Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP Major League Baseball (new stupid rules for next year)

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: RIP Major League Baseball (new stupid rules for next year)

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:35 am

Welcome to the new age of Short-Attention-Span Theater. :rolleyes

You two-bit techno-punks with your handheld shoot 'em up video games are ruining the Great American Pastime, the only one of the major team sports without a clock...until now. :rolleyes :rolleyes

I can abide the prohibition of infield shifts, though I've always espoused "Learn to hit 'em where they ain't." However, limiting throws to first base to check a speedy baserunner will only allow that runner to ultimately take an extra step or two on his leadoff, thus greatly limiting a catcher's ability to throw him out. It was so perfect the way it is! We may see catchers throwing a lot of pickoff attempts to first after the pitch once a pitcher's allotted throws run out. Damn, I'm gonna have to entirely rethink the way I watch a game. :x

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:35 am

You two-bit techno-punks with your handheld shoot 'em up video games are ruining the Great American Pastime, the only one of the major team sports without a clock...until now. :rolleyes :rolleyes

I can abide the prohibition of infield shifts, though I've always espoused "Learn to hit 'em where they ain't." However, limiting throws to first base to check a speedy baserunner will only allow that runner to ultimately take an extra step or two on his leadoff, thus greatly limiting a catcher's ability to throw him out. It was so perfect the way it is! We may see catchers throwing a lot of pickoff attempts to first after the pitch once a pitcher's allotted throws run out. Damn, I'm gonna have to entirely rethink the way I watch a game. :x
It makes you wonder who the main marketing focus is—18-35 year olds? 18-45 year olds? I passed those age ranges long ago, so I'm guessing that my opinion doesn't matter anymore.

For example, baseball started using the wild card 27 years ago in 1995. That's always been the reality for most baseball fans under 35. With the addition of more wild card teams this year, and a World Series that will end in November, the baseball postseason is becoming more and more like the long postseasons in hockey and basketball. For the under 35 fans, the long baseball postseason is probably no big deal, but for many older fans, who are used to baseball ending in mid to late October, it's too much.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 am
moldyoldie wrote:

It makes you wonder who the main marketing focus is—18-35 year olds? 18-45 year olds? I passed those age ranges long ago, so I'm guessing that my opinion doesn't matter anymore.

For example, baseball started using the wild card 27 years ago in 1995. That's always been the reality for most baseball fans under 35. With the addition of more wild card teams this year, and a World Series that will end in November, the baseball postseason is becoming more and more like the long postseasons in hockey and basketball. For the under 35 fans, the long baseball postseason is probably no big deal, but for many older fans, who are used to baseball ending in mid to late October, it's too much.
I would argue it increases competitiveness. To be honest the same 5 teams there every year is boring. Waiting on baited breath for the guy to throw a pitch already after throwing to 1st 14 times in a row is not “fun” it is tedious. Same thing for taking 2 minutes between pitches because the pitcher or batter keep stopping and resetting. I like the game but there are some things about it that are irritating. Then we play 17 innings? Good god… a 7pm game can be over at 2am in extreme cases. Somebody somewhere probably loses money at some point on that kind of deal.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:14 pm

I think the pitch clock could have been done in a way less obtrusive matter. I say install the pitch clock, but leave it off by default. If a team at any point during a game feels that the pitcher is going too slowly, then they can request the clock, and the umpire makes a discretionary call on whether or not to activate the clock. If he does, then the clock stays on for the remainder of that pitcher's time on the mound.

As to playoffs, I think somewhere around 1/3 of a sports league making the playoffs is good.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:44 am

moldyoldie wrote:

Said fans are then going to bitch about that digital clock behind the plate. Or maybe that's just me. They ruined the game I love for some idiots who only tune in for 10 minutes during the World Series.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:47 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 am
moldyoldie wrote:

The wild card does not fundamentally change the way every play is like the pitch clock. Even the shift rule, I could deal with after awhile. But baseball is all about timing. And unless you have pitched, you wouldn't understand.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:06 am

The defensive shift is part of baseball. If the infielders shift over to where the 3rd baseman is in the shortstop position, then the batter just has to put a hard bunt down the 3rd base line.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:46 am

This year's changes have resulted in a National League Championship Series with two teams that finished an average of 18 games out of first place. That doesn't seem right.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:00 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:46 am
This year's changes have resulted in a National League Championship Series with two teams that finished an average of 18 games out of first place. That doesn't seem right.
Why? Doyers and Braves had the chance to set their pitching rotations and had a home field advantage. Sometimes a hot team wins a series. The AL had Houston advance in a sweep and NY and Cleveland, both division winners, headed to a game 5.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:52 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:00 am
Bobbert wrote:
Why? [Dodgers] and Braves had the chance to set their pitching rotations and had a home field advantage. Sometimes a hot team wins a series. The AL had Houston advance in a sweep and NY and Cleveland, both division winners, headed to a game 5.
I've expounded on my reasons here ad nauseam as to why I'm against any playoff format that cheapens the importance of the long regular season, and I won't do so now. But I agree with Bobbert, this year's playoff results just seem plain wrong and counter to the integrity of the game. Already, three of the four teams with 100-plus regular season wins are eliminated....it just ain't right!

If there are to be three divisions in each league, I've long advocated a playoff format with three division winners and one wildcard -- that's four playoff teams from each league. In case of a tie within a division, that would itself determine the wildcard unless the teams' records were worse than another team in another division, in which case there'd be a game #163 in the division with a tie. There'd be a total of two best-of-five series in each league with a best-of-seven World Series. Add in a few regularly scheduled double-headers during the regular season and the season would be over and done with by mid-October...as it should be!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:57 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:52 am
Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:00 am
Bobbert wrote:
Why? [Dodgers] and Braves had the chance to set their pitching rotations and had a home field advantage. Sometimes a hot team wins a series. The AL had Houston advance in a sweep and NY and Cleveland, both division winners, headed to a game 5.
I've expounded on my reasons here ad nauseam as to why I'm against any playoff format that cheapens the importance of the long regular season, and I won't do so now. But I agree with Bobbert, this year's playoff results just seem plain wrong and counter to the integrity of the game. Already, three of the four teams with 100-plus regular season wins are eliminated....it just ain't right!

If there are to be three divisions in each league, I've long advocated a playoff format with three division winners and one wildcard -- that's four playoff teams from each league. In case of a tie within a division, that would itself determine the wildcard unless the teams' records were worse than another team in another division, in which case there'd be a game #163 in the division with a tie. There'd be a total of two best-of-five series in each league with a best-of-seven World Series. Add in a few regularly scheduled double-headers during the regular season and the season would be over and done with by mid-October...as it should be!
I've never liked the wild card in any form, but at least with one wild card, the second best team in the league was assured of a playoff spot.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:31 pm

I vote for the same format basketball and hockey use and take it out of the large number of regular season games you only pay attention to AFTER the all star break if your team is even relevant by then. 162 Games is just too many. If they cut it shorter and have 8 teams from each league in 3 rounds of best of 7… that would be interesting and it would end sooner. So 30-40 days of playoff baseball.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:31 pm
I vote for the same format basketball and hockey use and take it out of the large number of regular season games you only pay attention to AFTER the all star break if your team is even relevant by then. 162 Games is just too many. If they cut it shorter and have 8 teams from each league in 3 rounds of best of 7… that would be interesting and it would end sooner. So 30-40 days of playoff baseball.
You might as well write-off the entire regular season record book! Every regular season record subsequent to your scheme would be appended with an asterisk. :evil:

- Sydney J. Harris

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:49 pm
Rate This wrote:
You might as well write-off the entire regular season record book! Every regular season record subsequent to your scheme would be appended with an asterisk. :evil:
Why would you need to do that? There’s nothing sacred about being 81-81 or 100-62. Or 43-119 for that matter.

Should tackles in football only count for half because they wear helmets and pads?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:49 pm
Rate This wrote:
Why would you need to do that? There’s nothing sacred about being 81-81 or 100-62. Or 43-119 for that matter.

Should tackles in football only count for half because they wear helmets and pads?
I was thinking more along the lines of individual records -- Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, Ty Cobb, Pete Rose, etc. -- but yes, even team records are "sacred" to those of us who cherish the long tradition of the Great American Pastime. Even when the regular season went from 156 to 162 games, I'm sure there was a tinge of rueful regret among like-minded fans.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic