Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UAW Strike

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: UAW Strike

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:00 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:18 pm
Middle-class guys buy imports. I'll keep driving around in my union-assembled small SUV.
Perhaps you need to reevaluate your world view of what is considered middle class and what are imported automobiles, because last time I checked Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati and Bugatti were all imports and generally not purchased by those in the middle class.

Seems to me domestic manufacturers should be thanking the middle class buyers who are the only ones still purchasing their product.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 pm

TT, Here’s a little secret for you: the company makes more in its service departments than sales departments. So, if you aren’t sick of your car or it isn’t junk, why get rid of it? Go take it in for a tune up or service maintenance.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:00 pm
Perhaps you need to reevaluate your world view of what is considered middle class and what are imported automobiles, because last time I checked Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati and Bugatti were all imports and generally not purchased by those in the middle class.

Seems to me domestic manufacturers should be thanking the middle class buyers who are the only ones still purchasing their product.
The middle-class joke toward TT went flying over your head... I work in the auto industry. I'm well aware of what constitutes what as far as cars go. :rollin

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:09 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Middle-class guys buy imports. I'll keep driving around in my union-assembled small SUV.
My last three vehicles have been Chevy Equinox. A boring but reliable vehicle, Union built in Ingersol ON. We have neighbours who work at the plant. But GM has pulled production of the Equinox from that plant and moved it to Mexico. So, even if I buy another equinox (unlikely) it will be an import.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:09 pm
Motown322 wrote:
My last three vehicles have been Chevy Equinox. A boring but reliable vehicle, Union built in Ingersol ON. We have neighbours who work at the plant. But GM has pulled production of the Equinox from that plant and moved it to Mexico. So, even if I buy another equinox (unlikely) it will be an import.
If it's made in North America, it's not an import.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:26 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Motown322 wrote:
Made in Mexico is a non-Union import. Toyota and Honda both build products in Ontario, but they're non-Union.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
But GM has pulled production of the Equinox from that plant and moved it to Mexico. So, even if I buy another equinox (unlikely) it will be an import.
So by that rationale a Subaru Outback built in Lafayette, IN is a domestic vehicle. Like Matt said, if it's made in North America (and especially if the OEM is based in NA), it's not an import. Plus, many of those Ford/GM plants in Mexico are getting unionized now so you shouldn't have any reason to feel guilty.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
But GM has pulled production of the Equinox from that plant and moved it to Mexico. So, even if I buy another equinox (unlikely) it will be an import.
So by that rationale a Subaru Outback built in Lafayette, IN is a domestic vehicle. Like Matt said, if it's made in North America (and especially if the OEM is based in NA), it's not an import. Plus, many of those Ford/GM plants in Mexico are getting unionized now so you shouldn't have any reason to feel guilty.
The Unions in Mexico aren't real Unions. They're corrupt, government endorsed organizations. The leaders of the real Unions are either in jail or living in exile in other countries.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:45 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 pm
Motown322 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
The Unions in Mexico aren't real Unions. They're corrupt
:lol :lol :lol
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:59 am

Hate to break it to you but they are corrupt here too

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:09 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Circling back to what Motor City said earlier, why get another car?

Detail twice a year, fix any scratches and bubbles on the body as soon as you notice, do all the PM's when the manufacturer says, and be religious watching your levels. You'll get 300K out of any car.

Sure a whole lot cheaper than buying a new car.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:16 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:19 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Motown322 wrote:
But if it's bought in another state, it could still be "Imported from Detroit"!!

:lol

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 am

Any vehicle I buy has to be Union built in North America. It doesn't matter if it's Canada or US.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:27 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 am
Any vehicle I buy has to be Union built in North America. It doesn't matter if it's Canada or US.
There are TONS of options for that.

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:43 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:27 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 am
There are TONS of options for that.
Very true.
At one time the Toyota Tacoma pickup was the vehicle with the most US content. More than any vehicle sold by the Big 3. Built in Georgetown Kentucky by UAW workers. Made with AK steel (now Cleveland Cliffs) from a USW mill in Middletown Ohio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic