Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Was Joe Dumars a TERRIBLE GM that got lucky?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Was Joe Dumars a TERRIBLE GM that got lucky?

Post by Matt » Tue May 30, 2023 7:58 pm

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Was Joe Dumars a TERRIBLE GM that got lucky?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm

Great interview with multiple stunning revelations.

Kudos to 97.1.

Dumars is an ass. He leaked confidential info to Sports Illustrated, gave cash under the table to Rob Parker, and badmouthed his own team's fans when we booed Canada's national anthem (because Raptors fans were being obnoxious during pregame warmups).

I always thought Brown's exit from the Pistons was a travesty. The lapdogs on the Pistons beat apparently concealed the real reason Brown was let go - it was Dumars.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 31, 2023 8:05 am

Trading Chauncey Billups for a has-been version of Allen Iverson and replacing Flip Saunders with Michael Curry were two outrageously bad decisions by Dumars (in addition to drafting Dumbo - I mean Darko).

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:05 am

Great interview. Felt like I attended a master's class in basketball.

I was a little confused by Brown's racial allegations about NBA and ABA rosters in the 1960s, about ABA teams having more black players. I wondered if it was an impressionistic, politically correct kind of comment to help boost the reputation of the ABA. The ABA started in 1967-68. Here is a picture of the champions that year:

Here's a picture of the Boston team that won the NBA championship in 1967-1968:

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:03 pm

At this point in time with Pistons basketball, I couldn't care less if he was. Those seasons between 2002 and 2008 were awesome. Especially as a team that really shouldn't have done what they did. We're pushing 15 seasons of "mediocre at best" basketball. I wish someone in that organization would get lucky like that again.

And I'm not even looking at the Wob angle.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:28 am

I don't think it was "luck" trading star Grant Hill for Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins, or signing a then-underachieving Chauncey Billips, thus leading to a championship. Dumars' main failing was being compelled to spend cap money on subpar free agents merely because they were the only ones available.

I've always believed drafting Darko was a gamble worth taking at the time. Having to play Carmelo Anthony or Dwyane Wade as a rookie in place of Tayshaun Prince at the SF position would have upset the delicate on-court chemistry that led to a championship that season. Of course, long-term considerations weren't really an issue...at the time.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:52 pm

The videos of Darko from Europe where he played in a league with next to non-existent defense were enough to convince me he would be a terrible choice to take with the #2 overall pick.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm
Dumars is an ass. He leaked confidential info to Sports Illustrated, gave cash under the table to Rob Parker.
MW,
I’m not familiar with these stories. What confidential info did he leak to SI? What’s the story about paying Rob Parker?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:59 am

Rob Parker wrote some focacta book where Joe Dumars reportedly gave him $5,000 toward publishing costs.

Dumars was handed a fine of $500,000 from the NBA front office in 2010 for leaking confidential info to Adrian Wojnarowski.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/ ... /20535417/

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/12/ ... ojnarowski

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic