Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

This is the United States of America, not China

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: This is the United States of America, not China

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Except that the person driving fast (legally because the speed limit is so high) or the person texting while driving (either legally because they're in a jurisdiction without any restrictions or illegally because the penalties are barely a slap on the wrist) is endangering the lives of others. I'm talking specifically about people who get behind the wheel (which for most people is a necessity and not a choice) to get to work or get to the store or get to wherever - people who have no control over how other people are driving - and get killed because either someone else on the road was texting or driving too fast because the speed limit is 75 and cops aren't even writing tickets to people driving 80. What reckless behavior are THESE people engaging in exactly?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 pm

I appreciate the thoughtful response, bmw.

The problem with leaving restrictions up to local municipalities is one of communication. Hundreds of cities, villages and townships sending their policies to local media outlets for dissemination would be a clusterfuck to manage. Direct mail? Not effective due to lack of timeliness versus the rapidly evolving nature of the situation. And what if you are a gas station or fast food restaurant owner with dozens of locations across numerous counties? Good luck trying to figure out which policy applies to which community.

Closing down schools, universities, and large gatherings? I have zero issue with that. Viruses spread like wildfire in a classroom setting, crowded hallways, etc. Kids get sick than their parents get sick. Parents often need to take care of grandparents. Not good!

Closing down gyms, health clubs, etc? Ditto.

Restaurants? I think those should've been permitted to remain open so long as minimum separation requirements are observed (similar to what you propose).

Church services? One doesn't need sit in the pews to worship God. I have no problem with the Governor's decision to prohibit large gatherings on an emergency basis. I also would've been OK had she chosen to exclude churches. It is important to note that even prior to the Governor's directive, many churches and religious organizations electively chose to postpone worship services.

The difference between the distracted driving example you gave versus Coronavirus is this - Coronavirus has the ability to take many times more lives over a much shorter timeframe than distracted driving. Coronavirus has the potential to overwhelm our hospitals, potentially leading to significant indirect casualities. When you are on the road, you have the ability to observe drivers near you and to drive defensively. Viruses cannot be seen by the naked eye.

I should note that drivers who endanger others while on the road are, in fact, breaking the law! It's not as if there aren't laws on the books to prevent or punish such behavior.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:41 pm

The authorities don’t want to get to the point of deciding who lives and dies because the hospitals are overrun.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:44 pm

You can't make EO's that are too complicated. Orders need to be simple enough to follow.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm

The contravirus effect in China started on November 17, 2019!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic