Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2023

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Detroit Lions 2023

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:30 am

Time to kick off the new year by looking at a few free agency acquisitions the Lions made yesterday:

-CB Cameron Sutton from Pittsburgh
-RB David Montgomery from Chicago

I think the Sutton signing is great. I'm torn on the Montgomery one though since that means Williams is probably done in Detroit.

Gonna be fun to see what they do with their FOUR draft picks they have in the first 2 rounds. That's a lot of capital to work with.

moldyoldie

Re: Detroit Lions 2023

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:23 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:30 am
Time to kick off the new year by looking at a few free agency acquisitions the Lions made yesterday:

-CB Cameron Sutton from Pittsburgh
-RB David Montgomery from Chicago

I think the Sutton signing is great. I'm torn on the Montgomery one though since that means Williams is probably done in Detroit.

Gonna be fun to see what they do with their FOUR draft picks they have in the first 2 rounds. That's a lot of capital to work with.
Thanks, Beemer. :blink

Sutton, Montgomery, and CB Emmanuel Moseley are all great signings. Even though Moseley is coming off an ACL injury, he'll be on a short one-year prove-it contract much like DJ Chark last season. They also re-signed DLs Buggs and Cominsky. What this all means is that the Lions won't be forced or pressured into drafting for position; instead they can target certain high talent individual players regardless of position, or even trade down. Also interesting is that neither Charles Harris, Romeo Okwara, nor "Big V" Vaitai are cap casualties...so far as of this writing. Training camp and pre-season should be ultra-competitive, a good thing.

I'd still like them to re-sign Chark even though Jameson Williams is probably slated for a full-time role next season, or at least a much bigger role.

S DeShon Elliott proved his worth when he wasn't in there; it was the game Carolina had TWO hundred-yard rushers. With Tracy Walker coming back from an Achilles, our depth at safety is suspect.

I'd also like them to get some depth on the O-line; both Ragnow and Decker have bad feet and Vaitai has a bad back. The consensus seems to think Evan Brown is gonna be gone for a starting center role somewhere else.

All the above concerns may be addressed in the draft or at cut-down time.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:36 am

Charles Harris is back at a reduced price! While it may not make waves among Lions fans, it certainly shores up the edge position if he remains healthy. Imagine adding Wil Anderson or Tyree Wilson in the draft. :o

An overweight and out-of-shape Jalen Carter punking out at his Georgia pro day is a major red flag to me. Talent or no talent, and just like Thibodeaux last year, I can't believe Holmes and Campbell would touch this and introduce him into the team culture they're building here. This is irrespective of his legal quandary vis-a-vis his age and immaturity. We'll see how things develop.

Both Jamaal Williams and DeShon Elliott are gone and will be missed for what they brought.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:51 am

Lions sign S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson! One year, $8 million.

Hell yeah! :D

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:50 am

Veteran edge Romeo Okwara has taken a $9 million pay cut to stay with the Lions! :eek Talk about taking one for the team! :D It puts the team that much more under the cap. Holmes is working magic here, folks. DJ Chark is still available.

- Sydney J. Harris

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:58 am

Anybody who signs for just one year is a rental. See what does, and then offer him more in the next year.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:08 am

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:58 am
Anybody who signs for just one year is a rental. See what [he] does, and then offer him more in the next year.
It's why I don't think cornerback is off the board for the Lions in the first round, especially at #18.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:52 pm

"Big V" Vaitai (I can't pronounce, much less spell Halapoulivaati!) is another veteran coming off injury who has chosen to take a H*** pay cut in order to stay with the Lions, further strengthening the team's salary cap position. It's beginning to sound like a broken record, but Brad Holmes is masterfully positioning this team for prolonged success.

Also returning is ex-Lion linebacker and special teams stalwart Jalen Reeves-Maybin.

Still waiting on signing a veteran backup QB.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:23 am

Backup QB Nate Sudfield is back, but WR D.J. Chark is gone to Carolina. The Lions are still substantially under the cap. With all the signings and cap manipulation being done, it wouldn't shock me if the Lions actually do go QB at #6 in the draft, assuming "the guy" is there. At this point I see only TE and LB as being off the board at #6. Yes, RB Bijan Robinson is still a remote possibility as is T Peter Skoronski out of Northwestern.

I realize the RB position has become severely devalued in this modern day pass-happy NFL, but if Barry Sanders were coming out of college today, would he really be deemed a late first-rounder? :?: Hmmm....

- Sydney J. Harris

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:42 am

How about that quarterback from University of Michigan? Is he in the draft this year?

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:45 pm

Id rather have Goff than someone coming out of college. The Lions are finally drafting out of the top ten...its a good thing.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:58 am

paul8539 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:42 am
How about that quarterback from University of Michigan? Is he in the draft this year?
The answer is no.

All the shit I'm hearing about the Lions drafting a QB for the purpose of replacing Goff is utter fanblab. Any QB drafted by the Lions this year will be sitting for a year or two in lieu of injuries.
What's more, all the Lamar Jackson to Detroit talk makes me ill just thinking about it. :x

- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:03 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:58 am
What's more, all the Lamar Jackson to Detroit talk makes me ill just thinking about it. :x
This should quash that discussion:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/03/lio ... k-god.html
“Look, Lamar is a heck of a talent,” head coach Dan Campbell told reporters on Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. “Trying to defend that guy has been something else -- we played them two years ago. But, man, we got a quarterback.”

Then Campbell started laughing.

“So, I’m like, ‘we got a quarterback, and thank God we got one,’” Campbell continued. “So, we’re good. But, man, he’s a heck of a talent.”

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm

If the Lions can pick up a Hooker in the 2nd round they should.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ker-1.html

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:58 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm
If the Lions can pick up a Hooker in the 2nd round they should.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ker-1.html
If Hooker lasts to the second round, the Lions would most likely still have to trade up to get him...IMHO.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic