Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MSU President apologizes for spartan thug criminal assaults

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Re: MSU President apologizes for spartan thug criminal assaults

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:53 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:53 am
Did you call for Juwan Howard to be charged with a misdemeanor when he hit the Wisconsin coach? If not, why?
A playful light slap on the back of the head is not worthy of criminal charges. Cripes, kids in school or siblings get more physical than that on a daily basis.

That's what you viewed that as? A playful light slap? I invite you to review that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2rUPebF2o
Exactly. And according to Matt, Juwan, the head coach of the team, "let his emotions get the best of him". But a 21 year old MSU kid does it and he's "a thug".

And we're the ones looking at it thru slanted colored glasses.

The censorship king from out of state.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:38 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:30 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:26 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:23 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:58 am

You are calling for a football player to be charged with a felony and lose his scholarship for a fight. Meanwhile, a U of M coach does the same (yells "I'll fucking kill you!" to an opposing coach, and hits another) and you are good with business as usual for him.
Welcome back, Lucky.
We heard you the first time.
This is the same Lucky who always referred to you as Honey boo boo.
I don't think it's the same person. And I really could care less what anyone calls me on an internet message board.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:13 pm
I am not blaming Michigan for the incident. But its not enough for you to see that 8 kids have been suspended multiple games and MSU looks like shit publicly. Let's press assault charges! Put the kids in jail...they shoved a Wolvie after a football game. And if you think these guys just jumped some innocent Wolverine unprovoked, you are beyond ignorant. I am sure the player who was skipping into the tunnel said, "Good game guys, see you next year in EL!". Plenty of other players were all at midfield talking shit too. Go celebrate with your team and fans, you hadnt beaten us in over 3 years. Go sing that fucked song. Maybe bow in the direction of the rape enablers statue as a Muslim would do to Mecca.
If you actually bother to read my posts, I have never once said I think that anyone should go to jail over this. I've posted that I think the 6 misdemeanors should be plead down with a chance that those 6 get their records expunged and the punishments put in place by MSU were enough. I've also said the felony should be plead down and some community service would resolve it.

Of course the MSU players were provoked somehow. So? That's really the excuse you're going with?

In case you don't know ... and I'm thinking that you don't know ... here is a great summary on how the process of pressing charges actually works.

https://michiganprosecutor.org/victim-faq

In this incident, there were already police officers present. The investigation was going to happen with or without press conferences. If the police determined there was the probability of a crime having occurred, their job (they are required to do this ... and the video evidence released to the public gave them zero wiggle room to ignore it) is to report to the prosecutor the result of their investigation. Because this is not a civil thing, the alleged crimes are against Michigan codified law, it's the solely prosecutor's job to figure out if there will be charges or not. Again, there isn't much wiggle room here because of the video evidence.

If you are that prosecutor or the police, what decision do you make? If you decide to drop it all ... would you expect repercussions? Would there be grounds for someone to think you weren't doing your job properly after seeing the video?

None of this is easy.

But the Spartan-biased take that it's somehow wrong that charges have been filed ... is off the charts homerism and refusing to see the specific facts related directly to the actual situation at hand.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 pm

RF, I apologize for the confusion that when I quote you, I am really responding to yours and everybody else's comments as well. While I disagree with some of what you say, you've always tried to have an intelligent discussion sans vitriol, which is more than I can say for others, including myself.

I'll have more to say after the second half.....USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:09 pm

Okay, I'm back. Draws blow.....

Since you know the legalities better, 'splain this to me..we see two videos: one of the Michigan chump skipping into the locker room amongst a bunch of MSU guys and then the MSU guys beating up in the UM guy. But there’s clearly some middle section that’s missing.

There’s no way the MSU guys just spontaneously decided to start beating on this guy and common sense would tell you the UM guy holds at least some culpability here, but there’s no video evidence of it. So at least in the court of public opinion and maybe in the court of law, it looks like UM is completely innocent and MSU players are the big bad meanies. But we dont have the full picture of what actually happened. Did the UM guy spit on someone? Throw the first punch? We don't know....so why did the MSU guys "have to be charged"?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:09 pm
Okay, I'm back. Draws blow.....

Since you know the legalities better, 'splain this to me..we see two videos: one of the Michigan chump skipping into the locker room amongst a bunch of MSU guys and then the MSU guys beating up in the UM guy. But there’s clearly some middle section that’s missing.

There’s no way the MSU guys just spontaneously decided to start beating on this guy and common sense would tell you the UM guy holds at least some culpability here, but there’s no video evidence of it. So at least in the court of public opinion and maybe in the court of law, it looks like UM is completely innocent and MSU players are the big bad meanies. But we dont have the full picture of what actually happened. Did the UM guy spit on someone? Throw the first punch? We don't know....so why did the MSU guys "have to be charged"?
Common sense actually dictates that what we all saw is what happened. McBurrows had to get to the training room - there wasn't much time. Gemon Green wanted to get to see his dad. Your program is a thuggish program.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:09 pm
But we dont have the full picture of what actually happened. Did the UM guy spit on someone? Throw the first punch? We don't know....so why did the MSU guys "have to be charged"?
Like you, I can only guess. In addition to the video, you can bet that there were a number of eyewitness statements that were given by the security and police officers that were present. Those statements would provide a lot of clarity. But as in any criminal case, the public doesn't have a right to that info at this point in the process.

The answer to why did they have to be charged: Because after what seems like a loooong investigation relative to what happened, the prosecutor's office thinks they have the evidence to get a conviction as part of their job to hold violators of Michigan law accountable for their actions. Basically... because he said so (and not anyone else).

This incident is so high profile that I'm sure going forward with charges wasn't something that the Washtenaw Prosecutor decided in a vacuum or with flimsy evidence. Proceeding with charges when there isn't enough evidence to support them would (should) be career suicide - any wrongdoing will rightly be pounced on.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm
Common sense actually dictates that what we all saw is what happened. McBurrows had to get to the training room - there wasn't much time. Gemon Green wanted to get to see his dad. Your program is a thuggish program.
This makes Michigan fans look just a dumb as MSU fans. Neither of the Michigan players had to be in the tunnel. They wanted to be there. Big difference. McBurrows wasn't dying. Green's dad could have waited 10 minutes.

Of course it also doesn't matter if they needed or wanted to be there - the end result was the same.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:40 pm

How dare those Michigan players be in the tunnel at the same time!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 pm

You are calling for a football player to be charged with a felony and lose his scholarship for a fight.
For using a football helmet as a weapon on purpose to attempt to seriously injure a non-helmeted player? ABSOLUTELY; THAT IS 100% WHAT I'M RECOMMENDING.
Meanwhile, a U of M coach does the same (yells "I'll fucking kill you!" to an opposing coach, and hits another) and you are good with business as usual for him.
Right. A verbal threat in the heat of the moment and a light slap on the head are indeed the same thing as beating the shit out of someone with a football helmet with violent blows to the head and neck.

I've stated repeatedly that I would've been fine with Juwan Howard being fired over the slapping incident, so you don't even have your fucking facts straight.

What's interesting here is the MSU Administration - at least some of it - and coach Tucker appear to see things in much the same way the folks in Ann Arbor see it. It's only the MSU fanboys and some members of the MSU press corps who feel differently.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:53 pm

Honestly, I kinda wish Dantonio was still in charge when this shit happened. He wouldn't have immediately suspended all 8 kids, probably would have waited for the BT to make their "investigation". Wouldnt let a slimebag like Harbaugh total control of the narrative either.

That said, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and the camaraderie of Mibuzzboard, let me close my comments of the day with this.......

GO BUCKEYES!!!

:lol: Really hoping for a 4 TD blowout, but I'd almost rather it be a close game and Harbaugh blows it with one of his idiotic decisions, and the he'll sell his players out for it.
Last edited by Honeyman on Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:55 pm

"Light slap":

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... fans-react

Looks like misdemeanor assault to me.

The legal system will obviously play itself out with the MSU players. But don't be a hypocrite Michigan slappy and call for their heads while ignoring the skeletons in your own closet.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:55 pm
"Light slap":

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... fans-react

Looks like misdemeanor assault to me.

The legal system will obviously play itself out with the MSU players. But don't be a hypocrite Michigan slappy and call for their heads while ignoring the skeletons in your own closet.
Leaders and the best.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:40 pm
How dare those Michigan players be in the tunnel at the same time!
Its kind of asking for trouble especially the way the world is going now.

My first thought was "Why the hell are they in the tunnel at the same time in a rivalry game?" Then I realized it was a 90+ year old stadium design and decades old procedures.
Last edited by Rate This on Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:08 pm

I was extremely critical of how the Brendan Gibbons rape allegations were handled years ago (and rebuked local media for failing to report on the story), I called for the removal of Bo's statue, I supported the idea of Juwan Howard being fired, etc.

So, take your allegations of hypocrisy and shove 'em down your throat, Graham.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic