Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Everyone is hiring but is anyone hiring?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 9015

Everyone is hiring but is anyone hiring?

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:34 am

I thought I would throw this out here because this is a legitimate question I have that I've only done some reading into, partly because in what I have read, experts don't really seem to have answers. People here run small businesses and such so they're sensitive to the market, and even in a very small business I run with a partner, we have run into this problem ourselves.

Right now, businesses are busy trying to handle orders and keep day-to-day operations going. If you want overtime, you got it. As much as you want quite often. HR departments, if you are large enough to have an actual HR department, are busy trying to find new people and smaller businesses are advertising that they need people. But what I am noticing as a common theme across the board is that while they advertise and put the word out that theyre hiring, they aren't.

A few people I talked to, I got some anecdotal evidence from on why this is the case, and I also reflected on my current business woes. There are a few themes that seem to be restricting hiring, even while there is desperate need.

One is that businesses are so in need of labor, they do not have the resources to bring in new people to train and develop. The time it takes to handle paperwork and orientation and all onboarding stuff isn't a significant factor, especially for larger businesses where they have administration to handle it who aren't super busy in operations. But once the person is brought in, they must be trained, monitored, and considering the difficulty of learning knowledge jobs, even when someone has education and experience, that is a great time investment when you're strapped for labor as-is. Relying on workers working 60-70 hours a week will pull you through, albeit with them getting mighty pissed off.

Second is that the expectations for applicants is much too high. This is an issue that has seemingly been a problem for a few decades. When I was fresh out of my undergrad, I had a degree in accounting. Entry-level positions were requiring 2+ years of quickbooks experience. Quickbooks is something you can get a handle on in a couple of weekends and master extended use of in 6 months. Luckily, I received an internship and was invited to apply for a full-time position at one of the larger firms in the industry. Just going to craigslist in Detroit and searching "entry level" in the accounting section you get this poorly written ad (https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/acc/ ... 35181.html) where they threw out a bunch of vague requirements but specify that the position is both "entry-level" and requires someone experienced. Positions all across the board are requiring things that make locating employees even harder, and that keeps them trapped in a cycle.

There is one other theme, but I don't really consider it as major as the first two, but it is noteworthy. The labor market's approach to job applications. Services such as indeed, craigslist, etc. have made it easy for someone to apply for a position. REAL EASY. So people will shotgun applications to jobs, even the long applications that can take up to an hour to complete. I have a buddy who is a DM for Walgreen's. Great chain, might I add. Best candy aisle of the drug stores. Anyhow, whenever they put up a job, they will receive over 100 applications. When they call around for people to come, they're lucky if about half of those selected answer the phone or return a call. They set appointments for interviews and maybe 1 in 8 will show up. People apply for jobs they have no interest in and make appointments they have no intention of making. So when looking back on the first theme, you can see how this can be a problem.

Anyone else notice these themes? Am I way off here? This problem is much deeper than the whole "free rider" bellyaching and it doesn't seem set to improve anytime soon.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Everyone is hiring but is anyone hiring?

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:51 am

I work part time(not going to give details as I don't need the mockery from the peanut gallery as well as the fact that the job is sensitive) but have applied to full time jobs. I have been on the end where I get a message from a recruiter. Call them back but never hear from them again. My only guess is that some of these recruiters are doing the job of 3-4 people. So, yes, all these jobs may exist, but I am guessing these recruiters are swamped with interviews or working part time themselves on a contract basis.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:44 am

What I'm seeing on the hiring side is that people looking for jobs that are decent have opportunities. We recently completed a failed search where we advanced 4 candidates to the second round - all initially accepted the second interview but 3 of the 4 had accepted another job prior to the second interview. The individual that made it to the second round didn't really perform well enough to earn an offer. If an offer went out, we would truly be taking a flyer. For another position, we went through three hiring cycles this year, with the third FINALLY being successful. To answer the initial question, I think organizations want to hire but are not willing to hire just any warm body.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 am

I have hired six people in the last 4 months. The trick to getting a good candidate is shorten the hiring window. Millennials and gen Z will not go through a hiring process that takes longer than a couple of weeks. In my case we have rapid interviews and had an offer within 12 days.

In one case we found someone exactly what we were looking for and we had three interviews and an offer in 7 days. We have several assessment tools ready to go if we find someone we like. This has dramatically reduced bad hires.

As far as job postings go, we didn't find anything remotely interesting after the first five days of a job posting.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 am
I have hired six people in the last 4 months. The trick to getting a good candidate is shorten the hiring window. Millennials and gen Z will not go through a hiring process that takes longer than a couple of weeks. In my case we have rapid interviews and had an offer within 12 days.
We had a great candidate that I thought we should have hired on the basis of the round one interview, experience, and references. Some people are so stuck on cover letter and resume small errors - there are some egregious things I can't overlook - that we've probably missed out on otherwise good candidates.

We had a candidate open his recorded first interview with one of those "tell us about yourself and why you are interested in this position" and he leads with "I identify as a Christian..." He gave us plenty of reasons to not advance his candidacy, but the leadoff sent a very strange tone.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

hanson

Post by hanson » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 am

We had a candidate open his recorded first interview with one of those "tell us about yourself and why you are interested in this position" and he leads with "I identify as a Christian..." He gave us plenty of reasons to not advance his candidacy, but the leadoff sent a very strange tone.
I had a meeting with my new manager and he started by using that phrase. I think it is Evangelical code for "Are you one of us?"

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:39 am

hanson wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am
Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 am

I had a meeting with my new manager and he started by using that phrase. I think it is Evangelical code for "Are you one of us?"
Very strange and COMPLETELY inappropriate.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:01 am

I must say, I'm happy being a one-man operation and not having to deal with any of these problems. I have a few people who I can call whenever I need work done and I simply contract it out to them.

That said, even though I'm not hiring, I've still been getting people asking me if I am - ranging from walking into my shop and handing me a formal resume, to people facebook messaging my business, briefly stating their credentials, and asking for a job.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:39 am

I did not. And that ABC test looks to be far more strict than what the state of Michigan currently uses, which is basically just part A of that test - that being that as long a an employer doesn't micro-manage how a contractor does their work, then they can be considered a contractor.

Part C in particular would be troubling as it would ban contract work done by (A) retired people, and (B) people with regular jobs who do a little bit of contracting on the side. That would certainly be a potential problem for my business.

But, leave it to the government to interfere in something it has no business interfering in. Per your link, 95% of private contractors would prefer to remain as private contractors. So long as they're willing to pay the otherwise employer share of taxes (such as half the payroll tax) then the government should butt out.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:59 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am
Did you see this BMW?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... kmpF5rMHlo
This to me seems like a way to capture as much money as possible. Let's be honest. Many independent contractors (that I know) are cash work. Joe's Home Improvement, Sally's Cleaning, that sort of thing. Money the Democrats need to fund their spending. Just my thoughts as I read the article.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:20 pm

So if contractors are outlawed, then only outlaws will be contractors?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic