48 am

MWmetalhead wrote:Nolan Finley finally speaks on this matter:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... /78908000/

I agree 100% with what Nolan wrote, with the exception of his final paragraph (this crisis will help define Snyder's legacy and is emblematic of his tendency to delegate hard work to others). I guess I'm wondering why this editorial wasn't written much sooner. Nonetheless, I think Finley's remarks - with the exception of that last paragraph - are spot on.

Here is an excerpt:
When the first jug of brown water was drawn from a tap in Flint and held in front of a television camera, why didn’t someone in the administration say, “Damn the tests, nobody should have to drink that stuff.” What exactly did Snyder himself know, and when? He should pledge full transparency, including the release of all executive branch e-mails and other correspondence in regard to Flint.

Next, the governor must assure state residents that he is quickly and thoroughly restructuring the culpable departments with the aim of ridding them of the incompetents who produced so much bad information and decisions. If those bureaucrats were not able to protect the people of Flint, they can’t be trusted to avert or detect the next environmental or health crisis.

The departments must be placed under a microscope.

A close look at state standards governing how much copper and lead in water is tolerable is essential. Are the limits tight enough to protect children? Does the state have the technology and expertise to detect dangerous levels of those metals?

Michigan’s public universities are chock full of the best scientists and research equipment in the world. That’s an asset the state should use to either supplement or replace the state employees who failed so colossally in Flint. Those professors and researchers are already on the state payroll — use them.
Nolan just blamed everybody he could find that wasn't Snyder and his gang... He spun like a top to do it too... :barf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic