Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:11 am

I agree with many of those points. You're right on point #2; the incident occurred on a Friday morning. I originally thought it occurred on a Saturday. If he was traveling at 45 to 50 mph, that is still a reckless speed for that street (as you noted).

Regarding point #1, the way the magazines were being transported may have been problematic. I would like to hear from someone with more expertise on that question. Additionally, Shea (the defense atty) said one thing regarding whether or not the gun was cased. The detective who testified said something different, although it bears noting he was not the arresting officer.

Body cam footage, if it exists, would go a long way - potentially - in terms of showing what really occurred.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:44 pm

I've been texting a bit with my ex son in law who is a detective for WCSO. He is not overly familiar with this case because its city not county.
But he did say people getting arrested for some form of illegal firearm possession is very common. It happens several times a month in Washtenaw county.

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Anyone end up with injuries as a result of Smith's gun situation?

How about as a result of the MSU tunnel incident?

Trying to suggest it's apples to apples is wrong.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:53 pm

He pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge today:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 711048007/

The Detroit News has obtained the full police report.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 pm

Same thing happened with Emoni Bates.
The Washtenaw County prosecutor ran on what I would dub a "soft on crime" platform. No cash bail for anything but extreme violence, diversion programs, plea bargaining just about anything. It's who he is and Maizi didn't get any treatment he doesn't give to any other dirt bag who comes in front of him.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:05 pm

Does anyone know if a reporter has asked Harbaugh and/or Manuel if there was some kind of private rebuke of Smith's behavior? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Players break team rules all the time at every college in the country, and I'd guess that 99% of the time the public doesn't know anything about it, including any punishment or corrective behavior they might serve.

This is not to say that the Michigan athletic dept deserves a black eye on the way they've handled the Public relations part of this situation.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:32 pm

From the Athletic:
Mazi Smith, the Michigan defensive tackle arrested in October for transporting a handgun in his vehicle without a valid license, said he had completed training for his concealed-carry permit but had not turned in the certificate at the time of his traffic stop.

“It was funny, because I had my certificate and meant to turn it in a couple days before I got pulled over,” Smith said Wednesday at a Fiesta Bowl news conference in Scottsdale, Ariz. “I had to reschedule for Wednesday the week after. I was like four days away from turning in my paperwork.”

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:54 pm

He must not have retained a good portion of the knowledge he (should have) learned in CCW training.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:46 pm

:lol :lol.

"I have determined that I need to move on with my life. Therefore, I have decided to forgive the police officers who harassed me that October day, and will not be pressing criminal charges against them. Peace out."

The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic