Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bravo to the Michigan Daily

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Bravo to the Michigan Daily

Post by Honeyman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:48 pm

They are working harder to keep the UM athletic department accountable far more than the Detroit news outlets, which are too busy waving their maize and blue pom poms to perform any sort of actual journalism.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/sp ... -failures/

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Re: Bravo to the Michigan Daily

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 pm

My daughter is an editor there. I will send her your kudos.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 pm
That's it?!? That's your only comment? Nothing on the substance of the article.

What about......
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:55 pm
The culture of that school, particularly in the sports department continues to amaze me. Their attitude seems like "Yeah it happened, so what".
Hypocritical fuck.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:09 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:22 pm
That's it?!? That's your only comment? Nothing on the substance of the article.

What about......
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:55 pm
The culture of that school, particularly in the sports department continues to amaze me. Their attitude seems like "Yeah it happened, so what".
Hypocritical fuck.
Well to begin with, this is one incident with one player versus years of issues that reach all the way to the President and Board of Regents over at Michigan State.

And having a handgun in possession is not quite the same as beating somebody up or sexually assaulting someone.
I know that Smith was in the process of getting his concealed carry license and the other facts of the case. I’m not here to say whether he is guilty or not.
And besides we're talking about the University of Michigan not Michigan State here. Michigan State's most recent actions were done as a result of being a bunch of sore losers directed at another team, quite possibly directed by coaching staff. The situation with Smith has nothing to do with his playing, and occurred outside his role as a football player. What might help the University of Michigan, as far as optics, is a clearer player conduct policy.

I know you're looking for a gotcha here but as someone who doesn't really give a shit about either program, Michigan State is for worse than the things I've seen go on at the University of Michigan. And State loses.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 am

Well to begin with, this is one incident with one player versus years of issues that reach all the way to the President and Board of Regents over at Michigan State.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 am

And we're back to the reality that I have no idea who this is or why this is relevant. Did this person sexually assault young women or physically assault players?

I don't really follow very many sports, so I can't respond to a vigorous debate on this topic. I can offer my opinion; I think that Michigan State has a corrupted moral compass and I'm glad that both of my kids steered clear of that school despite being accepted. Both are going to be much more successful humans as a result.

EDIT

Okay, thank you for helping me prove my point. There will always be bad actors in large institutions, but we judge those institutions by how they choose to respond. Let's see how those two situations turned out:

ANN ARBOR, MI - The University of Michigan has reached a $490-million settlement with more than 1,000 survivors of sexual abuse by the late UM athletics doctor Robert Anderson.

About $460 million will be split among the survivors, with an extra $30 million held in reserve to address future claims, said Parker Stinar, an attorney representing 200 of Anderson’s victims. Each accuser will see around $440,000 due to the settlement.
VS
John Engler, the interim president of Michigan State University, has drawn fire in recent days for saying in an interview that some of the women abused by Lawrence G. Nassar, a former faculty member and the ex-doctor for the United States national gymnastics team, appeared to be enjoying the spotlight.

The comments by Mr. Engler, 70, a former governor of Michigan who has been accused of antagonism toward Dr. Nassar’s hundreds of accusers, came during an interview with The Detroit News, which last Friday published an article based on the interview.

― Noam Chomsky

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 am
And we're back to the reality that I have no idea who this is or why this is relevant. Did this person sexually assault young women or physically assault players?

I don't really follow very many sports, so I can't respond to a vigorous debate on this topic. I can offer my opinion; I think that Michigan State has a corrupted moral compass and I'm glad that both of my kids steered clear of that school despite being accepted. Both are going to be much more successful humans as a result.
Yes, he was a doctor employed by Michigan for over three decades who sexually assaulted hundreds of athletes under the guise of medical treatment. Michigan knew about it, including Bo Schembechler, but allowed it to continue because said doctor rubber stamped injured athletes to return to competition. To show how serious the University takes the issue today, they continue to allow a statue of Bo to be prominently displayed as well as have a building named after him. Anything for the team, the team, the team.

But go ahead and tell us how the college to the north is morally corrupted.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am

TC Talks wrote:

EDIT

Okay, thank you for helping me prove my point. There will always be bad actors in large institutions, but we judge those institutions by how they choose to respond. Let's see how those two situations turned out:

ANN ARBOR, MI - The University of Michigan has reached a $490-million settlement with more than 1,000 survivors of sexual abuse by the late UM athletics doctor Robert Anderson.

About $460 million will be split among the survivors, with an extra $30 million held in reserve to address future claims, said Parker Stinar, an attorney representing 200 of Anderson’s victims. Each accuser will see around $440,000 due to the settlement.
VS
John Engler, the interim president of Michigan State University, has drawn fire in recent days for saying in an interview that some of the women abused by Lawrence G. Nassar, a former faculty member and the ex-doctor for the United States national gymnastics team, appeared to be enjoying the spotlight.

The comments by Mr. Engler, 70, a former governor of Michigan who has been accused of antagonism toward Dr. Nassar’s hundreds of accusers, came during an interview with The Detroit News, which last Friday published an article based on the interview.
And John Engler was forced out. The tributes to Bo are still there. A nice "F" you to any victims visiting campus.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:02 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 am
TC Talks wrote:

Yes, he was a doctor employed by Michigan for over three decades who sexually assaulted hundreds of athletes under the guise of medical treatment. Michigan knew about it, including Bo Schembechler, but allowed it to continue because said doctor rubber stamped injured athletes to return to competition. To show how serious the University takes the issue today, they continue to allow a statue of Bo to be prominently displayed as well as have a building named after him. Anything for the team, the team, the team.

But go ahead and tell us how the college to the north is morally corrupted.
Please see my comments above, the reason why I never heard much about the Anderson case is that the University of Michigan seems to have resolved it rather quickly without having to go through a drawn out court case and a lengthy battle for a settlement with Michigan State. I think we can look at how Bo ran his organization as the Nexus for Michigan to adopt better policies for issues like this. And I agree that Bo needs to be wiped clean from that school. But I present to you in modern times, Donato and Izzo. Tom izzo's comments last week illustrate that a culture like that is still prevalent in modern times not 30 years ago.

What cannot be defended under any circumstances is how the Board of Regents responded to the sexual assault of those gymnasts. Engler was removed but he had no business being appointed to begin with. He has been nothing but a pitbull and a short fat bully his entire career. The Board of Regents hired him because they wanted a fight. Just because he's extremely good at being a creepy little bastard can't discount the fact that that's sort of what they were looking for when they hired him.

Additionally, trying to compare Smith's gun possession charge with beating on your opponent after you just lost a football game is also dramatically different. If you can't understand the difference between physical violent crime and non-violent crime I think we've identified something you could spend some time taking a look at about yourself.

― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:39 pm

Bravo indeed! A student columnist expressing his opinion, especially if it's done like that, is one of the healthiest things about a entity like the Michigan Daily.

If he had any guts, Warde Manuel could send a reply to the kid and there should be a follow-up column.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Well stated.

I've respected the Michigan Daily's work for a long time.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:43 am

There's another thread started about Izzo being disgusted with Nassar. But I chose to say this here because Schembechler's name is being mentioned.
And this also goes back to what happened at Penn State and Paterno.
Couches and other staff are getting flack for not going to the press, or calling the police, that sort of thing.
And I can understand y'all wondering why school officials didn't start letting everyone know.

Here's the procedure that staff and coaches are expected to follow:

Someone at the school is designated as the person you inform. One person. That's it. Usually it's the Athletic Director. Sometimes a legal counsel.
For legal reasons, Staff is instructed not to take the steps I said in the third sentence. You tell the designee, and you park your gums.
One reason is the chance the accused is not guilty. Opens up the school for libel.
I'm confident if you could get your hands on any school's written directive regarding dealing with sexual abuse, it would say what just I'm saying.
And I'm sure everyone at the school has signed some sort of paper saying they will abide with it, or be subject to termination.
Not only in college, but even from elementary up. Or at any day care. Or church with a kid's program. Anywhere there are adults supervising kids.

I don't want to start a pissing contest about why the athletic director, or the designee, sat on it if they did.
I'm just saying don't fault the coaches.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:27 pm

What's this one all about?

https://www.michigandaily.com/volleybal ... re-firing/

Damn, it's tough to keep all these shady goings on at the UM athletic department straight.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:38 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:27 pm
What's this one all about?

https://www.michigandaily.com/volleybal ... re-firing/

Damn, it's tough to keep all these shady goings on at the UM athletic department straight.
I’m getting the feeling that Warde is a shady character…

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 pm

Manuel needs to be fired.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic