Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Tigers 2022

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: Detroit Tigers 2022

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:29 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:26 am
The bad news: The Twins traded for SP Jake Paddock who had a slump last year but has a good arm. I think this puts the Twins back in the mix.
I think you mean Chris Paddock. Yes, what looked like the start of a promising career has sort of paralleled the path of Fulmer, who of course found new life in the bullpen. Paddock will need to develop a third pitch to be an effective starter. The Twinkees are making bold moves with the likes of Correa, Urshela, and Sanchez. Buxton had a dynamite spring! We'll be seeing a lot of them in the next couple months.

I'm expecting a competitive divisional race. :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46 am

Not firing Ausmus after the 2015 season was, by far, Avila's biggest sin. That team was still salvageable with the right manager. A rebuild might not have been required for quite a while had a wise move been made at skipper at that time.

Castellanos? That trade doesn't bother me. In the shortened 2020 season, he batted only .225. He was great offensively in 2021, but it remains to be seen if that simply wasn't a fluke, and he remains a mediocre defender:
As strong as Castellanos has been at the plate as a big leaguer, he's often struggled as a defender. According to Fangraphs, Castellanos has posted minus-93 defensive runs saved during his time in the majors. That's the worst figure among all fielders since Castellanos broke into the majors in 2013.
Source: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-c ... d=83544719

J.D. Martinez was the one player I was truly saddened to see leave. Was placed absurdly low in the batting order (i.e. behind a way-past-his-prime V. Mart) during his time here and never complained. The fact a guy with a .300 BA and .900 OPS often batted FIFTH behind V. Mart after V. Mart's productivity had dropped off big time is absurd.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:51 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:44 pm
Indeed!

Tell ya what, I had some doubts regarding Al Avila's abilities as GM in the past, but for the moment, I think he is the best GM among our four professional teams.
This is ridiculous in that Steve Yzerman has already built a franchise that became a multiple cup winner.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Let me clarify - in terms of accomplishments as GM while serving in such capacity in our town, Avila is the best at the moment.

I apologize for my earlier sloppiness. In terms of GM tenures as a whole among active GMs (including time employed by other organizations), I definitely agree that Yzerman's track record is best.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 pm
Let me clarify - in terms of accomplishments as GM while serving in such capacity in our town, Avila is the best at the moment.

I apologize for my earlier sloppiness. In terms of GM tenures as a whole among active GMs (including time employed by other organizations), I definitely agree that Yzerman's track record is best.
It's also with noting that Raymond and Seider are going to be tremendous building blocks.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:32 pm

I admire Mr. Yzerman tremendously as a person and do believe the team will make the postseason either next season or the following season. Definitely rooting for his success.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:15 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:51 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:44 pm
Indeed!

Tell ya what, I had some doubts regarding Al Avila's abilities as GM in the past, but for the moment, I think he is the best GM among our four professional teams.
This is ridiculous in that Steve Yzerman has already built a franchise that became a multiple cup winner.
As a player, yes. The 2008 club was mainly Ken Holland’s doing as far as the executive side.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 am

I assumed Matt was referring to the Lightning. They won their second Stanley Cup in 2020, essentially with Yzerman's players.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 am
I assumed Matt was referring to the Lightning. They won their second Stanley Cup in 2020, essentially with Yzerman's players.
That makes sense. I thought he was looking at it just from the Wings’ accomplishments.

As far as the Tigers, I was looking at the box score of today’s game(which was atrocious), and attendance was under 16000! I am not sure if this is a result of the lockout or not, but I was shocked to see that. Yesterday, I understood being it was 40 degrees, but we had a mid 50s day. To be at 38% capacity during the opening weekend is embarrassing.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Nice win today. I hate the fucking Red Sox. Bullpen has looked good, though Soto scares the crap out if me. Baez coming thru and Meadows was a steal. Tigers will make baseball interesting this year.

The censorship king from out of state.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:06 am

JA-VY! JA-VY! JA-VY!

Matt Manning had the right stuff yesterday; only the multiple-aforementioned J.D. Martinez ruined his day. Bullpen looked great again, but Martinez made a good bid to ruin Soto's day as well.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Tigers pitching looks like a hot pile of shit so far in this young season.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:06 pm
I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem to vary from game to game. Matt Manning had an outstanding start his first time out and the bullpen has been mostly adequate to good with a few exceptions. It's our lack of timely hitting which most concerns me, but it's still early.

I fully expected the likes of Baddoo to come falling back to Earth; he's been looking very susceptible to the high fastball.

- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:56 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:29 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:06 pm
I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem to vary from game to game. Matt Manning had an outstanding start his first time out and the bullpen has been mostly adequate to good with a few exceptions. It's our lack of timely hitting which most concerns me, but it's still early.

I fully expected the likes of Baddoo to come falling back to Earth; he's been looking very susceptible to the high fastball.
The main problem is the bullpen. The starting pitching will be fine.

Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:59 pm

Maybe bringing back Willie Horton will help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic