All accepted registrations through October 19 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Crony Capitalism Conference on Mackinac

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Crony Capitalism Conference on Mackinac

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I love how these country club patrons want to soak rank-and-file Michigan citizens with new taxes while keeping their corporate welfare intact and participating minimally in the "new revenue" side of the equation.

Our dipshit Governor is leading the charge:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /28095021/

Kevin Cotter's plan isn't perfect, but it's a damn good start, and he's stated repeatedly that he is open to adding or removing certain elements and knows that any plan ultimately adopted into law will likely look quite a bit different from the working version of his proposal.

The doomsday picture the Dork (i.e. Snyder) is painting is eerily reminiscent of the tactics he used in his abysmally failed advocacy of Proposal 1. Most people disregarded his scare tactics as desperate political demagoguery last time and hopefully they will do the same this time.

It's ridiculous that $185 million of our tax dollars are being used each year by unelected officials at the MEDC to support crony capitalism and selectively choose winners and losers.

If tourist-oriented businesses want government-subsidized advertising on their behalf, they can BITE ME. Here's an idea -- How about the State Chamber showing some leadership by flipping at least some of the bill for "Pure Michigan" through dues collected from its members?

That "$1 in ad spending generates $6.87 in revenue" is such a bullshit statistic. Only a fraction of that revenue gets paid to employees in the form of wages or owners in the form of distributions or dividends. Would love to see the financial analysis backing that $6.87 figure as well.

Greta Thunberg is a snot nosed brat who needs to STFU.

Bryce

Re: Crony Capitalism Conference on Mackinac

Post by Bryce » Fri May 29, 2015 7:18 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
If tourist-oriented businesses want government-subsidized advertising on their behalf, they can BITE ME. Here's an idea -- How about the State Chamber showing some leadership by flipping at least some of the bill for "Pure Michigan" through dues collected from its members?
Thing is, is that Cotter's plan doesn't touch the money spent on the advertising campaign. That seems to be the portion that all the "tourist industry" people are up in arms about.
Cotter insisted Thursday that House Republicans would not let the $29 million spent annually on Pure Michigan promotions be harmed.
I'd like to find a breakdown on what exactly the OTHER 155 Million is being spent on.

Doesn't matter how many people would like to come enjoy "Pure Michigan" if the road leading to their hotel is so bad they decide to turn around.

Our state budget is somewhere north of 53 billion dollars. How about an across the board cut, everyone shares the "pain" equally, with the money being diverted to roads?

Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:31 am

Bryce wrote: Our state budget is somewhere north of 53 billion dollars. How about an across the board cut, everyone shares the "pain" equally, with the money being diverted to roads?
Not a bad idea. I personally could live with mitigating the across the board cut somewhat with a raise in the gas tax. It hasn't been raised since 199?. I forget but its been a lot of years. At least the gas tax is a user tax. At the same time we all need the roads whether we have a car or not.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 29, 2015 8:37 am

Welcome back Kotter!

Synder is a RINO lately.

As MW said, Film credits, MEDC are all corporate welfare. The Pure Michigan campaign should be funded by the CoC for out-of-state targeted advertising.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 am

Good points across the board from each of you.

The crony capitalists are whining that any reduction to the MEDC budget would cause curtailment or elimination of the Pure Michigan campaign.

I view that rhetoric as nothing more than deceptive scare tactics. The MEDC would simply need to live within the confines of a smaller budget and decide what gets cut and what doesn't. That said, if it were up to me, I *would* eliminate the tax dollar funding of Pure Michigan. That funding should come from private sources.

Greta Thunberg is a snot nosed brat who needs to STFU.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:39 am

audiophile wrote:Welcome back Kotter!

Synder is a RINO lately.

As MW said, Film credits, MEDC are all corporate welfare. The Pure Michigan campaign should be funded by the CoC for out-of-state targeted advertising.
Someone from 40 years ago would say today's republicans are RINOS too... The whole RINO things is bull...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 29, 2015 11:50 am

You're probably right. CINO.

I do see one purpose for MEDC....a clearing house for help with permits and other red tape.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:33 pm

audiophile wrote:You're probably right. CINO.

I do see one purpose for MEDC....a clearing house for help with permits and other red tape.
CINO?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Conservative In Name Only.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Bryce wrote:Conservative In Name Only.
That's still a stupid concept and it only cause republicans to rip themselves apart and have an identity crisis. It's absurd.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 29, 2015 1:56 pm

What's absurd is running as a conservative and then not following through. Lot of that going on at both state and national levels these days.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Bryce wrote:What's absurd is running as a conservative and then not following through. Lot of that going on at both state and national levels these days.
You've heard of politicians right? They have always been doing that... This isn't some new modern event...

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 pm

The biggest draw is the drinking and carousing. What happens on Mackinac Island stays on Mackinac Island.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic