Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Red Wings move on from Blashill

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Red Wings move on from Blashill

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:19 am

This is a placeholder thread, but it seems inevitable that Blashill will not have his expired contract renewed. In prior years, it was clear that there was a talent disparity that any coach would have struggled with, and that was a product of Ken Holland's mismanagement. This year, the team was solid enough that it should have challenged for a playoff spot and that didn't happen. While I wouldn't be opposed to his return if Stevie thinks he can get the job done, I just don't see that he's earned a longer extension than a year or two.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Red Wings move on from Blashill

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 pm

He's gone; it is official. I would've gone ape shit crazy if Yzerman offered him another extension.

His exit should have happened a year ago when Gerard Gallant was available. Wings totally fucked over themselves and their fans by not hiring Gallant.

Blashill was the second longest single team tenured coach in the NHL, which was absurd given the fact he accomplished jack shit at the NHL level.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 595719002/

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:51 pm

My, my, my, what short memories we have.

Recall the shitstorm going on when Blash was hired as the lowest paid NHL head coach. Boobcock declaring he was staying in Detroit for a long time. Then, two weeks later, boom, he’s off to Toronto.

I’m not giving Blash a free pass. The Wings had as much a hand in that debacle.

I still don’t think Blash is the entire problem with the team, but he lost the players at some point. They aren’t excited to play for him. I still think the Wings have big goaltender and defense issues.

Is Paul Maurice packing his bags?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 pm
He's gone; it is official. I would've gone ape shit crazy if Yzerman offered him another extension.

His exit should have happened a year ago when Gerard Gallant was available. Wings totally fucked over themselves and their fans by not hiring Gallant.

Blashill was the second longest single team tenured coach in the NHL, which was absurd given the fact he accomplished jack shit at the NHL level.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 595719002/
Call me crazy, but I trust Yzerman to know who he wants coaching his team. He knows Gallant, and he was available. He passed.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:39 pm

Not to mention - Yzerman and Gallant worked together as part of Team Canada.

Perhaps there is indeed a skeleton or two in the Gallant closet, but if that were the case, it seems to me something would've leaked online by now.

What I do know is this - Gallant's Rangers had a terrific regular season.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun May 01, 2022 12:28 am

Yes happy that Jeff Blahill got fried about time Steve should've done it when he was first hired in 2019. It was 3 years too late glad it finally happen.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun May 01, 2022 7:53 am

Gerald Gallant has never lasted 3 full years in a job. I'm not sure what the fascination with the guy is.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 01, 2022 8:05 am

I wonder if Igor could be coaxed away from his new coaching job in the KLM?

I agree with Matt. Gallant would have been a poor choice. A VERY poor choice.

Could the somewhat new "Vice President of Hockey Operations" have some consideration in this?

I'm guessing that Mr. Y is going to try to find someone that is somewhat of a taskmaster with a bit of an edge, ala Scotty Bowman, to coach the team.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 01, 2022 9:18 am

Gerald Gallant has never lasted 3 full years in a job. I'm not sure what the fascination with the guy is.
He took a friggin' EXPANSION TEAM loaded with cast offs to the STANLEY CUP FINALS.

He also racked up a decent W-L record as head coach for the Florida Panthers. The front office of the Panthers was highly volatile during the entire decade of the 2010s; Gallant should have never been fired.
Gallant would have been a poor choice. A VERY poor choice.
That's a very bold statement on your part, Bryce, given the fact you offered zero support to substantiate your remark.

I keep reading how Blashill had a good reputation when it came to player development.

Gerard Gallant coached teams won two championships in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, and over three years, his teams compiled a 159-34-9 record. He left to take an assistant coaching position with Montreal, and he left that job when he was named head coach of the Panthers.

I am anxious to see how the Rangers fare in the playoffs. If they get defeated in the first round, I'll be the first to say that bypassing Gallant - in hindsight - was the right move.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun May 01, 2022 9:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:18 am
I am anxious to see how the Rangers fare in the playoffs. If they get defeated in the first round, I'll be the first to say that bypassing Gallant - in hindsight - was the right move.
Boy, now you've got me interested in the NHL playoffs for the first time in awhile! :!: :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:18 am
Gallant would have been a poor choice. A VERY poor choice.
That's a very bold statement on your part, Bryce, given the fact you offered zero support to substantiate your remark.
OK, here's my take. Although Mr. Gallant may be the right coach for a different team in the short term, because of his coaching style, he is not a long term hire for any team in today's NHL, much less the Red Wings. He's an old school guy, a players coach, not the type of coach this team is going to need going forward and into the future.

Not to mention, he thinks analytics has something to do with butt sex.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 01, 2022 4:46 pm

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your rationale; thanks.

I am a pro analytics guy, too. It can be an important tool if incorporated properly. However, my personal view is some coaches can still succeed with little to no usage of advanced analytics.

Like I said earlier, let's see how well the Rangers fare in the post season.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2022 9:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:46 pm
However, my personal view is some coaches can still succeed with little to no usage of advanced analytics.
I don't disagree that a coach like that can succeed for a season or two with the right team. It's just not a long term solution for a team that is being built for the future in today's NHL.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm

Barry Trotz is available...

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Mon May 09, 2022 5:08 pm

Trotz would be a solid hire.
Paul Maurice, maybe.
Jon Cooper has one year left on his contract. Don’t know if it’s an option or not. Wings could buy out the final year.
Joel Quenneville, no.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic