Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

U-M vs. MSU

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Re: U-M vs. MSU

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:03 pm

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:58 pm

I wonder if I'll get flamed for posting this. :lol:

Valenti today, the "There isn't any respect..." clip

https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/hos ... 4695019112

The censorship king from out of state.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:04 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:53 pm
Even after Faygos explanation, it still dumbfounds me why Green would be there at that time.
I respect that - these teams do so much as units, it probably seems bizarre if this isn't something you've never really cared about or paid attention to.

My point is that guys heading to the postgame locker room without the bulk of their teammates is not unusual behavior for college players, even in heated rivalry games. It's quite the opposite actually.

Green and McBurrows were not out of line of normal behavior by going to the locker room when they did. Their timing or being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not why things escalated.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:11 pm

Also, a lot of this shit stems from the inability to shut the fuck up and walk away. And now we play tit for tat. "Well YOUR guy called the special teams coach a vermin in 1869!". Shit shouldn't have happened. Period.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:04 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:53 pm
Even after Faygos explanation, it still dumbfounds me why Green would be there at that time.
I respect that - these teams do so much as units, it probably seems bizarre if this isn't something you've never really cared about or paid attention to.

My point is that guys heading to the locker room without the bulk of their teammates is not unusual behavior for college teams, even in heated rivalry games. It's quite the opposite actually.

Green and McBurrows were not out of line of normal behavior by going to the locker room when they did. Their timing or being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not why things escalated.
And that's my issue. If they knowingly placed themselves in what they had to know was "the wrong place at the wrong time" (your words), aren't they somewhat responsible? Why not celebrate with your team? Sing that stupid song? Carry Paul around? Why go to the opposing team and talk shit?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:47 pm

I won't even attempt to answer for why they chose to head to the locker room when they did.

I wholeheartedly and emphatically disagree that they have any responsibility for what happened to them by merely being present somewhere they had every right to be at that time. Countless players from opposing teams have managed to co-exist postgame for decades without this kind of blowup. I've seen that first hand.

Neither of us were there to see precisely what or who started the physical contact. The video we've seen is woefully unclear as to that. And truthfully, that's an irrelevant point now due to the escalation that happened that resulted in someone actually getting hurt. The shit really only got serious when someone decided to use a football helmet as a weapon. Clearly that choice is the most egregious in all of this and is why we are where we are.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:16 pm

I agree with this piece 100%

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/2022/ ... e-rivalry/
This weekend was a very hard one for many loyal fans of Michigan State athletics. As someone who went to school at Michigan State and has now covered Michigan State football and basketball since 2019, it has been sickening to see what I consider to be a special rivalry between Michigan State and Michigan devolve to the point of an actual physical altercation and multiple suspensions, with likely even more criminal charges and team dismissals incoming.

First of all, while there is a criminal investigation going on to fully bring to light the extent of the abhorrent, unacceptable behavior that occurred Saturday night, let us state very clearly that we condemn the actions of both the players on Michigan State who engaged in the incident that we have all now seen on video and also the players who stood idly by and allowed it to happen. It doesn’t take an actual verdict from a judge to let us know that was wrong, that can never happen, and it is an embarrassment to the program and the school where this took place. Some may have tried to take to social media to complain about Michigan players waiving goodbye and skipping to the locker room as some sort of twisted justification for an assault, I think that is another embarrassing course of action to try and justify what happened. There is no justification.

It is no secret that MSU fans, players, and alumni have, since the infamous ‘little brother’ quote from Mike Hart, felt a feeling of condescension and pretentiousness coming from their rivals in Ann Arbor. I have even seen some in the Michigan fanbase acknowledge and try to quell some of that in-house. But, when you act the way the Michigan State players did on Saturday, you become the little brother they said you were all along.

I think I have a little bit of a unique perspective on this rivalry because, in full disclosure, I did grow up as more of a Michigan fan up until I went to school at Michigan State. My parents still have a caricature of me from Disney I had done of me wearing a Michigan hat hanging in the room I stay in during the holidays. However, I also still always respected and appreciated MSU well before I went to school there. Heck, I remember getting a Charles Rogers Lions jersey for my birthday years ago, and I remember being a H*** fan of TJ Duckett. I remember actively rooting for Michigan State when they beat Florida to win the NCAA basketball championship and being so proud as a kid watching a school from my state win one. That type of fan seems extinct today, and that’s sad for me to see.

Like many things in our world today, it has been sad to see things become so polarized in this rivalry, a rivalry that should have a lot more respect and mutual admiration. I mean, how many states out there have two public colleges that are so formidable in both football and basketball? It’s really a special situation. Both Michigan and Michigan State have been to the College Football Playoff. Both programs have sent teams to the Final Four. That is special, and rare, and should be the focus of this rivalry, instead of silly antagonisms on social media, and definitely instead of actual physical altercations in a tunnel.

I think Mel Tucker said it best before this game, where he talked about every great rivalry being rooted in a foundation of respect. It wouldn’t be a big deal to win this game if both teams didn’t respect each other, and that’s what makes it so fun and prideful when you do win it. But if we let this rivalry be lost to aggression and violence, the state of Michigan could lose something that is very special.

I would like to see Mel Tucker and Jim Harbaugh find a way to use this horrible situation to build a bridge between the programs. In my opinion, repairing this rivalry should be Mel Tucker’s top priority as head coach since this happened under his watch. Maybe even next season, in the lead-up to the game, bring the teams and coaches together to teach each other the amazing history of both programs (they are both amazing and historic teams), and maybe we can find a way to leave this situation better than we entered it, and not let this ruin a rivalry that has brought many people joy and excitement over the years.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:22 pm

Great post, RF. I agree completely

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:57 pm

Wojo reported Gemon Green is almost always one of the first players to go into the tunnel post-game after home games.

Reason? He's eager to shower, get dressed, and greet his family after the game.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:48 am
I do suspect there will be procedural changes and tighter security moving forward.

Having one state police trooper stand there is evidently not sufficient. That guy was pretty useless.
It makes sense to look at procedures for sure, but as the 11 warriors article points out, the Penn State and Ohio State issues happened at half time. The spartan thugs assaulted Michigan players after they got their ass kicked. I've always been of the opinion that this game should NEVER be a night game, for a multitude of reasons.
I was never against Michigan VS Michigan State playing night games I'm guessing that 12PM or 3:30PM will be the time from now on I hope I'm wrong and that they will play a night game from time to time. I have heard that MSU doesn't want to play a night VS Michigan at Spartan Stadium I don't know if that is true or not just hearsay.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:10 pm

MasterB wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:48 am
I do suspect there will be procedural changes and tighter security moving forward.

Having one state police trooper stand there is evidently not sufficient. That guy was pretty useless.
It makes sense to look at procedures for sure, but as the 11 warriors article points out, the Penn State and Ohio State issues happened at half time. The spartan thugs assaulted Michigan players after they got their ass kicked. I've always been of the opinion that this game should NEVER be a night game, for a multitude of reasons.
I was never against Michigan VS Michigan State playing night games I'm guessing that 12PM or 3:30PM will be the time from now on I hope I'm wrong and that they will play a night game from time to time. I have heard that MSU doesn't want to play a night VS Michigan at Spartan Stadium I don't know if that is true or not just hearsay.
that is 100% true

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic