Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

Post by Honeyman » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:43 am

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/colu ... 695665007/

Most can agree the MSU players who assaulted the U-M players should’ve been held accountable. And they were. One was charged with a felony. Six were charged with misdemeanors. Those seven, plus one more, missed four games.

This also means, however, that in the eyes of the law what Smith did three weeks before the tunnel incident was more serious than what six of MSU’s players did. And yet he is scheduled to suit up Saturday night.

It reeks, frankly. The lack of a suspension for one. Harbaughs’ indignant tone on Oct. 31 for another, when he knew his own player was facing a potential felony gun charge.

The censorship king from out of state.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:07 am

Honeyman wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:43 am
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/colu ... 695665007/

Most can agree the MSU players who assaulted the U-M players should’ve been held accountable. And they were. One was charged with a felony. Six were charged with misdemeanors. Those seven, plus one more, missed four games.

This also means, however, that in the eyes of the law what Smith did three weeks before the tunnel incident was more serious than what six of MSU’s players did. And yet he is scheduled to suit up Saturday night.

It reeks, frankly. The lack of a suspension for one. Harbaughs’ indignant tone on Oct. 31 for another, when he knew his own player was facing a potential felony gun charge.

You forgot to switch your screen name, Bryce 😂

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:28 pm

I'm definitely not a fan of Jim Hairball, but I think this is too complex of an issue to boil it down to UM vs MSU. No matter what happens with players/staff on either side, the other side always ends up butt hurt about unequal treatment, which is asinine.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:12 pm

"ANN ARBOR, MI - Mazi Smith had a magazine that held twice the standard number of bullets for a Glock 19 handgun when he was arrested in October, according to Ann Arbor court records.

Smith, a Wolverine defensive tackle, had two magazines holding 15 and 30 bullets in his pocket, while his handgun was loaded with 24 rounds when he was pulled over, according to a Nov. 30 hearing in Washtenaw County 14A-1 District Court.

The Oct. 7 police stop that led to Smith’s felony weapons charge on Dec. 1 was detailed by Det. Jon McDonagh’s sworn testimony to Washtenaw County Magistrate James Cameron, according to a transcript obtained by MLive/The Ann Arbor News.

In addition to finding ammunition, an Ann Arbor police officer pulled Smith over for approximately doubling the speed limit through a residential neighborhood, McDonagh told Cameron.

An officer observed Smith driving in a Dodge Ram around 9:34 a.m., Oct. 7 in the area around King George Boulevard and Lockridge Drive in the Bryant Pattengill East neighborhood of Ann Arbor, records show.

Smith was traveling through a 25 mph zone at more than 50 mph, McDonagh estimated. Smith was stopped at the King George and Eisenhower Parkway intersection, records show.

As the officer approached the car, Smith moved to put his Glock 19 handgun behind his seat, the records show. Smith quickly confirmed his name to the officer and admitted to owning the gun, records show.

Smith was asked to step out of the vehicle, which he did without resistance, records show. The officer found the 30-round magazine and a 15-round magazine in Smith’s pockets, records show, as well as the gun loaded with the 24-round magazine.

Cameron agreed these circumstances justified an arrest due to “probable cause,” records show, so Smith was handcuffed and taken to the Ann Arbor Police Department downtown. He was released later on Oct. 7 with a felony weapon charge pending review by the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office, according to a Dec. 1 Ann Arbor police news release.

The felony weapons charge was authorized by the prosecutor on Nov. 30, according to 15th District Court records. If convicted, Smith faces a punishment of up to five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

Smith was in the process of getting his concealed carry permit when he was pulled over, said his attorney John Shea in the Dec. 1 arraignment. Magistrate Elisha Fink said Smith could travel with the team to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship Game on Dec. 3 on a personal recognizance bond.

Smith will appear in for a probable cause conference in district court at 9 a.m., Dec. 8, court records show.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... -show.html

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm

"...had a magazine that held twice the standard number of bullets for a Glock 19 handgun..."

OMG!! OMG!!

SMDH. :rollin

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:19 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm
"...had a magazine that held twice the standard number of bullets for a Glock 19 handgun..."

OMG!! OMG!!

SMDH. :rollin
What purpose does that serve exactly?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:28 am

Based on this additional info, he should be suspended. I think the suspension should be served next season.

King George is a quiet residential side street that runs north-south between Packard and Eisenhower (it also extends south of Eisenhower). Stone School is just to the east and S. Industrial is a few blocks to the west.

I tremendously dislike the fact he was driving 50 mph at a time of day when children could've been playing nearby or bicyclists could've been out and about.

The fact he had so much ammo on his person concerns me, too. Unless he was headed to the shooting range (possible), there is no reason to be carrying that much ammo.

Smith is certainly a dumbfuck.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:28 am
Based on this additional info, he should be suspended. I think the suspension should be served next season.

King George is a quiet residential side street that runs north-south between Packard and Eisenhower (it also extends south of Eisenhower). Stone School is just to the east and S. Industrial is a few blocks to the west.

I tremendously dislike the fact he was driving 50 mph at a time of day when children could've been playing nearby or bicyclists could've been out and about.

The fact he had so much ammo on his person concerns me, too. Unless he was headed to the shooting range (possible), there is no reason to be carrying that much ammo.

I've actually only ever driven the section north of Eisenhower, and it would appear that the intersection in question is near the light, and it is possible that he was speeding up to make the light. You'll note that the story says the officer estimated the speed, suggesting he didn't have an actual read. We don't know what punishment Mazi served, but it is worth noting that there are other forms of punishment than being suspended, especially if Mazi was fully cooperative and shared exactly what happened. I'll acknowledge that optically, this looks bad, but the decision was made at the top.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:38 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:28 am

I've actually only ever driven the section north of Eisenhower, and it would appear that the intersection in question is near the light, and it is possible that he was speeding up to make the light. You'll note that the story says the officer estimated the speed, suggesting he didn't have an actual read. We don't know what punishment Mazi served, but it is worth noting that there are other forms of punishment than being suspended, especially if Mazi was fully cooperative and shared exactly what happened. I'll acknowledge that optically, this looks bad, but the decision was made at the top.
Dude… Michigan isn’t the second coming of Jesus’s kingdom on Earth. They CAN fuck up once in a while.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:45 am

I love the fucking excuses. MW thinks he should be suspended next season....despite the fact that he probably declares for the NFL draft after the playoff.

Matt thinks he was doing twice the speed limit in a residential area to "make the light". Surprised he didn't go with rushing to see his truck driving father before he left.

Mazi committed a felony and UM tried to cover it up. Those are facts that anyone without bias should be able to plainly see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:57 am

Matt is probably right; there is indeed a light at that intersection. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The gun was unloaded (contrary to the earlier article) and was encased, according to Smith's attorney in testimony made during the arraignment.

It is unclear if he had his driver's license on hand or not.

The Ann Arbor PD ought to release the full police report.

As for whether the university "covered this up," there are only certain details that can be divulged relative to matters of this nature. Obviously, if they had suspended Smith due to violation of team policy during the regular season, that would've introduced media attention. So in that respect, yes, you could say a cover up of sorts occurred.

I do think, now that we know further info, that a one game suspension in the regular season would've been appropriate.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 706478007/

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:57 am
Matt is probably right; there is indeed a light at that intersection. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The gun was unloaded (contrary to the earlier article) and was encased, according to Smith's attorney.

I agree 100% the police report should be released. Lawyers do tend to stretch the truth, or outright lie on occassion.

Don't AA cops have cameras?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:10 am

Great question. If the officer who responded did indeed have one, that footage should be released.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:20 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:57 am

The gun was unloaded (contrary to the earlier article) and was encased, according to Smith's attorney.

I agree 100% the police report should be released. Lawyers do tend to stretch the truth, or outright lie on occassion.

Don't AA cops have cameras?
What changed to make you believe what is on camera? When spartan thugs beat the hell out of McBurrows and Green, you were singing a different tune.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:41 am

A few thoughts based on various comments.
1. I doubt the gun was unloaded and encased or there wouldn't have been an arrest and charges.
2. Going that fast in a residential is completely unacceptable and should be treated harshly. But at 9:30 am kids should all be in school, not playing outside.
3. The number and size of magazines seems a bit over the top but not illegal in and of itself so shouldn't be over played. Of course people who want to overthrow the constitution vis-à-vis the 2nd amendment will go bonkers over it. (hyperbole)
4. In my opinion he should have been suspended for the Indiana game.
5. At this point Mazi has been charged with a felony. Not the same as "committed a felony" since he hasn't been convicted of one.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic