Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

This Didn't Take Long...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: This Didn't Take Long...

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:39 am
Ask yourself this. If this monstrosity would actually pass, who would it most likely impact? Normal, law abiding citizens or violent criminals?

Look at reports of violent crime in our area. You will see story after story of people with prior felony convictions committing violent crimes and murder with a firearm. A person with a felony conviction is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Under federal law, the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is a Class D felony, punishable by up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, and $250,000 in fines. The Armed Career Criminal Act (ACCA), 18 U.S.C. 924(e), mandates a minimum 15-year term of imprisonment for any person convicted of Felon in Possession of a Firearm if the person has three prior state or federal convictions for violent felonies or serious drug offenses.

It would seem that there are a fair amount of violent criminals that don't follow the firearm laws we currently have on the books. What makes you think they will follow the laws laid out in this new bill?

This should be named the "Taking guns away from law abiding citizens so criminals can prey on you act."
Normal law abiding citizens may not be able to afford the 55 guns in their bunker but surely 1 or 2 they could and it’ll do the job just fine.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 am
Bryce wrote:
Ask yourself this. If this monstrosity would actually pass, who would it most likely impact? Normal, law abiding citizens or violent criminals?

Look at reports of violent crime in our area. You will see story after story of people with prior felony convictions committing violent crimes and murder with a firearm. A person with a felony conviction is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Under federal law, the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is a Class D felony, punishable by up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, and $250,000 in fines. The Armed Career Criminal Act (ACCA), 18 U.S.C. 924(e), mandates a minimum 15-year term of imprisonment for any person convicted of Felon in Possession of a Firearm if the person has three prior state or federal convictions for violent felonies or serious drug offenses.

It would seem that there are a fair amount of violent criminals that don't follow the firearm laws we currently have on the books. What makes you think they will follow the laws laid out in this new bill?

This should be named the "Taking guns away from law abiding citizens so criminals can prey on you act."
Normal law abiding citizens may not be able to afford the 55 guns in their bunker but surely 1 or 2 they could and it’ll do the job just fine.
But why should they have to pay and be put into a national registry when criminals won't?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:17 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 am
Bryce wrote:

But why should they have to pay and be put into a national registry when criminals won't?
Why should you pay for car insurance?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:22 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm
Driving is a licensed privilege. Gun ownership is a Constitutionally protected right. Big difference.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:23 pm

Rate This wrote:

I don't use a firearm in and around other firearm owners every day.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 pm

To those in this thread who support this legislation - just curious how you believe it would stand even a remote chance of passing Constitutional muster? The requirement for permission from the federal government to exercise one of your Constitutional rights? This law would be tossed so fast it would make your head spin, probably in a 9-0 decision.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:22 pm
Rate This wrote:
Driving is a licensed privilege. Gun ownership is a Constitutionally protected right. Big difference.
Spectacular point!

Didn't even know it was you with your new avatar. Great choice btw.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm

Yeah I've been posting in these parts for almost 20 years ( yikes! ) - figured it was finally time to choose an avatar. Wasn't sure how many people in here would even recognize the character.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm
Yeah I've been posting in these parts for almost 20 years ( yikes! ) - figured it was finally time to choose an avatar. Wasn't sure how many people in here would even recognize the character.
If you're not a Warner Bros. fan, you ain't shit. I was on the cusp when I chose a new avatar between Walter, which I am currently using, and Fog Horn Leg Horn. After the fuzzy feeling I got from yours, I may just switch.

Is it currently OK to say "Boy, I say boy?"

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:00 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:45 pm
In this thread, sure. Maybe not in the one immediately below it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:04 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:00 am
Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:45 pm
In this thread, sure. Maybe not in the one immediately below it.
"Undecided, I say Undecided' just doesn't have the same panache.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:05 am

You could go with a female quote instead, like "That woman’s as cold as a nudist on an iceberg."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:16 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:05 am
You could go with a female quote instead, like "That woman’s as cold as a nudist on an iceberg."
But what if that "woman" thinks she should have a penis? Would she be aware of the shrinkage effect of icebergs on penis's? Would she be OK with the phrase, "Cock's on the Rocks?" Would they ban the cartoon "Chilly Willy?' If they decided to be the woman they were born as, would they start a new city called Titsberg?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 am

You’re like a walking breathing “ink blot” test.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am

Bryce, you seem like a smart person. Is this an all or nothing thing? Should people on the street have access to a gun that shoot bullets that pierce flak jackets? There are a lot of resources to stop 17 yr olds from texting while driving or smoking or drinking. I see no efforts to keep 17 yr olds from carrying guns into schools and churches.

Does the legislation you mention above go too far? Certainly seems to based on your description. But the other option always seems to be all guns all the time. What is the happy medium? Or is there one?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic