Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Pistons 2022-23

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Pistons 2022-23

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:33 am

The Pistons have now lost 20 of their last 21 games (!!!). Last night, they lost by 26 points to a team that was 11 games below .500 entering the contest.

Notice how Tom Gores has seemingly gone into hiding?

Would also be nice if the lapdog losers in our local media would ask Troy Weaver a tough question or two or three.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Worst home record (9-32) in franchise history. Two more games to go.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:34 pm

Here's a good article as to why Troy Weaver sucks:

https://pistonpowered.com/2023/04/12/de ... umber/amp/

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:34 pm
Here's a good article as to why Troy Weaver sucks:

https://pistonpowered.com/2023/04/12/de ... umber/amp/
And what if we get Wembenyama? Tradin' Troy will be working the phones "big" time! I see both Wemby and Beef Stew as fours with the latter stepping into the five spot in a pinch depending on matchups.

I don't like the idea of playing Bagley and Wiseman together, it smacks too much of the failed Drummond/Monroe pairing a few years ago.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:08 am

Agreed on the last point 100 percent. Many feel the same way.
And what if we get Wembenyama? Tradin' Troy will be working the phones "big" time!
And what if we don't?

My prediction is San Antonio will wind up with the #1 overall pick. We usually get screwed.

Weaver likes to exchange puzzle pieces with no clear focus or objective. He also likes reclamation projects; we don't need any more of those.

Also, did the Pistons circulate a talking point memo to the local media to really talk up Cade Cunningham? Good lord. Some writers and TV sports people over the past week are acting as if he's the next coming of Steph Curry. Weren't the Pistons 3 - 9 when he was playing?

I'll close by saying I'm happy as heck that the Raptors lost last night. :8)

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:27 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:08 am
Agreed on the last point 100 percent. Many feel the same way.
And what if we get Wembenyama? Tradin' Troy will be working the phones "big" time!
And what if we don't?

My prediction is San Antonio will wind up with the #1 overall pick. We usually get screwed.

Weaver likes to exchange puzzle pieces with no clear focus or objective. He also likes reclamation projects; we don't need any more of those.

Also, did the Pistons circulate a talking point memo to the local media to really talk up Cade Cunningham? Good lord. Some writers and TV sports people over the past week are acting as if he's the next coming of Steph Curry. Weren't the Pistons 3 - 9 when he was playing?

I'll close by saying I'm happy as heck that the Raptors lost last night. :8)
Compared to where we ended up… 3-9 sounds like a good clip.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:41 am

.250 win percentage versus .207. Bleh.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:59 pm

One more thing about the Pistons. Mike Curtis of the Detroit News once again gave the Pistons grades on their development and not their performance. After all, only good intentions count, right? On the worst team in the league, and one of the worst in team history, the grades ranged from C to A. Talk about someone trying to cultivate access to the locker room.

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gal ... 657928002/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 pm

He is a total shill. His counterpart at the Freep is no better and handed out very similar grades.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Maybe the grades were earned...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Both shill columnists did not hand out a single D or F grade! I don't think anyone on that roster is deserving of a grade above B or perhaps B+.

Here are my grades for the roster:

Bagley: C- (a 6' 10" power forward with rotten blocking stats and too few boards. Decent player on offense when healthy.)

Bogdanovic: B- (solid offensive player, but needs to show a more consistent effort defensively)

Burks: B (respectable stats; should've been given more playing time when healthy)

Cunningham: Incomplete. Is he going to prove to be a cursed player?

Diallo: D+ (a swing man who plays SG or SF who can't hit a fucking 3-ball and can't hit a fucking free throw)

Duren: B (a rookie who has substantial upside)

Hayes: D+ (a crappy 37.7% FG percentage and a lousy 28% from 3-point range; plays a great game once in a while but his crappy games far outnumber his great ones. I do see potential here. Am holding out hope a better coach can unlock that potential on a more consistent basis.)

Ivey: B- (a decent rookie season, but he needs to get his turnovers under control and needs to improve his defensive game)

Joseph: C- (3.5 assists a game relative to an average 19.8 minutes of playing time is respectable, but his defensive effort is very lackluster for a veteran and 7 points average scoring is meh)

Livers: C (second round draft pick, otherwise his grade would be lower. Another guy who all too often is lazy on defense.)
McGruder: C+ (a good 3-point shooter who probably should've taken more shot attempts; so-so defender at best.)

Omoruyi: D (a crappy small forward who is a mediocre free throw shooter, lousy 3-point shooter, and contributes very little defensively.)

Stewart: D+ (a mostly low post player who only shoots 44% from the field, averages less than 1 block per game, averages only half a steal a game, and has zero mid range game. Was hoping to see much more progression from him this season; hopefully a different coaching staff will lead to a better outcome next season. Frankly, doesn't look discernibly better than his rookie year.)

Wiseman: C- (a clone of Bagley, essentially.)

Casey: D (although he was definitely saddled with a mediocre squad, his defensive schemas at teams were bizarre, and he was far too laissez faire in terms of correcting player errors in-game. You've got timeouts - USE THEM!!! A main value proposition element of his hire was reportedly his ability to develop young talent. Instead, Saddiq Bey turned in probably the worst season of his young career before being traded, Stewart had a ho-hum season, Cunningham got hurt - yet again - very early in the season, and Hayes had a lengthy stretch where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I just don't see any evidence as to how/where he's molding very young players into the best players they can be.)

Weaver: D+ (he should've fired Casey at the all-star break; I do still like the selection of Ivey and Duren in last summer's draft; I don't like the contract extension of Bogdanovic quite as much as I first did. I dislike the fact $12 million in cap space will be consumed on Wiseman next season. His grade would be an F if not for last summer's decent draft.)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 am

I read the Freep's grades as well and was flummoxed considering the team's record, but as soon as Cunningham went down it was clear that team expectations went with him. I tend to lean toward Mr. Metalhead's assessment and grades, but as with any school grades, I can understand grading based on development. Even then, the lack of team defense; i.e., half the game of basketball; deserves nothing better than an average C grade...at best.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:50 am

Let's all remember this team was 3-9 before Cunningham went down.

For the players on the team as a whole, even when taking youthfulness into account, my grade would probably be C-.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:59 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 am
I read the Freep's grades as well and was flummoxed considering the team's record, but as soon as Cunningham went down it was clear that team expectations went with him. I tend to lean toward Mr. Metalhead's assessment and grades, but as with any school grades, I can understand grading based on development. Even then, the lack of team defense; i.e., half the game of basketball; deserves nothing better than an average C grade...at best.
I didn't see the Free Press article, but defense was barely mentioned in the Detroit News article. Most players in the NBA can put up reasonable offensive stats, if they're given enough playing time, which happened with a lot of Pistons this season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic