Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ALL MSU grads for the last 30 years are eligible for up to $10,000 in federal loan forgiveness!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
craig11152

Re: ALL MSU grads for the last 30 years are eligible for up to $10,000 in federal loan forgiveness!

Post by craig11152 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:08 am

In my opinion there is a fundamental difference between the Government handing out money and the Government NOT collecting money in the form of taxes.
A not insignificant amount of "corporate welfare" is about NOT collecting taxes versus handing out cash.

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Re: ALL MSU grads for the last 30 years are eligible for up to $10,000 in federal loan forgiveness!

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:30 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:08 am
In my opinion there is a fundamental difference between the Government handing out money and the Government NOT collecting money in the form of taxes.
A not insignificant amount of "corporate welfare" is about NOT collecting taxes versus handing out cash.
A government handing out money is taking it from EVERYONE who pays taxes (all the various taxes) and the folks that benefit are ONLY those to get the handouts.

The government NOT collecting taxes from a particular business *might* only benefit those customers/consumers of the product of that business. I say "might" because if there is competition in the market than the customers/consumers have an option to buy from other sources. The company never pays the tax, they just collect the tax from customers/consumers and forward it to the government. It's just another way for the government to hid the tax burden on the public.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:52 pm

A Government NOT collecting taxes for some period of time might mean that company expanding operations and creating new jobs. Jobs that pay taxes and help mitigate the tax break. Then at some point the tax break goes away and taxes are collected.
So you are wrong to assume the only winners are the company and maybe some customers.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:55 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:52 pm
A Government NOT collecting taxes for some period of time might mean that company expanding operations and creating new jobs. Jobs that pay taxes and help mitigate the tax break. Then at some point the tax break goes away and taxes are collected.
So you are wrong to assume the only winners are the company and maybe some customers.
And if you give those tax breaks or incentive to ONE company and they expand and prosper (as you suggest), what does that do to any of the companies that they are in competition with, and those companies employees and customers and the resulting taxes that they are no longer paying?
Last edited by km1125 on Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm

craig11152 wrote:
They aren’t handing out money… nobody is getting money in their bank account here.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:10 pm

I know this thread is about BIDEN handing out the bucks, but this video speaks to the larger issue of the government in general handing out the bucks....

http://youtu.be/sYXDxAom-Zg

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:19 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:10 pm
I know this thread is about BIDEN handing out the bucks, but this video speaks to the larger issue of the government in general handing out the bucks....

http://youtu.be/sYXDxAom-Zg
Forgiving bucks is not handing out bucks. If this stands that $20,000 I have forgiven might lower my payment but I will receive no direct benefit in the form of any sort of reimbursement. This is simply moving 0’s around on a balance sheet on a computer in some data center in a cave in Colorado.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:39 pm

It most certainly is "handing out bucks"!! Those bucks will never be paid back into the coffers (although even if they did they'd probably be wasted on something else just as useless).

And really... no direct benefit??? No lower payments?? No earlier payoff of principle? No improvement of credit rating because of less debt on the books?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:34 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:39 pm
It most certainly is "handing out bucks"!! Those bucks will never be paid back into the coffers (although even if they did they'd probably be wasted on something else just as useless).

And really... no direct benefit??? No lower payments?? No earlier payoff of principle? No improvement of credit rating because of less debt on the books?
There’s moving 0’s and there’s what you do in stimulus… two different things. As I said already that principle disappears at 20 years by default whether the principle is gone or not. You might save a hundred or two on the payments per month but most are in income based plans anyways so that will greatly limit the savings. As for credit scores… they are funny things. I’m at 731 or 741 depending on the company… I just looked at that counts the $56,000 I owe to The department of Education. I’m not sure how much it’ll go up and it won’t show as a payment… just a change in amount. I’m not exactly sure what that’ll do. If they pay off the thing entirely as they will in some cases with this then someone’s score may fall temporarily at least because an account was closed. Credit Karma will then say “it’s ok closed accounts happen sometimes” when I log in for a week.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm
craig11152 wrote:
They aren’t handing out money… nobody is getting money in their bank account here.
The question here is simple: would you rather pad the assets of wealthy fucks or help out the lower to middle classes? Big ass difference between billionaires getting a bailout and my age counterparts. Ninety percent of the funds go to those in the middle to low classes. It helps many in my age group. I get $0 from it and paid my loans in 2009 and am not bitter in the slightest. Some of my friends(mostly millennials) are going to be able to make a down payment on a house or pay down other debt.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:17 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:29 pm
Rate This wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
The question here is simple: would you rather pad the assets of wealthy fucks or help out the lower to middle classes? Big ass difference between billionaires getting a bailout and my age counterparts. Ninety percent of the funds go to those in the middle to low classes. It helps many in my age group. I get $0 from it and paid my loans in 2009 and am not bitter in the slightest. Some of my friends(mostly millennials) are going to be able to make a down payment on a house or pay down other debt.
So your life isn’t over?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:17 pm
Rate This wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
So your life isn’t over?
Amazing, isn't it?
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:07 am

Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:17 pm
Rate This wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
So your life isn’t over?
Amazing, isn't it?
Will wonders never cease?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:52 am

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:04 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:52 am
That meme is likely inaccurate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic