Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UAW Strike

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: UAW Strike

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:21 pm

zzand wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:05 am
A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. Full pay during any layoffs. Some I agree with. Get rid of the tiered pay system. Restore pensions, a pay raise? Yes, not 46 percent. You only want to work 32 hours a week, fine, but that's what you get paid for and no to full pay during layoffs.
You always aim higher than what you want as a union, and the companies offer lower than the final offer. Some folks here have not studied labor relations, and it shows. Most folks don't know what the NLRB is or does.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:41 pm

I realize how Union negotiations go. I don't need c spot run details. What I was saying and I will give you see spot run details since you obviously don't understand, is the union is out of the mind and no matter what the big three bring to the table they will say no because they want to strike.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm

Nobody wants a strike. Any fool can bargain their way to a strike. It takes skill to get to an agreement.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:19 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm
Nobody wants a strike. Any fool can bargain their way to a strike. It takes skill to get to an agreement.
They want 40 and the companies are barely getting to 15… they are clearly attempting to trigger a strike hoping the big three will relent. It’s a dangerous but real game. The challenge is not to get replaced by scabs and have the picket lines dwindle and the strike fund run dry first.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:34 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
They want 40 and the companies are barely getting to 15… they are clearly attempting to trigger a strike hoping the big three will relent. It’s a dangerous but real game. The challenge is not to get replaced by people who actually want to work and have the picket lines dwindle and the strike fund run dry first.
FIFY
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:37 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
They want 40 and the companies are barely getting to 15… they are clearly attempting to trigger a strike hoping the big three will relent. It’s a dangerous but real game. The challenge is not to get replaced by scabs and have the picket lines dwindle and the strike fund run dry first.
Somewhere between the respective positions of both parties there is an agreement The job of the bargaining committee is to find it.

In all my years of bargaining with employers I only ended with a strike once. That's when I decided it was time for me to retire.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:50 am

Talked to my buddy who owns a Jeep, Ram, Dodge, Chrysler dealership where I bought my last 2 vehicles and he says it seems to all involved like this UAW leader is heel bent on striking to teach the automakers a lesson. He also sees a future where union shops will become a thing of the past, not for a while but he sees them going away. He has overstocked his lot in prep for a work stoppage and says other dealers are doing the same. He isn't too worried as some of stock comes from overseas.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:33 pm

A strike represents a collective bargaining failure. Nothing to be proud of.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:33 pm
I don’t think a lot of other Union folks see it as a failure if they think it will get them more in the end. It’s a tool.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:11 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:56 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:33 pm
I don’t think a lot of other Union folks see it as a failure if they think it will get them more in the end. It’s a tool.

The strike threat is the tool Once you've played that card your position becomes weaker.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:13 pm

I find fairly amusing that for the first time in my life I'm considering buying domestic and there's labor unrest. Get it figured out boys or I'm back to overseas products.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:04 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:13 pm
I find fairly amusing that for the first time in my life I'm considering buying domestic and there's labor unrest. Get it figured out boys or I'm back to overseas products.

I've always driven domestic, Union built. But the domestics have now decided to build only trucks and luxury SUVs. Looks like next year I'll be shopping for an import.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:46 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:04 pm

I've always driven domestic, Union built. But the domestics have now decided to build only trucks and luxury SUVs. Looks like next year I'll be shopping for an import.
Holy shit. That is simply not true; plus, there is the used market.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:18 pm

Middle-class guys buy imports. I'll keep driving around in my union-assembled small SUV.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:46 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:04 pm

Holy shit. That is simply not true; plus, there is the used market.
Why would I trade in a vehicle I bought new 3 years ago for a used one? Buying a used vehicle doesn't support any North American jobs, no matter where it was built.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic