Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MSU fined $100k by Big Ten, extends suspensions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
TC Talks

MSU fined $100k by Big Ten, extends suspensions

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:55 pm

The culture of that school, particularly in the sports department continues to amaze me. Their attitude seems like "Yeah it happened, so what".
The Big Ten has come down hard on Michigan State, issuing the university the largest fine the conference has ever handed out in wake of the postgame altercation at Michigan on Oct. 29.

In an announcement released on Monday afternoon, more than four weeks after the incident, the Big Ten revealed it had levied a $100,000 fine against Michigan State.

“The Big Ten Conference has a standard of excellence both academically and athletically that has been built over 127 years,” Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement. “Our standards require that our student-athletes, coaches and staff members represent the conference, and their member institutions, with the highest level of decorum and sportsmanship. We are taking disciplinary action and will continue to work with our member institutions to strengthen their gameday procedures and ensure our honored traditions.”
Look at how MSU responded to the fine:
A joint statement from Tucker and Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller read: "We accept the findings from the Big Ten Conference and are ready to move forward as a football program. We are committed to supporting our student-athletes and will continue to do so throughout this process."

A Michigan State football staff member was also involved in a separate sportsmanship incident after the game, which the Big Ten said was in violation of the conference's sportsmanship policy. That staff member, according to a source, is no longer with the program.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Re: MSU fined $100k by Big Ten

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:25 pm

Okay, how about this. Let the one hundred grand ride and drop the charges? Have them do some community services. I don't think two punches is needed where one is enough. One or the other.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Robert Faygo

Re: MSU fined $100k by Big Ten, extends suspensions

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Doesn't work that way Mega.

The conference and the prosecutor are both using what's within their sphere of control. The B1G can't assign community service / prosecute for alleged criminal behavior. The govt can't suspend players or fine the school they attend.

I was pleased to see that Michigan is being held responsible for the lack of security in the tunnel, at least in the form of the reprimand. Having mostly part time rent-a-cops in that particular environment is pure doing something on the cheap. It wasn't all that many years ago that it used to be only U-M cops, AA cops, Washtenaw Sheriff deputies, and MSP officers present in the tunnel. They've since outsourced most those posts to a contractor that employs minimum wage inexperienced mall cops.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:47 pm

A 12-game suspension is a slap on the wrist. The fine is being paid by the school not the players. My concern is that it's a slap on the wrist to Michigan State and the culture that coach created.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:54 pm

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:04 pm

Tom Izzo with his usual "the rape victim was asking for it" defense...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:07 pm

Fuck Tom "I hope they got the right guy" Izzo. It's "none of my business," yet he's opening his pie hole to spout off.

I do agree security was inadequate. There are some MSP troopers present inside the stadium but there either aren't enough of them or they aren't stationed properly.

The one MSP trooper who was nearby was clearly outnumbered. He should've tazed the helmet wielding scumbag.

I largely agree with TC Talks' remarks.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Heading to my point that Michigan State is morally bankrupt. Leanne Simmons now lives in Traverse City and I've had the unfortunate opportunity to conduct business with her. She is a complete piece of shit and will lie out of one side of her mouth just as quickly as the other side. She's quite chummy with Michael Moore. She really nurtured this type of behavior in my opinion.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:08 pm
Heading to my point that Michigan State is morally bankrupt. Leanne Simmons now lives in Traverse City and I've had the unfortunate opportunity to conduct business with her. She is a complete piece of shit and will lie out of one side of her mouth just as quickly as the other side. She's quite chummy with Michael Moore. She really nurtured this type of behavior in my opinion.

I think you mean Lou Anna Simon, but close enough.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:

I don't know, I have to put up with her BS on a private board she serves on. She is just all over the map as long as it serves her interests.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:17 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:15 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:

I don't know, I have to put up with her BS on a private board she serves on. She is just all over the map as long as it serves her interests.
Her first and then Engler ran cover for msu football and basketball.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm

I wondered who the heck "Leanne Simmons" was.

Maybe the UWM cult leader (Mat Ishiba) can stroke another $100,000 check to his alma mater to cover the fine.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:29 pm

Concerning that Izzo seems to be unable to discern the difference between what the Michigan athletic department did wrong with security (not criminal behavior under any definition) and what particular individuals did wrong in getting physical with other actual humans (alleged criminal behavior). I mean, he is a grown-up that should be able to identify such differences in culpability! A grown-up!

That someone stomping on painted grass with their feet is somehow comparable to hitting a person with a football helmet is truly stunning for someone of Izzo's obvious intelligence. Way to flush a lot of respect.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:31 pm

Sadly, I'm not terribly surprised that Izzo holds such a viewpoint.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:38 pm

Per Warde Manuel, the reprimand was for the thug who grabbed Mel Tucker from ABOVE the tunnel, not for failing to prevent Tuck's Thugs from acting like animals. That fan has been banned from events.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic