Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dwane Casey replacements

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Dwane Casey replacements

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:55 pm

The Pistons will soon have a coaching vacancy, as you can't extend Casey after this season and there is only 1 year left on his deal. I'd kick the wheels on Beilein at least and give him another chance now that he's had some time with the franchise. I'm not sure there is another guy out there who would come to Detroit and definitely be successful.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Re: Dwane Casey replacements

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:55 pm
The Pistons will soon have a coaching vacancy, as you can't extend Casey after this season and there is only 1 year left on his deal. I'd kick the wheels on Beilein at least and give him another chance now that he's had some time with the franchise. I'm not sure there is another guy out there who would come to Detroit and definitely be successful.
He wouldn’t definitely be successful *cough* Cleveland *cough*… he might even be an utterly terrible choice.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 pm
Matt wrote:
He wouldn’t definitely be successful *cough* Cleveland *cough*… he might even be an utterly terrible choice.
Belichick also failed in cleveland.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
Maybe so… Beilein didn’t even finish a season…

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:38 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 pm
Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
Maybe so… Beilein didn’t even finish a season…
You learn and grow from past failures.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:15 am

It would've made great sense to give Beilein the reins on an interim basis had Dwane Casey been shitcanned midseason.

I think giving Beilein a multi-year deal on a permanent basis would be a bad idea given the fact he has no track record of successfully coaching at the NBA level. The Pistons should not have the time nor patience for an "experiment."

Quin Snyder is the guy the Pistons should've hired, but it's too late now. I mentioned his name months ago. He is the new head coach of the Atlanta Hawks. He signed a five-year contract on or about March 1. Very wise move by the Hawks!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/357 ... oach-hawks

I'd also keep an eye on Scott Brooks. He is currently Chauncey Billups' top assistant in Portland, and of course, Brooks is well known as being the former head coach of the OKC Thunder.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:26 am

Does the average NBA player want to listen to a 70-year-old man? They haven't a winning coach since Flip Saunders.

Mentioned as possible replacements included Charles Lee and Adrian Griffin.

Lee is the top assistant coach in Milwaukee. Hes younger and came to the Bucks with Budenholzer.

Griffin has been an assistant coach since 2008 with multiple teams. Hes currently with Toronto.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:26 pm

It's official.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm glad he resigned as head coach, but I don't want Dwane Casey in any role with the Pistons organization other than perhaps radio color commentator or usher.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:29 pm

LMAO @ the P.R. spin of Casey's move to the front office being a "promotion."

It's a lateral move at best.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:05 pm
I'm glad he resigned as head coach, but I don't want Dwane Casey in any role with the Pistons organization other than perhaps radio color commentator or usher.
I don't get why you hate the guy so much. Read Niyo's column for some additional perspective. The tl;dr is that he did what was asked of him.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 096803007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:51 am

Do what was asked of him??? I could've been head coach and they'd still be able to win at least 17 games! A lump of coal could've been named "head coach," and this team would've won at least 17 games.

I don't have any hate for him as a person, I just think he's a terrible head coach. His defensive schemas are garbage.

How much of a free pass should head coaches be given during a rebuild, in your opinion? Five years? Ten years?

Casey said he would give the Pistons a 60-win season when he was hired. Geez - he came up just a little bit short. In hindsight, it was very foolish of him to make such a proclamation.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:36 pm

Nick Nurse was fired by the Raptors. Could be in the mix for the Detroit job.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:20 am

How about nominating somebody from this board for the job? They could probably do it better than Casey.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 04, 2023 8:45 pm

Mike Budenholzer just became available. Milwaukee shitcanned him today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic