Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thanks, Doug!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Thanks, Doug!

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:16 am

Doug Burgum is giving $20 gift cards in exchange for campaign donations. Experts split on whether that's legal
So I gave him $1 via Apple Pay, and just got a virtual $20 Visa card that I used to donate to the Biden campaign! What a win-win!

bmw

Re: Thanks, Doug!

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:38 am

Donating to Biden? I thought you have said in the past in here that you're not a leftist, but rather an Independent. You're either actually a leftist, or not a rational-thinking Independent.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:44 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:38 am
Donating to Biden? I thought you have said in the past in here that you're not a leftist, but rather an Independent. You're either actually a leftist, or not a rational-thinking Independent.
Must be a lot of those then considering he was able to do halfway decent with independents. You also don’t have to be a “leftist” to support Biden. I’m not a leftist either… I’m a moderate. Keep putting folks in boxes because by that standard any independent who donates to Trump is also not rational-thinking.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 am

My position is that in order to support Biden, you have to be either a leftist or an idiot. But that's just me. And in fairness to me, leftists (and apparently moderates too since I'm sure you agree with the following) you position is that in order for me to vote for Trump, I would have to be a far-right loon or a complete idiot.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:48 am

As to the actual story linked, legal or not, giving out gift cards in exchange for campaign donations is sleazy at best. Not to mention people like FakeAndyStuart will now be bombarded with junk mail from now until the election, and maybe even after the election.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 am
My position is that in order to support Biden, you have to be either a leftist or an idiot. But that's just me. And in fairness to me, leftists (and apparently moderates too since I'm sure you agree with the following) you position is that in order for me to vote for Trump, I would have to be a far-right loon or a complete idiot.

Why would a leftist donate to Biden? He's so far right he makes even Bernie Sanders look progressive.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:42 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:10 pm
bmw wrote:

Why would a leftist donate to Biden? He's so far right he makes even Bernie Sanders look progressive.
You don't think Bernie Sanders looks progressive on his own?
The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:57 pm

bmw wrote:
And in fairness to me, leftists (and apparently moderates too since I'm sure you agree with the following) you position is that in order for me to vote for Trump, I would have to be a complete idiot.
FIFY
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:42 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:10 pm

You don't think Bernie Sanders looks progressive on his own?
Well, to be fair to Bernie, he's the only one of them who even acknowledges the working class. But it's always in the context of him expecting them to voluntarily submit to conversion therapy to become middle class.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:38 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:16 am
Doug Burgum is giving $20 gift cards in exchange for campaign donations. Experts split on whether that's legal
So I gave him $1 via Apple Pay, and just got a virtual $20 Visa card that I used to donate to the Biden campaign! What a win-win!
I love this so much. Just brilliant. I hope you used a burner email account. Also very smart to use Apple Pay, I think it uses measures to keep you relatively anonymous. The gift card value going to Biden... *chef's kiss*

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:30 pm

bmw wrote:
Well, my position is that in order to really piss off the most people in this forum, I had to "say" I gave the money to Biden. But it really went to my outstanding bar tab at the Ottawa Tavern.

While we are chatting, what defines a "leftist"? And no, I realize that you don't have to be a loon or idiot to support former President Trump, but it does help.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:35 pm

bmw wrote:
My position is that in order to support Biden, you have to be either a leftist or an idiot.
Case in point:
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:38 pm
I love this so much...The gift card value going to Biden... *chef's kiss*

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Perry Johnson has entered the chat...

$10 gas gift card for a $1 donation: https://twitter.com/Th_Midwesterner/sta ... 7828550658
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:20 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:35 pm
bmw wrote:
My position is that in order to support Biden, you have to be either a leftist or an idiot.
Case in point:
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:38 pm
I love this so much...The gift card value going to Biden... *chef's kiss*
Okay, so "leftist" equals "Biden" - got it. Good way to push aside anyone who has even a slight difference in opinion.

One of the problems today... especially with the Trump camp, but certainly both sides in this partisan atmosphere, is the desire to demonize the "other side". No matter what you, I or anyone else believes, we don't solve the problems in America today without considering both sides of any issue and coming up with the "third" solution.
Not to mention people like FakeAndyStuart will now be bombarded with junk mail from now until the election, and maybe even after the election.
It will all go to my other email - iamone@leftist.com

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:27 pm

I took a dig at Lester for no reason other than he's a 100% certified asshole (in my opinion, anyways).

As to your question about defining a leftist, the full answer would require writing a book. What I will say is that within the spectrum of United States politics, Joe Biden's beliefs and policies fall squarely within left-wing politics. If anybody wants to argue that any of his policies are actually right-of-center in this country, be my guest. There may be a few, but the vast majority are not. As such, in order to support him, one would have to be a leftist. I would also argue that most (not all, but most) people who claim to be "moderate" are actually more to the left than to the right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic