Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2022 Election Results Thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: 2022 Election Results Thread

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 am

Whitmer definitely got a bump because of proposition 3. Women turned out across the country based on what has been happening with the rollback of Roe v Wade. I'm not suggesting she would have lost if the issue wasn't on the ballot. I'm suggesting the vote would have been much tighter. Of course, Dixon would have had zero platform at that point. Go on Wikipedia and read the women's experience. Being part of a failing Steel company and the talk show host on some obscure streaming platform are the only two credentials she has besides growing up in Illinois.

I'd also like to point out that Michigan really doesn't care for anything that has the stench of Devos on it. With the exception of Ottawa County, she is the embarrassment of the state.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:47 am

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Matt regarding Whitmer being worse. I cannot recall Granholm telling any outright lies with regard to policy stances; she only spewed B.S. with regard to Michigan's economic health. She also had a much better working relationship with the legislature, although that wasn't always a good thing in terms of policy outcomes unfortunately (film tax credits and Michigan SBT come to mind).

I also agree with TC Talks that Prop 3 helped Whitmer to an extent.

I am not sure financial backing from the DeVos family matters one way or the other when it comes to whom Independents support. What's interesting is the Trump / far right wing of the GOP used that as ammunition against DeVos-backed candidates during the primary & nominating seasons. For instance, that line of rhetoric was extremely unsuccessful when it came to the gubernatorial primary race but arguably did work against the likes of Tom Leonard and Peter Meijer.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:49 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:25 am
Matt, I believe his ego won't let him not run. Trump thinks he can win again. I will vote DeSantis over Trump. I will vote for any other GOP candidate over Trump
I am thinking of voting for Trump over DeSantis in the primary(if Joe runs for a 2nd term) because Trump isn’t as evil as Ron. And secondly, DeSantis is much more dangerous in the general. He doesn’t have the baggage of Trump.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:47 am
I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Matt regarding Whitmer being worse. I cannot recall Granholm telling any outright lies with regard to policy stances; she only spewed B.S. with regard to Michigan's economic health. She also had a much better working relationship with the legislature, although that wasn't always a good thing in terms of policy outcomes unfortunately (film tax credits and Michigan SBT come to mind).

I am not sure financial backing from the DeVos family matters one way or the other when it comes to whom Independents support. What's interesting is the Trump / far right wing of the GOP used that as ammunition against DeVos-backed candidates during the primary & nominating seasons. For instance, that line of rhetoric was extremely unsuccessful when it came to the gubernatorial primary race but arguably did work against the likes of Tom Leonard and Peter Meijer.
Don’t ever compare the two. Their beauty was the only thing they had in common. Granhole raised taxes time after time. Gretchen didn’t. The legislature has refused to work with her on ANYTHING. Granholm sent manufacturing jobs overseas and also many service jobs. Gretchen had helped bring a lot of manufacturing jobs back and improved the Medicaid program and reformed many different departments.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:10 am

My home county Grand Traverse County went blue almost exclusively across the board this year. I believe this is the first time it's happened.

Based on everything I read about spending, the Republicans outspent the Democrats significantly. It's the first time in many elections that the candidate with the biggest wallet lost.
― Matt

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 am

Let the lawsuits and the whining begin.
― Matt

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:31 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:49 am
I am thinking of voting for Trump over DeSantis in the primary(if Joe runs for a 2nd term) because Trump isn’t as evil as Ron. And secondly, DeSantis is much more dangerous in the general. He doesn’t have the baggage of Trump.
I think DeSantis will decide not run against Trump. Just basing an opinion based on the different things I've been reading. DeSantis will just keep running Florida until 2028.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:35 am

I won't ever vote for Trump or DeSantis. DeSantis is anti-gay/trans, and he took advantage and misled migrants and put them on a bus to the northeast. Using those poor people as political pawns. And Trump, well he's a piece of trash.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am

Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:02 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:47 am

Don’t ever compare the two. Their beauty was the only thing they had in common. Granhole raised taxes time after time. Gretchen didn’t. The legislature has refused to work with her on ANYTHING. Granholm sent manufacturing jobs overseas and also many service jobs. Gretchen had helped bring a lot of manufacturing jobs back and improved the Medicaid program and reformed many different departments.
Beauty? Come on... Whitmer is MAYBE a 6 on some days.

Whitmer wanted the highest gas tax in the country and was soundly denied. She bragged about her bipartisanship when the reality is that EVERY bill she signed was bipartisan. She bragged about accomplishing her constitutionally required duty of balancing the budget. You can't have it both ways.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am

zzand wrote:
Matt, I believe his ego won't let him not run. Trump thinks he can win again. I will vote DeSantis over Trump. I will vote for any other GOP candidate over Trump
Stop it with that bullshit. The people that know Ron DeSantis best overwhelmingly reelected him.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:03 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am
zzand wrote:
Stop it with that bullshit. The people that know Ron DeSantis best overwhelmingly reelected him.
Florida is officially a red state so I wouldn’t put a ton of stock in their decisions it’s about as red as Texas now. No statewide Democrats at all.

In other news both the Michigan house and senate went blue making it the first time since 1984 that they will have the trifecta.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:25 am

I didn't see that. This legislative cycle should be very interesting in fixing a bunch of the garbage the Republicans have been putting forward for years.

Betsy Cofia is heading to Lansing. I hosted several fundraisers for her and I can't be prouder of all the hard work she has put in over the last 10 years to get here.

This could be the most significant result of the election for those of us in Michigan.
― Matt

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:09 am

My random thoughts on yesterday's election:

-DeSantis NEEDS to be the 2024 Republican presidential nominee.

-The gap between how men and women voted was enormous. The Supreme Court should never have touched the hornet's nest that is abortion.

-Either Covid was not an issue, or voters have decided they enjoyed losing their basic freedoms during a pandemic.

-Trump is in a weaker position politically today than he was yesterday.

-We are going to be a BITTERLY divided country for the next 2 years. Republicans are going to take the House, albeit by a small margin, and the Senate is going to be either 50-50 or 51-49 either way. Despite how poorly Republicans performed relative to expectation, Biden is still going to be something of a lame duck President.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:15 am

https://tinyurl.com/2yu8c3b5
In other news both the Michigan house and senate went blue making it the first time since 1984 that they will have the trifecta.
For it is a human number

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:18 am

I think abortion was a big deal on this election. Also seems the majority of Michigan voters didn't want election deniers representing them and didn't want those who would not accept the outcomes. And there were a lot of those candidates.
-Either Covid was not an issue, or voters have decided they enjoyed losing their basic freedoms during a pandemic.
For it is a human number

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic