Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NCAA tournament

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: NCAA tournament

Post by Honeyman » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:20 pm
Duke never recovered from Tennessee's run at the end of the first half.

And with Purdue out of the way, I'm liking my chances of being alive going into the Elite 8. Need a TX win though.
I got Texas in the final too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nittanys get em tonight. They're playing real well.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:55 pm

....and..........another one bites the dust.

Insanity.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm

Two #1s out of the way, and #15 Princeton to the Sweet 16! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:25 pm

Texas sure had me sweating when Penn State went on their 10-point run!

thekman

Post by thekman » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:27 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:55 pm
....and..........another one bites the dust.

Insanity.
Madness

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:37 pm

My bracket busted as I had Purdue winning the National Championship. Congrats FDU on the upset of Purdue. America won today as Duke lost I had them in the elite 8.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:31 am

Can someone please help me understand how Kansas is in the West and Kansas State is in the East?

Why is Connecticut in the West and Miami (Fl) in the Midwest?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:31 am
Can someone please help me understand how Kansas is in the West and Kansas State is in the East?

It's the attempt to even out the presumed competitiveness among the four regionals. You'll note the highest seeds in each region are the most closely aligned with their natural geographic location, but even then it's not always spot on. If the theoretical four best teams in the nation were all on the east coast, they would presumably be separated as #1 seeds into each of the four regions for the sake of competitiveness. What determines "best" are factors such as team record and strength of schedule; there are both quantitative and qualitative measures.

It's the same these days with the individual conferences, but in that case it's mostly about media revenue and extended exposure, not what one would presume to be traditional geographic rivalries.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:54 pm

I think the best bet of the day today is UConn. Waaaaaay too athletic for St. Mary's. They're gonna run these white boys outta the gym.

But as far as the game of the day........

GO GREEN!!!

The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:37 pm

Houston is still in so I am alive. The rest of my bracket is toast. At this point, I am all about Houston.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:08 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:31 am

It's the attempt to even out the presumed competitiveness among the four regionals. You'll note the highest seeds in each region are the most closely aligned with their natural geographic location, but even then it's not always spot on. If the theoretical four best teams in the nation were all on the east coast, they would presumably be separated as #1 seeds into each of the four regions for the sake of competitiveness. What determines "best" are factors such as team record and strength of schedule; there are both quantitative and qualitative measures.

It's the same these days with the individual conferences, but in that case it's mostly about media revenue and extended exposure, not what one would presume to be traditional geographic rivalries.
How often does a team move?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:28 pm

I think Matt's prediction regarding MSU is going to prove to be spot on.

MSU is playing good basketball right now. They're on the verge of an impressive win over Marquette.
How often does a team move?
The geographic names are based on the sites of the regional final and little else.

For example, some of the opening round and round of 32 games for the South Region were played in Sacramento and Denver. The sweet 16 and regional final for the South Region will be played in Louisville this year.

The very best seeded teams are often placed in an opening round venue that is within driving distance from campus, but there is no guarantee of that occurring.

Years ago, all rounds within a certain region were played in the same part of the country, but the NCAA did away with that system a good 10 to 15 years ago.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:34 pm

Those back-to-back possession by MSU with about 2 minutes left where they got baskets deep into the shot clock were what broke this game open. Those were back-breakers.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:38 pm

I thought we were sunk when we couldn't hit a three to save our life. UH-UH! Great defense does it again!

GO GREEN!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by moldyoldie on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:41 pm

There were a lot of “my bads” but MSU pulled it off. I did pick them and was rooting for them.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic