All accepted registrations through October 19 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Get arrested for cheering at graduation?

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: Get arrested for cheering at graduation?

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Let me get this right... an young african-american woman attains an academic achievement and her father, a african-american male (presumably) living in the household makes a brief affirmation of that achievement which causes a shitstorm?

Sweet Chocolate Jesus, I'm this close to offering her a college scholarship myself just so in four years I can yell "you did it baby".

Keep em' stupid and fatherless so you can continue the narrative, right con's?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:42 pm

As a conservative and author of this thread, I think you need check yourself on that one.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:23 pm

audiophile wrote:As a conservative and author of this thread, I think you need check yourself on that one.
Perhaps.
It just astounds me that something we should all be celebrating, a father in a young woman's life let's out a hoot at a graduation and HE'S the bad guy. Most everyone pops off about there always being two sides to a story. Sorry folks, not this story, not this time. I was the first person in my entire family, extended or otherwise to go to college. Maybe in your heritage that's nothing special, but in my clan it was a big fucking deal. Maybe in the school's principal and superintendent family academic achievement is no big whoop. I'm willing to say (as the father's actions displayed) that in his family it was, like mine, a big fucking deal.

To try put a 'rulz is rulz' or 'it wasn't appropriate' spin on the action misses the entire point of what our best selves should be all about. Again, sorry, no sale. To say otherwise is perverting why we even bother to be something more than shit-throwing chimps.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
audiophile wrote:As a conservative and author of this thread, I think you need check yourself on that one.
Perhaps.
It just astounds me that something we should all be celebrating, a father in a young woman's life let's out a hoot at a graduation and HE'S the bad guy. Most everyone pops off about there always being two sides to a story. Sorry folks, not this story, not this time. I was the first person in my entire family, extended or otherwise to go to college. Maybe in your heritage that's nothing special, but in my clan it was a big fucking deal. Maybe in the school's principal and superintendent family academic achievement is no big whoop. I'm willing to say (as the father's actions displayed) that in his family it was, like mine, a big fucking deal.

To try put a 'rulz is rulz' or 'it wasn't appropriate' spin on the action misses the entire point of what our best selves should be all about. Again, sorry, no sale. To say otherwise is perverting why we even bother to be something more than shit-throwing chimps.
+1

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:56 pm

This was a High School commencement. Graduating high school, while an achievement, used to be considered as route. By today's standards, even your "shit throwing chimp" could get a high school degree.

The guy and several family members cheered. He wasn't the first ever to do it and he wont be be the last. He/they certainly shouldn't have had a warrant issued, but still, we are too eager to excuse proper decorum and behavior today. Ala, "Let them riot".

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Bryce wrote:This was a High School commencement. Graduating high school, while an achievement, used to be considered as route. By today's standards, even your "shit throwing chimp" could get a high school degree.
The elitist voice of privilege is strong in this one...

Go to Carrizozo, New Mexico. Go to Hendricks, West Virginia. Go to Perry, Oklahoma. Heck, let's even stay closer to home, maybe Marycrest, Illinois or Trenary, Michigan. I'll drive you there myself just to watch you get your teeth planted in the back of your throat after you blurt that little bit of wisdom to some family trying to get their kid through high school.

Better yet, get some professional help. Get some humanity.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Bryce wrote:This was a High School commencement. Graduating high school, while an achievement, used to be considered as route. By today's standards, even your "shit throwing chimp" could get a high school degree.
The elitist voice of privilege is strong in this one...

Go to Carrizozo, New Mexico. Go to Hendricks, West Virginia. Go to Perry, Oklahoma. Heck, let's even stay closer to home, maybe Marycrest, Illinois or Trenary, Michigan. I'll drive you there myself just to watch you get your teeth planted in the back of your throat after you blurt that little bit of wisdom to some family trying to get their kid through high school.

Better yet, get some professional help. Get some humanity.
+2

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Privilege my ass...

I grew up in a 900 sq. ft. house with a father that worked 14 to 16 hours a day, including weekends, and a step-mom that put in 40 hours a week on her own job. Granted, I never missed a meal and always had clean clothes, but the meals weren't "five star" and the clothes weren't the latest fashion, much to the delight of many of my classmates.

But what I did benefit from, were parents that made sure I got my ass to school, did my homework and got good grades. If I didn't, there was hell to pay. Graduating high school was an expectation, a milestone, not something even in question. They wanted my life to be better than theirs as my father only made it through 8th grade.

The scenario you describe is the fruit that has been born from the lowering of expectations to the lowest common denominator. That, along with the breakdown of the family unit as a result of progressive policy, has taken the will, desire and need to excel from a large swath of our population.

Progressives (liberals, except they changed their name to something they think is more palatable) are the people that need to get some humanity. They have taught two generations not to believe in self reliance and the excellence of the individual. They have been handed a recipe for failure.

Here is some of that "fruit".

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /28737729/

The family is proud. Great! They should be. Save the celebration and hooting and hollering for after the commencement ceremony.

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:04 am

Bryce wrote:Privilege my ass...

I grew up in a 900 sq. ft. house with a father that worked 14 to 16 hours a day, including weekends, and a step-mom that put in 40 hours a week on her own job. Granted, I never missed a meal and always had clean clothes, but the meals weren't "five star" and the clothes weren't the latest fashion, much to the delight of many of my classmates.

But what I did benefit from, were parents that made sure I got my ass to school, did my homework and got good grades. If I didn't, there was hell to pay. Graduating high school was an expectation, a milestone, not something even in question. They wanted my life to be better than theirs as my father only made it through 8th grade.

The scenario you describe is the fruit that has been born from the lowering of expectations to the lowest common denominator. That, along with the breakdown of the family unit as a result of progressive policy, has taken the will, desire and need to excel from a large swath of our population.

Progressives (liberals, except they changed their name to something they think is more palatable) are the people that need to get some humanity. They have taught two generations not to believe in self reliance and the excellence of the individual. They have been handed a recipe for failure.

Here is some of that "fruit".

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /28737729/

The family is proud. Great! They should be. Save the celebration and hooting and hollering for after the commencement ceremony.
+.5

pbr

Post by pbr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 am

Charges were dropped. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/09/mi ... g-charges/
"I think it's important to remember that this is a celebration of our community, and the majority of our community wants a ceremony where people are respectful of others and there's some dignity there."
I think that superintendent needs to take a long look in the mirror. It's a big day and people are going to cheer, instructions or no. From the stories I've read, the only one who crossed the line here is him.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:25 am

Perhaps.

What the HECK have I been saying all along in this thread??? Did you even bother to read what I said or the article?

Your shot at conservatives is misdirected here, and now you go on tangent about ethnicity/heritage/college which has nothing to do with it!

This is about those in authority abusing their positions over nothing.

Sheesh!

PS thanks PBR - for your update. You are right, very right :-)

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:23 am

audiophile wrote:
Perhaps.

What the HECK have I been saying all along in this thread??? Did you even bother to read what I said or the article?

Your shot at conservatives is misdirected here, and now you go on tangent about ethnicity/heritage/college which has nothing to do with it!

This is about those in authority abusing their positions over nothing.

Sheesh!

PS thanks PBR - for your update. You are right, very right :-)
At ease soldier. I have no beef with you. You're right, you've been clear about your position. You're on the side of the angels on this one. We're cool.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 am

I'm glad you clarified. Thank you.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Too many public school administrators in my view are barely better than politicians when it comes to decision making and ethics. Many get too cozy and too complacent in their positions and have a sense of undeserved entitlement and elitism. They view students, parents and teachers with disdain and feel those constituencies have no right to question their decisions.

The above situation is fueled by local school boards stacked with a mixture of wannabe politicians and well-intentioned but underqualified soccer mom types. Many school board members are decades removed from the classroom and are unaware of what skills are needed to compete in a 21st century economy. They are unwilling to hold administrators and teachers accountable for poor performance.

The same primary/secondary education model in this country has largely stayed in place since the 1940's/1950's. We are long overdue for a reset, in my view.

Greta Thunberg is a snot nosed brat who needs to STFU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic