Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2023 NFL Draft

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: 2023 NFL Draft

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 03, 2023 8:08 pm

MichMash wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:16 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:03 am
Keep an eye on the UDFAs brought in, that's where the true hidden gems are found.
The Lions apparently signed UDFA QB Adrian Martinez, the former four-year starter at Nebraska who transferred to Kansas State as a fifth-year eligible. Good dual-threat QB at Nebraska. Interesting note in the PFR link below that Martinez can serve adequately as a scout-team QB who can mimic other running QBs (namely, Justin Fields) in practice.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/ ... with-lions
They also signed hard running RB Mohamed Ibrahim out of Minnesota with $100,000 guaranteed. I bet he makes the cut as well as Craig Reynolds.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:46 am
I'm not particularly happy with the selections the Lions made last night. They drafted the wrong guy at TE (the jackasses should've drafted Mayer) and gave up too much capital for Martin. I'm not that much of a fan of the Hooker pick, either. In my opinion, they should've used that pick for a guy who's actually going to see appreciable playing time this coming season, not a guy who may or may not be a QB of the future. I realize I'm in the minority in terms of holding that viewpoint.

The one pick from yesterday that I do really like is Branch.

Pivoting back to day one, PFF gave the Lions low scores for each of their two first round selections (although, an argument could be made PFF was too harsh on the grade for the #18 pick, especially since LB is a position where the Lions needed more talent):

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl ... ound-picks
I'd say the above post of mine has aged pretty well. :)

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:30 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:46 am
I'm not particularly happy with the selections the Lions made last night. They drafted the wrong guy at TE (the jackasses should've drafted Mayer) and gave up too much capital for Martin. I'm not that much of a fan of the Hooker pick, either. In my opinion, they should've used that pick for a guy who's actually going to see appreciable playing time this coming season, not a guy who may or may not be a QB of the future. I realize I'm in the minority in terms of holding that viewpoint.

The one pick from yesterday that I do really like is Branch.

Pivoting back to day one, PFF gave the Lions low scores for each of their two first round selections (although, an argument could be made PFF was too harsh on the grade for the #18 pick, especially since LB is a position where the Lions needed more talent):

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl ... ound-picks
I'd say the above post of mine has aged pretty well. :)
You nailed Branch, not so sure about LaPorta.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:18 am

You're right about that. LaPorta has contributed meaningfully; Michael Mayer selected 34th overall by the Raiders didn't do shit his first two games (other than maybe laying some blocks) Am unsure about last night (stats have not yet updated).

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:18 am
You're right about that. LaPorta has contributed meaningfully; Michael Mayer selected 34th overall by the Raiders didn't do shit his first two games (other than maybe laying some blocks) Am unsure about last night (stats have not yet updated).
In three games he has two targets with one reception for two yards. He caught a wide open two-point conversion last night.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic