Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan sign stealing scandal

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Motown322

Re: Michigan sign stealing scandal

Post by Motown322 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:49 pm

I think it's a dumb rule too... but it's still a rule. I just have a very hard time believing that Harbaugh is bumping into this guy on the sidelines 12 times a season and has no idea what he does or why he's there. A fanbase playing the "moral and ethical superiority" card all the time when there's always some shit swirling around this guy and his staff is funny though.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:49 pm
I think it's a dumb rule too... but it's still a rule. I just have a very hard time believing that Harbaugh is bumping into this guy on the sidelines 12 times a season and has no idea what he does or why he's there. A fanbase playing the "moral and ethical superiority" card all the time when there's always some shit swirling around this guy and his staff is funny though.
In Matt's blue world, Jimmy didn’t know the guy next to him translating the opponents signals and commanding a $100k/yr expense report, was stealing those signals. Bo didn’t know his football doctor to whom he threatened to send underachieving football players was actually sexually assaulting them. But Izzo and Dantonio definitely knew what the gymnastics trainer was up to.
The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:19 am

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 pm
Motown322 wrote:
In Matt's blue world, Jimmy didn’t know the guy next to him translating the opponents signals and commanding a $100k/yr expense report, was stealing those signals. Bo didn’t know his football doctor to whom he threatened to send underachieving football players was actually sexually assaulting them. But Izzo and Dantonio definitely knew what the gymnastics trainer was up to.
I think it's reasonable to assume that the skill set was recognized, but the method was not. Also, the cumulative outlay was probably about $10k on the high end, not $100k. Additionally, stealing signals is not illegal.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:29 am

I don't believe it's as major as the media is making it out to be in my opinion and it is an outdated rule to begin with. It's the NCAA picking on Jim Harbaugh for no reason but he will be going back to the NFL after the season is over.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:05 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:19 am
Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 pm
Motown322 wrote:
I think it's reasonable to assume that the skill set was recognized, but the method was not. Also, the cumulative outlay was probably about $10k on the high end, not $100k. Additionally, stealing signals is not illegal.
“Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited,” the NCAA rule book states.

Another NCAA rule reads, “Any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited.”

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:28 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:56 pm
This is bullshit. Michigan has 💯 NOT "consistently bent/broken the rules."
https://mwolverine.com/Scandals_Michigan.html

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:23 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:28 am
Matt wrote:
:rollin :rollin

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:40 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:05 am

Another NCAA rule reads, “Any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited.”
which rule is that?
I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:56 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:40 am
Honeyman wrote:

which rule is that?
The article only states, "From the 2023 NCAA rule book":

The 2023 NCAA football rule book addresses sign stealing in a general way under a section titled Prohibited Field Equipment. It states that “any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited.” No corresponding penalty is listed

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ncaa-i ... 14176.html

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:25 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:23 am
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:28 am
Matt wrote:
:rollin :rollin
What's so funny? That someone is such a loser that they've compiled a 1995 website on legal issues of players and former players dating back decades AND multiple sports?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:49 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:56 am
craig11152 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:40 am
Honeyman wrote:

which rule is that?
From the 2023 NCAA rule book:

The 2023 NCAA football rule book addresses sign stealing in a general way under a section titled Prohibited Field Equipment. It states that “any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited.” No corresponding penalty is listed

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ncaa-i ... 14176.html
That rule applies to a game being played live. It does not apply to the scouting of a team for future use. So it is NOT a second violation on top of the illegal scouting.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:36 pm

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/25/m ... en-signals

In a lengthy text exchange from 2021, Stalions boasted of sign-stealing and close relations with the Wolverines’ ‘whole staff.’ He said he envisioned leading Michigan football one day and to prepare was creating a hundreds-page-long document he called ‘the Michigan Manifesto.’

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:05 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:36 pm
https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/25/m ... en-signals

In a lengthy text exchange from 2021, Stalions boasted of sign-stealing and close relations with the Wolverines’ ‘whole staff.’ He said he envisioned leading Michigan football one day and to prepare was creating a hundreds-page-long document he called ‘the Michigan Manifesto.’
So the next quote says this:
It did not take Connor Stalions long into the text conversation to start boasting about his connections to the Michigan football team: “I’m close with the whole staff,” he wrote. Particularly, he said, he “became close with CP and Jay Harbs,” apparently referring to current linebackers coach Chris Partridge and running backs and assistant special teams coach Jay Harbaugh, who is the son of head coach Jim Harbaugh.
One MAJOR problem - Chris Partridge was at Ole Miss from 2020-2022.

All this does is suggest that you had a superfan going above and beyond to help the program. I'll also point out, ALL coaches who have said something publicly and have been named have said this isn't an issue. The only people whining are the anonymous B1G cowards, enabled by media members concerned with clicks. Meanwhile, Michigan has a gag order and can't respond.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:27 pm

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:44 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -evidence/

”You always want to be above reproach, especially when you’re good, because you don’t want people to come back and say, ‘They’re winning because they’re cheating.’ That’s always going to be a knee-jerk reaction in my experience, ever since I was a little kid. We want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules. Because if you don’t, if you cheat to win, then you’ve already lost, according to Bo Schembechler. And Bo Schembechler is about next to the word of God as you can get in my mind. It’s not the word of God, but it’s close.”

-- Jim Harbaugh

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic