Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: UMs Mazi Smith facing felony weapons charge

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:31 pm

This looks really bad. Michigan cannot keep their own house in order.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:08 pm

Those who were punching and kicking a Michigan player while he was down deserved to be suspended. Your team's coach and A.D. apparently agree.

Now, do *all* the folks who were charged with misdemeanors actually deserve to be charged? That door is not necessarily open and shut as far as I'm concerned. I'll be the first to say prosecutorial discretion is sometimes abused.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Here's what is said in the Freep article:

The long delay in pressing a felony concealed weapon charge against star Michigan football player Mazi Smith was "wholly unremarkable," Washtenaw County Prosecutor Eli Savit told the Free Press.

The delay centered on Smith not being arrested at the scene when a gun was discovered during a traffic stop around 9 a.m. Oct. 7. If Ann Arbor Police had immediately arrested Smith, prosecutors would have had to make a decision on charges within 48 hours, Savit said. State law requires an arraignment within 48 hours of an arrest.

But apparently, he WAS arrested:

https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/stat ... tDHlqIBIrg

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 pm

MLive:

Savit clarified that if Smith was lodged in jail overnight, that is when the prosecutor’s office would be legally required to authorize charges within 48 hours, he said.

My thoughts:
Is it possible Smith received preferential treatment? Certainly.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 pm
MLive:

Savit clarified that if Smith was lodged in jail overnight, that is when the prosecutor’s office would be legally required to authorize charges within 48 hours, he said.

My thoughts:
Is it possible Smith received preferential treatment? Certainly.
:lol: :lol :lol: Ya' think?!?

https://twitter.com/elinsavit/status/15 ... Ucsq02lzgg

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:46 pm

I want to know if the recovered gun was registered to Smith or not.

It's not illegal to possess a handgun in a moving vehicle so long as the gun is legally yours and is encased properly.

I support concealed carry and strongly disagree with Savit's "leave your guns at home" quip. The guy probably would not have earned my vote.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:12 pm

"I don't think the dirty Jew, Eli Savit, should lose his job over this."---- Donovan Edwards

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 pm

I have to admit, that's sorta funny. 😁

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm

Most amusing of all this is the fact that Harbaugh was calling for charges and suspensions for MSU players, all the while knowing he was playing a guy he knew was facing felony charges.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:25 pm

He didn't know that. Charges were issued November 17.

If Smith is facing felony charges for a gun he legally owns simply for not having it encased properly in his own vehicle, then the law as written is moronic. Again, we don't know yet if he was the legal owner of the handgun in question.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:27 pm

He certainly knew what was going on right after it happened, and what charges he was potentially facing.
Last edited by Graham Wellington on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:29 pm

So, he has ESP vibes with the county prosecutor?

One crime involves intentionally committing bodily injury. The other involves a nanny state law in Michigan.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:32 pm

My much bigger beef with Harbaugh right now involves Blake Corum. His knee is so bad it now requires surgery??? I wonder if those couple snaps in the OSU game aggravated it.

I realize Corum likely was begging to get playing time in that game, but I cannot help but second guess the decision to allow him to take the field at all.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:32 pm
My much bigger beef with Harbaugh right now involves Blake Corum.
Why? How was Jim supposed to know Blake’s knee was that bad? You’re punishing Jim for the lack of diligence on the training staff’s inability to do their job?

I would say illegal carrying of a firearm is much more serious. Michigan is being an embarrassment to their fan base. Carrying around a gun illegally should be frowned upon in team rules, and it’s being unpunished. Not okay.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 pm

Why? How was Jim supposed to know Blake’s knee was that bad? You’re punishing Jim for the lack of diligence on the training staff’s inability to do their job.
How do you know the training staff screwed up?

It's possible they screwed up. It's also possible Harbaugh made a poor choice. Finally, it's possible the x-rays looked OK and Corum said "I want to play and I'm ready."

Going from no serious injury to now needing surgery seems like a quantum leap, though, given how little action he saw Saturday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic