Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Promises Unkept …

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz

Re: Promises Unkept …

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:15 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:36 am
Andy must be like a typical liberal, if someone else is paying for it, you order differently than if you were paying for it yourself.

This is the trouble with government handouts too, reckless consumption/spending.
Hi. "Typical liberal" here. If someone else is paying, I tend to order less or, in some cases, nothing at all. I feel embarrassed/ashamed/awkward when someone else pays for me. I wouldn't ask someone to purchase for me what I wouldn't purchase for myself. My wife would be more than happy to vouch for that.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:00 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:15 pm
audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:36 am
Andy must be like a typical liberal, if someone else is paying for it, you order differently than if you were paying for it yourself.

This is the trouble with government handouts too, reckless consumption/spending.
Hi. "Typical liberal" here. If someone else is paying, I tend to order less or, in some cases, nothing at all. I feel embarrassed/ashamed/awkward when someone else pays for me. I wouldn't ask someone to purchase for me what I wouldn't purchase for myself. My wife would be more than happy to vouch for that.
You sound like a conservative to me. Rest well :-)
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:16 pm

I’m not a conservative. I wouldn’t dream of running up someone else’s bill. Others can vouch for my claim as well.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:16 pm
I’m not a conservative. I wouldn’t dream of running up someone else’s bill. Others can vouch for my claim as well.
I will third that… stereotypes aren’t very good measures of anything.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:10 am

Yet you all vote for people who use the power of the government to redistribute wealth, taking it from those who earned it and giving it to those who don't.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:39 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:26 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:18 am
So, New Times wondered, did Trump — who famously fancies his chicken from KFC and his steaks well-done and slathered with ketchup but isn't exactly known for picking up the check — treat his fan club to a spread of croquetas, pastelitos, and cubanos chased with cafecitos?

It turns out no one got anything. Not even a cafecito to-go.

A knowledgeable source assures New Times that Donald Trump's stop at Versailles totaled about ten minutes, leaving no time for anyone to eat anything, much less place an order.
So the original source seems to imply there was no actual tab to walk out on.
Very unBuzzboard like of you to actually read the article. But you missed the earlier line..
A glad-handing Trump was heard to declare, "Food for everyone!"
Imagine you, Mr/Ms/Whatever craig11152, wandering into the local establishment near your mansion and shouting "Drinks for everyone!" and then hurrying out before the bill is presented? Wouldn't that be a bit of a bummer for the hundreds that had shown up to toast you in the first place?

In any case... still makes him look like a guy who's ass never cashes the checks his mouth writes.
Actually I read the whole article but it seems you stopped after "food for everyone" . If in fact there was "no time for anyone to eat anything, much less place an order" per the article you posted but apparently didn't read in its entirety , then it seems logically there was no tab to walk out on.
To use another of your childish examples, I walked in to the bar and shouted "drinks for everyone" but last call was 20 minutes ago, nobody got a drink and everyone shuffled out the door in to the night. Did I walk out on a tab?
I no longer directly engage trolls

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:43 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:10 am
Yet you all vote for people who use the power of the government to redistribute wealth, taking it from those who earned it and giving it to those who don't.
Hey, I voted for Romney in '12. I felt multi-billion dollar corporations weren't getting a fair shake in this country.
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:42 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:10 am
Earned is relative. Does a guy sitting around all day making money off of stocks while poolside really earn anything? We feel bad for people and want to help them. But it’s not the conservative stereotype about redistribution of wealth like some sort of pirates attempting to raid rich peoples houses or something. But seeing a homeless man begging for dollars while that other guy is poolside sipping a martini, clicking a few buttons and multiplying his wealth multiple times with not a worry in the world is infuriating.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:02 am

The irony is pretty thick here.
Rate This wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 pm
stereotypes aren’t very good measures of anything.
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:42 am
...a guy sitting around all day making money off of stocks while poolside...sipping a martini, clicking a few buttons and multiplying his wealth multiple times with not a worry in the world

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:03 pm

We have perpetuated the myth that, if it wasn't for THOSE people, laying around the house all day, 6 kids by 5 men, Cadillac, new hairdo and nails, wearing Gucci, just waiting for that $10,000 weekly check in the mail, YOU too could become that guy, poolside, clicking a mouse and making millions on speculation. More than anything, I have heard that those that need the so-called "handout" are already working 40 hours a week, and that's just a single-person household. We celebrate one person stealing, and Judas another person for stealing, just in a different way. Sorry, I don't believe in the "welfare queen" meme. Remember, it comes out of MY paycheck also.
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 pm

We can debate the merits/justifications of wealth redistribution, but the bottom line is, if you pay more in taxes than the benefits/services you receive from the government, then your wealth is being redistributed. If you pay less in taxes than the benefits/services you receive from the government, then you are receiving somebody else's wealth. That is simple math.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 pm

I'm getting the feeling you're the type of guy who sits in the drive thru at McDonald's and counts how many fries he got in his meal.
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:44 pm

No, I'm the kind of guy who runs his own business and does his own taxes (literally filling out tax forms the old-fashioned way) and gets annoyed at how many man hours I have to spend book-keeping, only to cut a check to the feds every year that will basically vanish into a black hole.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:47 pm

No, I'm the kind of guy who runs his own business and does his own taxes (literally filling out tax forms the old-fashioned way) and gets annoyed at how many man hours I have to spend book-keeping, only to cut a check to the feds every year that will basically vanish into a black hole.
As do millions of other Americans, Cupcake. You're not that special.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:30 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:47 pm
As do millions of other Americans, Cupcake. You're not that special.
I don't think he is coming across as you think he is. My issue is that small business owners (to which I work for one) always want to cruise around in the Range Rover, go on yacht vacations, live the high life, be interviewed in Forbes while the pleebs bust ass for their paycheck. But the minute something doesn't smell right, it's the GODDAMN government as those FUCKIN liberals trying to take their Rover and give it to THOSE people.

Look, I live a good life. Woke up in St. John's Detroit with nothing but the clothes on my back and my ID. After I got out of treatment, I got one ride from Mt. Clemens to Ann Arbor; everything I owned fit in the trunk of a Fusion. No job, no car, no phone, no money, no contacts, nothing.

I am that conservative bootstraps meme in the flesh. I turned all that into a home in Brighton, married, two stepdaughters, two dogs, a 60+ an hour a week job, vacations, top level at work, everything. I can't pound the table every 15 min and get all pissy about every last thing. So after all that, plus being a 38 year old white, straight, American male, living in a red county, working construction, I just can't bring myself to live that kind of attitude. Shit, I'm happy just to BE here.

I don't think it's a question of "waste", I think it's a question of who's doing the wasting and what it's being wasted on. Tax cuts for Wal Mart and Coke and money for Lockheed Martin? Good. $159 a week to a welfare recipient? Bad.

"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the ax. For the ax had them fooled; he had them convinced he was one of them because his handle was made of wood".
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic