Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

McCain - 'Pothole Pete' screwing over lower income and middle class Americans!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

McCain - 'Pothole Pete' screwing over lower income and middle class Americans!

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:56 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Pothole Pete? LOL

------------------------------
Meghan McCain was among those criticizing his comments, calling the tax idea a way to 'completely screw over' lower income Americans.

'Truly brilliant want to completely screw over lower income and middle class Americans!' McCain tweeted.

'And every single person living in a rural area who has to drive far to get places! Just brilliant Pete, truly.'

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

HD74

Re: McCain - 'Pothole Pete' screwing over lower income and middle class Americans!

Post by HD74 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Trying to figure out your point here?
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

TC Talks

Re: McCain - 'Pothole Pete' screwing over lower income and middle class Americans!

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:10 pm

If you ask me we spend far too much time cuddling the hay seeds out in the rural areas.
In 2020, there were approximately 57.23 million people living in rural areas in the United States, compared to about 272.91 million people living in urban areas.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/985 ... lation-us/
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:10 pm
If you ask me we spend far too much time cuddling the hay seeds out in the rural areas.
In 2020, there were approximately 57.23 million people living in rural areas in the United States, compared to about 272.91 million people living in urban areas.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/985 ... lation-us/
And people wonder why the rural poor no longer vote for Democrats. Progressive policies would have a lot more traction if there was substantial focus on investing in access to quality education, healthcare, resources, and infrastructure in revitalizing rural communities that have been dying a slow death over the past decades. A lot of the same structural problems that plague the inner city also afflict rural America.

This kind of deficit thinking, not only from you, but what pervades American politics is what is so toxic to the discourse right now. The problem is we're all fighting for increasingly small scraps of a pie that a wealthy few own. Bezos, Buffet, and Bill Gates have about the same combined wealth as the entire bottom half of income earners in this country. This type of wealth distribution is more in line with what you would see in European aristocracies than what America had prior to the end of the 20th century.
I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 pm

How would you propose we break the cycle of ignorance? The stupid elect stupid school board members, stupid City officials, stupid sheriffs and next thing you know you end up with places like Coldwater, Imlay City, or Alpena.

They don't want more money for education. I agree there should be an opportunity to better everyone in America but they just like being paties to billionaires.

They will never end up being Progressive because the ministers would never allow it.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 pm
How would you propose we break the cycle of ignorance? The stupid elect stupid school board members, stupid City officials, stupid sheriffs and next thing you know you end up with places like Coldwater, Imlay City, or Alpena.

They don't want more money for education. I agree there should be an opportunity to better everyone in America but they just like being paties to billionaires.

They will never end up being Progressive because the ministers would never allow it.
I would argue that the politics of spite, division, and tribalism is counterproductive to legitimate pushes for progressive policy. You may win some elections and have some legislative victories here and there, but they're met with an incredible amount of resistance. Successful politics is about winning at the message game. Messages pontificated by think tanks in big cities and coastal regions are unlikely to resonate in rural communities because the needs in these communities are quite different.

One thing that Trump did really well was take his campaign tour to mostly small communities across the country during his campaign and during his presidency (as well as afterwards). He may have not met many people in these communities, but he at least showed up. The overwhelming majority of people everywhere are good, honest hardworking people that just want to make a decent and honorable living. We may have sharp differences in opinions shaped by are unique perspectives, and that's fine. But, I still believe there's plenty of common ground and goals - and that's what needs to be exploited - not just our differences. Contemporary politics and media machines cynically thrive off of fomenting divisions, and look at the sad state of affairs we are in now. We weren't always this divided - and there was certainly a time where I didn't even know political leanings of most of my friends and acquaintances. Today, you can pick up someone's politics with just a few signals.

TL;DR: We need to work with people, not against them. And we can still do that with honest conversations.
I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 am

TC Talks wrote:
I have family in Capac, which is next door to Imlay City pretty much. They had a gas station outside of "downtown" Capac that was owned by a couple Indian guys and a gas station owned right at the edge of town that was owned by an Arab family. Just from my experience of going into these places, people were openly hostile toward them, calling them terrorists and telling them to "go back" and saying they were stealing because they don't have to pay taxes like everyone else does. These were people who were presumably educated in Capac schools and surrounding schools. Eventually both closed and what is left in both locations is empty grassland now. It just seems that as far as these places go, the ignorance sorta pushes other people away. I used to like Imlay City, too! It's where I met my wife about 20 years ago! They turned the movie theatre there into a church. I am just happy they haven't touched the family restaurant outside of it. They have a decent Chinese food place in that plaza by I-69 though. Loved their egg drop soup! Lucky's is decent food, too, but you can get better anywhere down in the city.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 am
TC Talks wrote:
I have family in Capac, which is next door to Imlay City pretty much. They had a gas station outside of "downtown" Capac that was owned by a couple Indian guys and a gas station owned right at the edge of town that was owned by an Arab family. Just from my experience of going into these places, people were openly hostile toward them, calling them terrorists and telling them to "go back" and saying they were stealing because they don't have to pay taxes like everyone else does. These were people who were presumably educated in Capac schools and surrounding schools. Eventually both closed and what is left in both locations is empty grassland now. It just seems that as far as these places go, the ignorance sorta pushes other people away. I used to like Imlay City, too! It's where I met my wife about 20 years ago! They turned the movie theatre there into a church. I am just happy they haven't touched the family restaurant outside of it. They have a decent Chinese food place in that plaza by I-69 though. Loved their egg drop soup! Lucky's is decent food, too, but you can get better anywhere down in the city.
The only thing notable there is the car dealership. Go see Tonya tuh-day.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:12 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 am
TC Talks wrote:
The only thing notable there is the car dealership. Go see Tonya tuh-day.
No joke, try the Chinese food up there. I really dig their beef fried rice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic