Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Baseball Announcing Teams Ranked

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
thekman

Baseball Announcing Teams Ranked

Post by thekman » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:29 pm

SD45

Re: Baseball Announcing Teams Ranked

Post by SD45 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 pm

I don't have cable but it sounds like I'm not missing much.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:10 pm

Remember when that senile goon, Lynn Henning, said the Tigers PBP opening would attract a plethora of candidates with national name recognition?

Instead, the job was handed to the guy who was hosting the pre and post game studio shows from Southfield.

In fairness - I think Shepard does a decent job. It is the color analysts with whom he works that I dislike.

The Blue Jays and Mets do have phenomenal TV broadcast teams; I'm not the least bit surprised both finished in the top five.

I had no idea Hawk Harrelson wasn't doing White Sox games anymore.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:57 pm

Shepard has been making a lot more mistakes this year than I remember in previous seasons. Wrong number of outs, wrong player IDs, and so forth. Not a big deal - but consistently messing up the basics is not good.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

SD45

Post by SD45 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:36 am

Hawk went out to pasture a few years ago. Jason Benetti has done a nice job.
Last edited by SD45 on Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:02 pm

It's clear Chris Illitch is perfectly happy with mediocrity. He sees no need to spend a lot of money for quality when "good enough" will do. Applies on the field, the stadium, and apparently the broadcast booths as well.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:50 pm

I always preferred Mario Impemba as PXP. Rod Allen was never one of my favorites though.

Dan Shulman of the Jays is great as I've enjoyed his work on ESPN Radio. The Mets guys are fun to listen to. The Guardians have a better radio than TV announcer in Tom Hamilton. I think Benetti and Joe Davis will be the next generation of great announcers, with Davis taking over for both Vin and Joe Buck.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:12 pm

They might have also included the Fox Saturday night broadcasters—near the bottom of the list. Those guys often spend more time telling jokes and old stories than they do covering the game.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:10 pm
Remember when that senile goon, Lynn Henning, said the Tigers PBP opening would attract a plethora of candidates with national name recognition?

Instead, the job was handed to the guy who was hosting the pre and post game studio shows from Southfield.
The Tigers often seem to operate with a small town mentality, making emotional decisions like:
  • Giving Miguel Cabrera a career-long contract, instead of cutting him loose, like the much better-run St. Louis Cardinals had the courage to do with Albert Pujols.
  • In 2015, giving the GM job to loyal soldier Al Avila, instead of conducting a thorough search like they did with Scott Harris.
  • Employing Jim Price way beyond his expiration date.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:33 pm

I don't see the Tigers hiring a PXP with national name recognition as long as they're at the bottom of the standings. I'm actually not sure if they'd hire a PXP with national name recognition even if they were good.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:32 pm

I don't see why a big national name wouldn't want to be the TIgers broadcaster. You get to live in one of the coldest parts of the country, announce a bad, boring team and always be negatively compared to Harwell, Kaline and Kell! What's not to love??

There are worse broadcasters than the Tigers' current ones though. The Yankees of all teams probably have my least favorite broadcasters both on TV and radio.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:53 pm

Your either from Michigan or use Detroit as a stepping stone. Josh Lewin is a great example. He left ASAP for Texas.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 pm

It's interesting that the Yankees are such a storied franchise in all of pro sports and have some of the worst announcers on both fronts. The Mets have much better announcers on both radio and TV.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:14 pm

Have those meteorologists that some of you are complaining about in another thread be the announcers. Maybe weather is not their calling, but PxP might be.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:40 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 pm
It's interesting that the Yankees are such a storied franchise in all of pro sports and have some of the worst announcers on both fronts. The Mets have much better announcers on both radio and TV.
Yeah, most of the big market teams (Mets, Dodgers, both Chicago teams, Giants) have very good announcers fitting that. The Yankees have kept the awful team of Sterling and Waldman on the radio forever because they were favorites of George Steinbrenner, and the main TV guy Michael Kay serves as Baghdad Bob for the organization defending the GM and manager to the angry fanbase even though they haven't won a Series in 14 years, which for the Yankees is forever.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic