Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

U-M vs. MSU

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: U-M vs. MSU

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 pm

MSU’s abuse of the Michigan player in the tunnel is absolutely atrocious.

Also, Donovan Edwards had no business being in uniform.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:48 pm

From @byazuniga on Twitter:
Jim Harbaugh says of the postgame fight:

"Two of our players were assaulted. I saw the one video, it's 10-on-one. Pretty bad. I'm going to let our Athletic Director, Warde Manuel, address it with the authorities."
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:51 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 pm
MSU’s abuse of the Michigan player in the tunnel is absolutely atrocious.

Also, Donovan Edwards had no business being in uniform.
Donovan made a mistake on Twitter and it was handled quickly. To suggest he had no business being in uniform is ridiculous.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:21 am

MSU player will be suspended the rest of the season in my opinion for breaking the nose of the Michigan player you don't see police get into those types of fights kinda sounds that charges may be filed. PSU coach James Franklin had something to say about the tunnel at Michigan Stadium a few weeks ago something happened at halftime and I agree there needs to be a buffer so there isn't any punching or hitting before or after the game in my opinion. I know Jim blames Franklin and called him the ringleader of what happened in the tunnel a few weeks ago.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:52 am

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:22 am

Edwards' apology was good enough for me. Young kids sometimes have nutty views and nutty idols; he is somewhat of a fan of Louis Farrakhan, too, apparently.

Had he NOT apologized for the retweet or especially had he stated he agrees with Kanye West's views regarding the Jews, then maybe we could've talked about a suspension.

If it's true that a U-M player suffered injury as a result of MSU players' actions in the tunnel, the guilty player(s) absolutely should be suspended for the rest of the season, and they should also be charged with assault & battery.

Getting back to what occurred in the actual game, I liked Blake Corum's post game comments. To paraphrase, he said he was unhappy with the (in his view, inadequate) margin of victory, and in particular, his team's red zone production. He said he and his teammates need to get to work on improving touchdown percentages from the red zone. JJ McCarthy made similar remarks on Twitter. Both players were clearly unsatisfied with their team's production on offense last night.

I have a feeling the Wolverines are going to annihilate Rutgers next week.

Update - here are post-game comments from McCarthy:
“For sure. Any time you punt once in a game, you’re controlling time of possession, you’re moving the ball very well. We’ve just got to finish. It’s back-to-back weeks where we can’t put the ball in the end zone. That’s going to be a H*** improvement for us. That’s going to be a H*** focus going forward. And we’ve just got to get it done.”

McCarthy on the offense’s red-zone troubles:

“It’s multiple factors. Basic execution. There are so many things we have to unpack and unravel and really get into the film of really understanding why? Like why aren’t we getting in there. I don’t have any answers for that right now. It’s just all of the above. We’re going back to back weeks without finishing. This game shouldn’t have been as close as it was. It should have been a blowout. That’s all just based on our red zone.”
Source: MLive.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:58 am

Gotta love some of the Spartan Trash on Twitter who are claiming the helmet-less and partially bootless Michigan player, who possibly was leaving the trainer's room to simply head to the locker room, came "to look for a fight."

Also, Spartan Trash saying Michigan has no right to complain about what transpired because of "the shared tunnel."

Gee, the tunnel didn't seem to be an issue for NINE DECADES until last week when Penn State's inept head coach mentioned it.

In fairness, some decent MSU fans rightfully are calling for harsh punishment for those players who mob attacked the Michigan player when he was on the ground.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:29 pm

From Jim Comparoni • SpartanMag
Publisher
@JimComparoni

Ann Arbor, Mich. - I don’t know what happened from the time Michigan defensive back Ja’Den McBurrows was seen skipping into the tunnel after the game and the time when he was the target of pushes, punches and maybe even a kick as he was being thrown out of a doorway near the Michigan State locker room following Michigan’s 29-7 victory over Michigan State, Saturday night.

I can’t think of anything McBurrows could have said that would have deserved the punches and thuds that he took. I feel bad for him because he made the mistake of entering the tunnel without many teammates around him, and he made the second mistake of doing what Michigan players are known to do in that tunnel, and that’s gloat, taunt, provoke and disrespect.

We’ve seen Michigan State win this game 10 times in the last 15 years. All 10 times, Michigan State players rush to their own sideline to celebrate with teammates, grab the Paul Bunyan trophy and whoop it up with the band, fans and family.

The last two times we’ve seen Michigan win this game, they have turned their initial attention toward disrespecting the opponent.

This time, when the game ended, Michigan’s entire team ran to mid-field. Some celebrated amongst themselves. Most of them turned toward the Spartans and shouted, postured and taunted.

That’s just strange.

But that’s Harbaugh’s Michigan.

This has been brewing for several years. After the red rover storm trooper incident in 2018, and then Michigan’s mocking of Michigan State players on social media after the 2019 game, and incidents such as Mike Morris choking Kenneth Walker at the bottom of a pile late in last year’s game, there comes a time when Michigan State players just get sick of it.

Mel Tucker teaches the Nick Saban philosophy of trash talk: Don’t do it. I’m sure there are times when his players can’t help themselves, and they lash out a little bit. But it’s rare. And if they’re caught doing it, Tucker will give them a Sabanesque ass chewing.

Michigan players operate with no such leash when they play Michigan State. It’s clear that they are encouraged to jeer and taunt, at least in this game, every year, under Harbaugh. I don’t know how or why Harbaugh adopted this conduct. Bo Schembechler never would have approved of it, or running a reverse pass trick play when up 29-7 with 2:34 remaining.

Two days after Michigan’s victory over Michigan State in 2019, after a weekend of social media taunts by Wolverine players hurled at Spartans, unlike anything I’ve ever seen from players in a major American sport toward a beaten opponent, Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson said in an interview on WJR in Detroit that Michigan players “wanted to make it sting” for Michigan State players.

That’s all fine, well and good. That’s fair. I find it bad for the game, but it’s fair. But also know that it comes from the top. And it’s dangerous.

Patterson wouldn’t have said those things, and his teammates wouldn’t have Tweeted those Tweets, if they didn’t have approval from the top, and there wouldn’t have been Michigan team photographers and videographers on the field for the red rover storm trooper incident in 2018, unless they had approval from the top, from Jim Harbaugh.

The Michigan players wouldn’t have been mocking Michigan State’s players after this game, if that wasn’t the climate and conduct that Harbaugh wants.

After a minute or two of Michigan players jeering the Spartans as they headed toward the tunnel, about three quarters of the Michigan players jogged over to the student section to celebrate. Another couple dozen players remained, tightly pressed near the Michigan State players, continuing to hurl insults. McBurrows was among those players.

It had all of the elements of a potential post-game brawl, except for the fact that Tucker forbids trash talking. That’s why the Michigan State players kept walking. Most of them turned the other cheek. For awhile.

One or two Michigan State players turned and looked back at the Michigan players angrily, and pointed a finger or two. Michigan defensive lineman Rayshaun Benny, who once upon a time was a Michigan State commitment but changed his mind and pledged to Michigan on signing day, had to be restrained by teammates.

McCullers left his teammates and trotted ahead of many Michigan State players and into the tunnel. James Franklin’s favorite tunnel.

I turned to SpartanMag Associated Editor Paul Konyndyk as I watched this and said, “What are they doing? They look like they’re trying to start something. They don’t want to go celebrate with their teammates?”

No, they don’t. That’s not what they’re taught. That’s not what’s valued at Michigan, in this rivalry, these days. What’s valued, in the Michigan football building, is trying to “make it sting” when they play Michigan State.

McBurrows is a sophomore. It was his first time beating Michigan State. He probably didn’t know that players usually receive the Paul Bunyan Trophy on the field after this game and have some fun with it.

Video shows McBurrows bounding into the tunnel with glee, around those Michigan State players who had been taunted by his teammates.

I don’t know what he did after that. And whatever it was, the Michigan State players should have ignored it and gone to their locker room and dealt with their defeat by themselves.

Instead, you saw the fracas that erupted. The Michigan State players involved should be punished. Zion Young, Angelo Grose and Itayvion Brown, among others, probably shouldn’t play another down for Michigan State this season. I can’t think of any other video or circumstances that could arise that would absolve them. It was a sickening reaction.

And Harbaugh will lap up the public relations victory, playing the victim, playing the angel. What he needs to realize is he’s fostering this climate.

For the past three years, I’ve been saying that the Michigan vs. Michigan State rivalry was close to igniting the type of brawl that we saw at Clemson vs South Carolina game in 2004. That full-fledged, full-field fight was one of the worst moments in recent college football history. It made the Clemson-South Carolina rivalry look terrible. It made college football look terrible. I feared that the Michigan State-Michigan rivalry was headed down a similar path. I didn’t want that type of ugliness to stain this annual football holiday that we have enjoyed for so long.

I have told Konyndyk in the past, and mentioned on my podcast, that if the adults in the room didn’t rise up and take control of this rivalry, and change its course back toward one of decent, begrudging respect, then we as observers of the Michigan State vs Michigan rivalry would suffer the shock of watching what happened to Clemson-South Carolina come home to roost on our rivalry.

Mel Tucker is one such adult. Jim Harbaugh is not. He allowed this problem to fester, and it boiled further at midfield after this game. And then one of his players, McBurrows, carried out the Harbaugh doctrine too far, too long, and got caught all by himself.

Michigan and Michigan State players have hated each other for more than a century. But only recently has it turned this ugly. Harbaugh fanned the flames of this fire which burned out of control on Saturday. Not Tucker, not Mark Dantonio, not Will Gholston, not Lloyd Carr, not Brady Hoke. Jim Harbaugh’s condoning, championing and sponsoring of a “make it sting” attitude toward this rivalry caused the ripple effects that ended with McBurrows being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, presumably saying all the things that Harbaugh would want a victorious Michigan player to say when in the company of a beaten Spartan.

Harbaugh says he has a player with a broken nose due to this incident. That’s shameful. The guilty Michigan State players are a disgrace to the game. I’m not sure they should wear the Michigan State uniform again.

I feel bad for McBurrows, that it happened to him. But Harbaugh should feel worse. He could have stemmed the tide of this tsunami, but he encouraged the waves.

He’s the adult. He’s the leader. He failed.
The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:29 pm
Publisher
@JimComparoni

Ann Arbor, Mich. - I don’t know what happened from the time Michigan defensive back Ja’Den McBurrows was seen skipping into the tunnel after the game and the time when he was the target of pushes, punches and maybe even a kick as he was being thrown out of a doorway near the Michigan State locker room following Michigan’s 29-7 victory over Michigan State, Saturday night.

I can’t think of anything McBurrows could have said that would have deserved the punches and thuds that he took. I feel bad for him because he made the mistake of entering the tunnel without many teammates around him, and he made the second mistake of doing what Michigan players are known to do in that tunnel, and that’s gloat, taunt, provoke and disrespect.

We’ve seen Michigan State win this game 10 times in the last 15 years. All 10 times, Michigan State players rush to their own sideline to celebrate with teammates, grab the Paul Bunyan trophy and whoop it up with the band, fans and family.

The last two times we’ve seen Michigan win this game, they have turned their initial attention toward disrespecting the opponent.

This time, when the game ended, Michigan’s entire team ran to mid-field. Some celebrated amongst themselves. Most of them turned toward the Spartans and shouted, postured and taunted.

That’s just strange.

This has been brewing for several years. After the red rover storm trooper incident in 2018, and then Michigan’s mocking of Michigan State players on social media after the 2019 game, and incidents such as Mike Morris choking Kenneth Walker at the bottom of a pile late in last year’s game, there comes a time when Michigan State players just get sick of it.

Mel Tucker teaches the Nick Saban philosophy of trash talk: Don’t do it. I’m sure there are times when his players can’t help themselves, and they lash out a little bit. But it’s rare. And if they’re caught doing it, Tucker will give them a Sabanesque ass chewing.

Michigan players operate with no such leash when they play Michigan State. It’s clear that they are encouraged to jeer and taunt, at least in this game, every year, under Harbaugh. I don’t know how or why Harbaugh adopted this conduct. Bo Schembechler never would have approved of it, or running a reverse pass trick play when up 29-7 with 2:34 remaining.

Two days after Michigan’s victory over Michigan State in 2019, after a weekend of social media taunts by Wolverine players hurled at Spartans, unlike anything I’ve ever seen from players in a major American sport toward a beaten opponent, Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson said in an interview on WJR in Detroit that Michigan players “wanted to make it sting” for Michigan State players.

That’s all fine, well and good. That’s fair. I find it bad for the game, but it’s fair. But also know that it comes from the top. And it’s dangerous.

Patterson wouldn’t have said those things, and his teammates wouldn’t have Tweeted those Tweets, if they didn’t have approval from the top, and there wouldn’t have been Michigan team photographers and videographers on the field for the red rover storm trooper incident in 2018, unless they had approval from the top, from Jim Harbaugh.

The Michigan players wouldn’t have been mocking Michigan State’s players after this game, if that wasn’t the climate and conduct that Harbaugh wants.

After a minute or two of Michigan players jeering the Spartans as they headed toward the tunnel, about three quarters of the Michigan players jogged over to the student section to celebrate. Another couple dozen players remained, tightly pressed near the Michigan State players, continuing to hurl insults. McBurrows was among those players.

It had all of the elements of a potential post-game brawl, except for the fact that Tucker forbids trash talking. That’s why the Michigan State players kept walking. Most of them turned the other cheek. For awhile.

One or two Michigan State players turned and looked back at the Michigan players angrily, and pointed a finger or two. Michigan defensive lineman Rayshaun Benny, who once upon a time was a Michigan State commitment but changed his mind and pledged to Michigan on signing day, had to be restrained by teammates.

McCullers left his teammates and trotted ahead of many Michigan State players and into the tunnel. James Franklin’s favorite tunnel.

I turned to SpartanMag Associated Editor Paul Konyndyk as I watched this and said, “What are they doing? They look like they’re trying to start something. They don’t want to go celebrate with their teammates?”

No, they don’t. That’s not what they’re taught. That’s not what’s valued at Michigan, in this rivalry, these days. What’s valued, in the Michigan football building, is trying to “make it sting” when they play Michigan State.

McBurrows is a sophomore. It was his first time beating Michigan State. He probably didn’t know that players usually receive the Paul Bunyan Trophy on the field after this game and have some fun with it.

Video shows McBurrows bounding into the tunnel with glee, around those Michigan State players who had been taunted by his teammates.

I don’t know what he did after that. And whatever it was, the Michigan State players should have ignored it and gone to their locker room and dealt with their defeat by themselves.

Instead, you saw the fracas that erupted. The Michigan State players involved should be punished. Zion Young, Angelo Grose and Itayvion Brown, among others, probably shouldn’t play another down for Michigan State this season. I can’t think of any other video or circumstances that could arise that would absolve them. It was a sickening reaction.

And Harbaugh will lap up the public relations victory, playing the victim, playing the angel. What he needs to realize is he’s fostering this climate.

For the past three years, I’ve been saying that the Michigan vs. Michigan State rivalry was close to igniting the type of brawl that we saw at Clemson vs South Carolina game in 2004. That full-fledged, full-field fight was one of the worst moments in recent college football history. It made the Clemson-South Carolina rivalry look terrible. It made college football look terrible. I feared that the Michigan State-Michigan rivalry was headed down a similar path. I didn’t want that type of ugliness to stain this annual football holiday that we have enjoyed for so long.

I have told Konyndyk in the past, and mentioned on my podcast, that if the adults in the room didn’t rise up and take control of this rivalry, and change its course back toward one of decent, begrudging respect, then we as observers of the Michigan State vs Michigan rivalry would suffer the shock of watching what happened to Clemson-South Carolina come home to roost on our rivalry.

Mel Tucker is one such adult. Jim Harbaugh is not. He allowed this problem to fester, and it boiled further at midfield after this game. And then one of his players, McBurrows, carried out the Harbaugh doctrine too far, too long, and got caught all by himself.

Michigan and Michigan State players have hated each other for more than a century. But only recently has it turned this ugly. Harbaugh fanned the flames of this fire which burned out of control on Saturday. Not Tucker, not Mark Dantonio, not Will Gholston, not Lloyd Carr, not Brady Hoke. Jim Harbaugh’s condoning, championing and sponsoring of a “make it sting” attitude toward this rivalry caused the ripple effects that ended with McBurrows being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, presumably saying all the things that Harbaugh would want a victorious Michigan player to say when in the company of a beaten Spartan.

Harbaugh says he has a player with a broken nose due to this incident. That’s shameful. The guilty Michigan State players are a disgrace to the game. I’m not sure they should wear the Michigan State uniform again.

I feel bad for McBurrows, that it happened to him. But Harbaugh should feel worse. He could have stemmed the tide of this tsunami, but he encouraged the waves.

This is fucking embarrassing and you should feel bad for posting this.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:50 pm

Here's the second attack by spartan thugs on a Michigan player: https://twitter.com/THEREDRANGER3/statu ... SbpoUsAAAA

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:52 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:29 pm
Publisher
@JimComparoni

That’s just strange.

This is fucking embarrassing and you should feel bad for posting this.
Not at all. 100% correct.
The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:56 pm

This is beyond LL level trolling. Sparty assault charges comin'.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:00 pm

That has to be one of the most pathetic pieces of "journalism" I've ever read.

Blaming the opposite team's head coach for the actions of the other team's players? LMAO.

He discredits his entire article with his first two sentences alone. He doesn't know what happened in sentence one. But then goes on to assign blame because of gloating/taunting/etc. in sentence two. Which is it?
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:03 pm

At least the MSU president gets it.
“I’m extremely saddened by this incident and the unacceptable behavior depicted by members of our football program. On behalf of Michigan State, my heartfelt apology to the University of Michigan and the student athletes who were injured.

“There is no provocation that could justify the behavior we are seeing on the videos. Rivalries can be intense but should never be violent."
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:05 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:03 pm
At least the MSU president gets it.
“I’m extremely saddened by this incident and the unacceptable behavior depicted by members of our football program. On behalf of Michigan State, my heartfelt apology to the University of Michigan and the student athletes who were injured.

“There is no provocation that could justify the behavior we are seeing on the videos. Rivalries can be intense but should never be violent."
This is the guy their Board just forced out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic