Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Lions 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Lions 2022

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:51 am

A caller to today's show laid a lot of blame at Chris Spielman's feet. Blamed him, as having no previous managerial experience, for his role in hiring the inexperienced Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes, as well as hiring a coach before hiring a GM, which is the reverse of how it's usually done in the NFL. The hosts were not quick to support that, as they claim no one knows how much influence Spielman had in those decisions.
What a COP OUT by the spineless hosts, who were raving about Spielman's "contacts in the league" and painted him as having significant influence in the hire of both men at the time those hires were announced (certainly Stoney gave remarks to that effect at the time).

I completely agree with the caller, and during the same time many of 97.1's hosts were heaping praise on Spielman and Rod Wood for hiring Holmes, I questioned the quality of the hire given how far removed Holmes was from the GM post when he was in L.A.

I will say I did not dislike the hire of Campbell until I heard his first press conference where he offered the "breaking kneecaps" quip. Once I heard that presser, I thought holy crap - this guy has some screws loose. I've actually come to like his personality since then. As a coach, he needs to produce a significantly better W-L record this season than last season. If he fails to do that, he should be shown the door, in my opinion. If he can manage to win at least six games, he should be retained for one more year.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:33 am

I will continue to place blame on the one constant that has existed for the entirety of the Lions' 60 years of suck: Ford ownership. 1 playoff victory in 60 years of ownership. There really aren't words to adequately describe how pathetic that number is for the human brain to comprehend. The next worst team that has been around as long as the Lions is Arizona at 6 wins.

Also noteworthy is that they have a mere 3 division titles during the Ford reign with the last one going back to 1993. They have been in a division with only 4 teams in it for 20 years now, and they have yet to win the division.

Number of NFC North Division titles since 2002 division re-alignment:
12 Green Bay
4 Chicago
4 Minnesota
0 Detroit

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:05 am

I was surprised to hear Campbell say that thing about "hitting bottom, no way to go but up" in one of the past pressers.

Doesn't he know this team went 0-19 not all that long ago??

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:00 pm

Too bad Robert Saleh didn't want to coach here. Jets are looking pretty good so far this year.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:00 pm
Too bad Robert Saleh didn't want to coach here. Jets are looking pretty good so far this year.
Saleh, a defense guy, has a defense to work with.

In other news, Matt Stafford just threw another pick-6! He's NOT looking pretty good so far this year..

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Sort of off topic, but Idk how much more I can listen to 97.1 outside of Valenti and his Michigan whinefest. These guys would suck a fart out of the home teams asses. Every move is celebrated, every decision is lauded, any mistake is overlooked. I've thought this way about K&A for a while, but how I missed it (maybe on purpose) is beyond me. Say what you will about Mike and Rico, but I don't wanna sit there and keep hearing excuses made for these clowns.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:30 am

In other Lions news, they did NOT play today!!

format this

Post by format this » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:02 pm

matt1 wrote:In other Lions news, they did NOT play today!!
Wanna bet? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:41 pm

format this wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:02 pm
matt1 wrote:In other Lions news, they did NOT play today!!
Wanna bet? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, duh.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 am

Perhaps the Lions don't know how to "coach up" the guys they have.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:23 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 am
Perhaps the Lions don't know how to "coach up" the guys they have.
There are a lot of variables here. The Lions defense should be getting Cominsky and Paschal back on the D-line this week, a major boost, especially with the former. It may free up Hutchinson a bit. Speaking of whom, I've yet to see any pass rush moves out of him other than a most ineffective bull rush. Didn't he learn anything at UM? If anyone needs coaching up it's him!

On the other hand, I have no idea what's wrong Oruwariye at CB -- if it's injury, scheme or what. He was benched at New England and had no less than six penalties against Seattle! We may see the defensive backfield playing more zone and less man-to-man; i.e. "bend over and don't break". They've looked absolutely lost back there without Tracy Walker.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:41 am

I agree; Hutchinson's performance the last few games has been disappointing (hardly the only one, of course).

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:58 pm

Looks like Hutchinson was coached up a bit over the bye, he's showing a good spin move with a couple sacks so far.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:14 pm

I don't f---ckin' BELIEVE IT! >:

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:38 pm

Four turnovers, lousy calls and non-calls, I need a timeout.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic