Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Red Wings move on from Blashill

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Red Wings move on from Blashill

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 09, 2022 5:18 pm

I'd be pretty happy with Trotz.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 am

Art Van Damme wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:08 pm
Trotz would be a solid hire.
Paul Maurice, maybe.
Jon Cooper has one year left on his contract. Don’t know if it’s an option or not. Wings could buy out the final year.
Joel Quenneville, no.
What’s wrong with Quenneville? A veteran coach is what this team needs.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 10, 2022 5:04 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 am
Art Van Damme wrote:
Paul Maurice, maybe.
Jon Cooper has one year left on his contract. Don’t know if it’s an option or not. Wings could buy out the final year.
Joel Quenneville, no.
https://www.wruf.com/headlines/2021/10/ ... buse-case/

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:04 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 am
Art Van Damme wrote:
Paul Maurice, maybe.
Joel Quenneville, no.
https://www.wruf.com/headlines/2021/10/ ... buse-case/
Damn. Did not know that. A veteran coach would be a good thing.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 11, 2022 11:22 pm

During his press conference, Stevie was somewhat adamant about hiring a person he "knew" and was comfortable with. While Trotz doesn't really check that box, Trotz's assistant Lane Lambert does. Just something to ponder.

Personally, I think he's really doing a sell job to get The Professor to come back to Detroit.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 16, 2022 12:03 pm

Lane Lambert is out. I do like Bryce's suggestion of Larionov.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Mon May 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Two interesting moves made this morning: Islanders hire Lane Lambert, Golden Knights fire Peter deBoer. Lambert's hiring by the Isles eliminates him as an option for the Red Wings.

Barry Trotz immediately becomes a front-runner for the Golden Knights job. I now do not consider him likely to even be interviewed by the Red Wings. Trotz does better with veteran teams and has a track record as a winner everywhere he's been. Natural fit in Vegas.

For the Wings, I'd now look at Paul Maurice, Claude Julien and Jim Montgomery. Quenneville for me is a hard pass; too old at 63, he probably wants to go to a veteran team, and he's lugging too much baggage from the Blackhawks' recent scandal. There must be better, younger options available.

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 pm

Trotz, Maurice and Julien are already being mentioned in Las Vegas media as on the Golden Knights' short list of candidates, along with Quenneville, John Tortorella and Rick Tocchet.

Let me say I'm also against Tortorella coming to the Wings. If you thought Babcock was prickly, Torts is the master. I think his intimidating style isn't the best method to get the most out of Larkin and the kids.

Neither do I see either Larionov (or Fedorov, for that matter) coming back to Detroit. Larionov's busy with his kids, and Fedorov has a good gig (relatively speaking) in Russia. I don't see a continuing Red Wings rebuild being the sort of project either one wants to take on. No upside for either one.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 16, 2022 4:42 pm

I've heard Livonia native Mike Vellucci's name being mentioned as a possibility. He certainly has creds working with young players and has been putting up nice numbers in the areas he's responsible for as an assistant.

Not sure about any prior relationship with the boss though.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:42 pm
I've heard Livonia native Mike Vellucci's name being mentioned as a possibility. He certainly has creds working with young players and has been putting up nice numbers in the areas he's responsible for as an assistant.

Did Jon Cooper have a preexisting relationship with Yzerman?

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm

One additional note: the Vegas media notes that Maurice may not be tempted by the Golden Knights as he is long-time friends with deBoer, and may not want to follow in his footsteps there. Maurice and deBoer became friends as youth teammates on the OHL's Windsor Spitfires in the mid-1980s, and Maurice hired deBoer as his assistant coach when Maurice became coach of the Detroit Junior Red Wings in the early '90s.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:42 pm

Did Jon Cooper have a preexisting relationship with Yzerman?
He coached Tampa's AHL affiliate for 3 years prior to being brought up to the National League. So he did have 3 years to get to know the guy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 18, 2022 6:53 am

Looks like the Wings are en route to hiring a second rate candidate.

Oh, did I mention the Rangers battled back from a 3 - 1 series deficit to eliminate the Penguins? ;)

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 18, 2022 11:32 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:53 am
Looks like the Wings are en route to hiring a second rate candidate.

Oh, did I mention the Rangers battled back from a 3 - 1 series deficit to eliminate the Penguins? ;)
There is no indication that the Wings are hiring a second rate hire just because they haven't been seriously linked to an experienced coach. They're still in the middle of a rebuild that is FINALLY showing some promise after wasting many years with bad Ken Holand draft picks (Rasmussen, Zadina, etc.). This won't change unless Stevie dramatically remakes the roster this summer.

Your obsession with Gallant is puzzling, to say the least.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 18, 2022 11:51 am

It's not puzzling at all. I've explained my rationale already.

Not hiring an experienced head coach would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Also not holding my breath that a dramatic roster reshaping will occur this summer.

I do agree that the rebuild showed some signs of life this past season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic